Carnival Mega Ships ?

southbayer

I was just curious as to why such a major cruise line like Carnival seems to me, to not follow Royal Caribbean's lead in really building mega ships ?

Carnival just seems to make then just a bit bigger than their current largest ship. They also seem to really take care of and update their current fleet without going crazy like Royal. I guess its some kind of strategy, that maybe when the bubble bursts, they won't be stuck with all those empty staterooms ?

But since I'm partial to Carnival, I think they should build just one huge ship, and it will be booked solid constantly.

Anyway, just something to think about.

I was just curious as to why such a major cruise line like Carnival seems to me, to not follow Royal Caribbean's lead in really building mega ships ?

Carnival just seems to make then just a bit bigger than their current largest ship. They also seem to really take care of and update their current fleet without going crazy like Royal. I guess its some kind of strategy, that maybe when the bubble bursts, they won't be stuck with all those empty staterooms ?

But since I'm partial to Carnival, I think they should build just one huge ship, and it will be booked solid constantly.

Anyway, just something to think about.

Off the top of my head I can think of two very good reasons...

First, Carnival's passengers aren't that interested in ships that size and especially with similar amenities.

Second, the economic model for vessels of that size may not seem promising....

I agree with Host Mach.

Carnival is hugely successful by doing what it does...so why change the game plan. Their ships average 105% occupancy over the year, they own most of the major cruiselines in the world - all of which are likewise successful. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Plus, only time will tell if those huge floating shopping malls with 6000 people will be what cruisers want and are prepared to repeat over and over again.

I remember another post a few months back that talked about why people go on a cruise. That is to be on a ship. Not to feel like they are in Central Park. I really agree! Sometimes just being on a ship is the destination.

I sorry but I think its a lot of bull that Carnival guests are not looking for mega ships. If that were the case Carnival would still be building ships like the Holiday. I would love to go on a RCL mega ship, but I have to pay for 5 of us to go. Carnival is the best bang for the buck for my family of 5. Carnival was smart in that they made cruising cheep enough for everyone. You won't see a change in ships until they stop sailing full. If this fuel price keeps up you can bet you will see service also keep going down.

I sorry but I think its a lot of bull that Carnival guests are not looking for mega ships. If that were the case Carnival would still be building ships like the Holiday. I would love to go on a RCL mega ship, but I have to pay for 5 of us to go. Carnival is the best bang for the buck for my family of 5. Carnival was smart in that they made cruising cheep enough for everyone. You won't see a change in ships until they stop sailing full. If this fuel price keeps up you can bet you will see service also keep going down.

I thought we are talking about "mega" ships, i.e., larger than the Conquest class. No one said passengers were not looking for big ships, but there comes a point where the marginal benefit of additional size is less than the marginal cost of that size, even for the customer.

I trust the Carnival bean counters and market analysts are on top of this. I don't blame them for not getting into a size war with RCI - where would the end be and who would be left holding the bag if demand substantially slipped?

IMO...I think that Carnival is selling to the majority and that it has such a big regular clientel that it works for them. The larger ships have great things to offer...and I think alot of families may want the larger ships for the kids to have plenty to do...As for me...I like the ships that Carnival has. They have a good variety..when I cruise and/or vacation I want to relax...I don't want to fight with crowds and mega people. Sure I want to experience one of the Mega ships that RC has ...but I think..JUST ONCE...just to see it and see the Royal Promenade (that is pretty much the only reason..I'd like to book a room that overlooks the Promenade)..I personally would simply book that kind of ship during an 'off season' for families and kids.

I think Carnival should build a 1 MEGA ship...but stick to the fleet it has so far...They are plenty big enough..and have great things to offer everyone.

I agree with Host Mach.

Carnival is hugely successful by doing what it does...so why change the game plan. Their ships average 105% occupancy over the year' date=' they own most of the major cruiselines in the world - all of which are likewise successful. [b']If it ain't broke, don't fix it![/b]

Plus, only time will tell if those huge floating shopping malls with 6000 people will be what cruisers want and are prepared to repeat over and over again.

So very true!!!! ;)

I thought we are talking about "mega" ships, i.e., larger than the Conquest class. No one said passengers were not looking for big ships, but there comes a point where the marginal benefit of additional size is less than the marginal cost of that size, even for the customer.

I trust the Carnival bean counters and market analysts are on top of this. I don't blame them for not getting into a size war with RCI - where would the end be and who would be left holding the bag if demand substantially slipped?

If you look at carnivals lager ship outside of a coffee bar, they have done is to make them longer and put in more cabins. Even the water works they took out the topless deck to make room for it. Don't get me wrong I love carnival, but I think if RCL can drop there price for a cruise I know I would give them a try.

A problem with a 6000 pax mega ship is the limited port infrastructures. This limits the ports that this size ship can visit.

Debarkation of a ship this size would be very painful with the present terminals.

I think Carnivals strategy on the size of the ship is based on the ports of call.

The Mariner was a magnificent ship with a gorgerous Promenade and a great parade. The captain rode down the Promenade on a scooter! BUT...the food wasn't very good and the price was too high. I enjoyed the ice shaking show and I watched my kids rock climb.

Archived