Message to all first-time snorkellers

Alvida

OOPs My Bad! Next time just start a new thread everyone here is "usually" (Bad Islandbear) helpful :o

Now let's try and be helpful.

As long as your masks fit snug to your face without having to tighten the head strap to much you should be fine with the masks and snorkel. Just to make sure go to a swimming pool and try them out. Make sure no hair get inbetween the mask and your face to break the seal. If they leak take them back and try again. If the Sportings good store can't help you head to a dive shop. They will make sure you get a great fit. Nothing worse than a leaky mask. Make sure that the lens are clean before you use them. Glass lens can be softly cleaned with a little tooth paste on the inside. This will help with fogging.

I always were fins because they allow you to move to where the fish are with as little splashing and therefore don't scare the fish off. Also you will want to start shooting down 10-15 feet into a pocket of fish and then slowly float back to the surface. Too Cool! the first time you do it!

Here are a list of shore dives from Cozumel. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Caribbean/Cozumel/index.htm When you find one that is interesting Google it and just keep reading up on the ones that seem the most interesting to you, then go and have fun. If you want to spend some money on the trip hire a dive boat to take you on a snorkeling tour. Lots of options here on the Cozumel thread. or some of the folks here will pipe in on recommendations.

About snorkel vests. They are like the airline life vests. they pack flat and had tubes you inflate them with. A regular life vest would never allow you to swim down where the pretty fishes are. Now do you need one? All cruise ship snorkeling tour require you to were one. If you don't need the flotation you just swim with it and forget it. If you are a good swimmer and are just doing shore snorkeling I wouldn't think you would want one. If you tire out easily and would like the option of a few puffs and being able to float for a while, then look at a site like leisurepro you can buy a snorkel vest for under $50 bucks.

And finally never feed the fish, YOUR NOT THEIR MOTHER!

Have fun and enjoy one of the best sports in the world!

One tip for when you decide to dive down deep for a closer look: pinch your nose shut and blow out with your mouth closed. This will relieve the pressure in your ears (works on airplanes too). You may need to do it twice if you're diving in really deep.

Soon to be 1st time snorkeler (is that a word?) but I am hearing you all say good equipment is a must. What is the approximate cost of a decent snorkel set? I bought a U.S. Divers set from COSTCO for about $39. Is this within range and a good brand? I have tried everything on and they seem to fit snug but haven't been in the water with it yet.

I will practice locally in the pool and when weather permits go to the lake. Any recommended sites for newbies? Thank so much.

Soon to be 1st time snorkeler (is that a word?) but I am hearing you all say good equipment is a must. What is the approximate cost of a decent snorkel set? I bought a U.S. Divers set from COSTCO for about $39. Is this within range and a good brand? I have tried everything on and they seem to fit snug but haven't been in the water with it yet.
Price range doesn't matter as much as fit. IF the mask fits you well, then that's what you want. If doesn't fit comfortably, it isn't worth taking.

Any recommended sites for newbies? Thank so much.
Tell us your ports of call first.

Southern Carbbean Seafarer...Grand Turks Caicos), Samana Dom. Rep), Kralendjk (Bonaire-Antilles), and Williamstad Curacoa-Antilles)

My sister has snorkeled St. Thomas Virgin Is. but other than that neither of us are familar with these areas at all.

As an experienced swimmer, lifeguard, Water Safety Instructor, and avid fan of snorkeling, I have found that most snorkel tours, especially through the cruise lines offer good instruction. However, it can be frustrating to have people come along on these tours who have no experience and struggle the entire tour. It takes the focus away from snorkeling for those of us who have no problems and have paid quite a bit of money to enjoy the reefs. My best advice would be to find a local pool or lake and practice swimming and snorkeling BEFORE you try it in the ocean. This will give you the knowledge of what snorkeling is about and if you struggle, maybe this is not the excursion to pick on your cruise vacation.

Southern Carbbean Seafarer...Grand Turks Caicos), Samana Dom. Rep), Kralendjk (Bonaire-Antilles), and Williamstad Curacoa-Antilles)

My sister has snorkeled St. Thomas Virgin Is. but other than that neither of us are familar with these areas at all.

WOW not a bad choice for your first snorkeling adventure! These are some GREAT locations. I would start off with booking the classic stingray city group trip in Grand Cayman. You will get instruction and have a special experience. Then do some shore trips ( dive from shore, cheaper and more laid back) in the other ports. If you love it and have the dough keep doing group trips. Most hit 2-3 sites and include some sailing and rum punch on the trip home.

For example, BONAIRE is the center of the universe for some people. Check out these sites http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/BonaireN/index.htm

Get to know your equipment in a pool before you go. Also read through a dozen or so old threads on snorkeling and you will get tons of good tips. Then feel free to come here and ask anything. You will have a GREAT TIME!

Thanks for the site, that will be very helpful. I have read through some of the threads and plan to do more this week-end, egads I have too much time before I go. I will also practice and practice more cause I don't want to be a newbie on a tour! Great information Islandbear and BroncosFan2010.

If you really want to "Practice" here is a move that will double your enjoyment.

Most people just cruise along the surface looking straight down or a little forward hands by their sides and slowly kicking their flippers. Breath slowly, stay relaxed and enjoy! Thats Snorkeling 101.

Now for the next step. When you see a group of cute little fishies, take a deep breath, tuck your head down, kick down about 10- 15 feet, float quietly, slowly exhale through your mouth as needed (keep about half lung full), let your body naturally float silently up past the pretty fishies, enjoy the show. Then one or two quick kicks to the surface, level out, mask still in the water snorkel clear of the water and BLOW! Just like a whale you will clear your snorkel of all the water, now take a tentative little breath. If the snorkel is clear start breathing again. never once taking your eyes off the fish!

If your snorkel has a little water in it you can learn to bubble a little air slowly through it, to get enough in your lungs to once again, BLOW and clear the tube. If it has a lot of water in it relax! Just tip your head up spit out the mouthpiece take a big breath and smile like a little kid!

The most important this is to relax, go at your own pace, and enjoy yourself. There is no test at the end of the day!:D

great info thanks!

I didn't start a new thread because i figured someone would have scolded me for not "searching" lol...

one never knows on these boards lol.

I have taken the discover scuba course. we just never did any part of snorkeling so i did learn how to equalize (i think that's what it is called)

we are going out on a deep sea fishing charter in cozumel. it is a combo fishing & snorkeling trip. now i have a little idea of what to expect.

thanks everyone, and keep the tips coming if you have more. there are always people searching on here for help!

thanks again!

Ooooh... Great itnerary!!!

Bonaire: fabulous snorkeling! You want to go to Klein Bonaire. Look for a ship's excursion called like "Klein Bonaire Water Taxi," or something like that. We paid $30 each in '07, I think. It's drift snorkeling. You enter the water at the far right end of the beach (as facing the water), and let the current take you for a few hundred yards down along the beach. There's a drop-off about 30-50 feet off shore, where lots of fish hang out. We even saw a turtle! After you've drifted for a bit, go back up to the beach and repeat the whole process.

I've heard that there's decent snorkeling within walking distance of where the ship docks, too, but we haven't tried that.

Grand Turk: we snorkeled last Thanksgiving week with Blue Water Divers. It was so fabulous. They took us to two snorkel spots -- "The Wall," where the sea floor drops off from 50 feet to 7000 feet, and a shallower spot with coral and lots of fish. Both spots were great, but we saw a lot more fish at the shallower spot.

I'm currently planning our next visit to Grand Turk in early March, and we're going to try beach snorkeling. See the Grand Turk board for more info, but apparently there's good beach snorkeling right by the pier in front of Jack's Shack and near the government pier, and also at Governor's Beach.

We pack swim noodles for flotation. Cheap & easy. But now I want to try diving a little, as Islandbear described, so I may need to rethink the swim noodles.

Have fun!!!

Mary Ellen

Thanks for the info. I am a little worried about my floating ability and have heard of using noodles, I am going to practice here at the pools and then to the lakes and see if I really need anything at all. The 7000 foot drop sounds way to much for me...I am a good swimmer but a large open area of water (unless I'm on the ship) with that much more water below me would freak me out...and I would need to have some kind of floatation device.

I will practice locally in the pool and when weather permits go to the lake. Any recommended sites for newbies? Thank so much.

I am a diver. I have 6-7 different masks. I paid anywhere from $30 to $100 each. And the one that I like the best was $50, my wife hates that same mask (good thing) and prefers one of the $30-40 one. As for snorkel, it is basically a hollow tube. You can pick them up for $5-10, what you are paying extra for is stuff like flexabitiy, prevent water from coming in if splashed, protability/compactibilty. The ones we use are about $25 each.

So for a "good" set for one person you are looking at $40 to $200. I would recommed you go to a local scuba shop and actually try on some masks and see which fit the best before buying.

As for entering the water the best way is to stand up on the rail, do an arched backfilp. Just remember to cut the circle short so you don't come up under the boat and hit your head. And be careful of hitting others on the boat with your fins when you start the flip. :)

A few more things about snorkel equipment. The first time my wife and I went we used equipment provided by the operator. I wear a size 14 shoe. I had a hard time getting fins that fit so for our next snorkel trip I bought my own....and I had to buy expensive ones in order to get my size. So if have big feet (size 13 +) be aware.

I have a mustach. I put patroleum jelly (Vasaline) on my 'stach. This keeps the mask watertight. I just keep a small tube in the case with my mask. There are many products that will keep your mask from fogging up but spit will also work. I also bought a "dry" snorkel.

The vest are similar to airline vests except that they have a strap that goes from back to front between your legs. This crotch strap keeps the vest from riding up. I usually don't inflate mine unless I want to take a rest and just float.

Archived