Juneau Whale Watching?

jesusfreak7

Harv and Marv's was great! Very personal (only 6 people on the boat - ours only had us four!), the guide - Marv (real name: Jay) in our case, was so enthusiastic, interesting and informative. A Juneau boy, born and bred, so he had lots of great information to pass along. We saw tons of whales - up close and personal. Didn't want our tour to end. next time, we'll take the longer tour - and there WILL be a next time! Can't recommend them highly enough! If you go on their website - harvandmarvs.com, you can see the various tours they offer, the cost, and several testimonies to the great trip they provide! If you do book with them, tell Eileen that Linda and Gary from Penna. send our best!

the other one to try is orca enterprises...

the problem is that it's getting late, many of the small boat vendors could be sold out. if it's important to you, i would start calling to make reservations.

the other one to try is orca enterprises...

the problem is that it's getting late, many of the small boat vendors could be sold out. if it's important to you, i would start calling to make reservations.

This is so true. I called Harv & Marv about three weeks ago for our upcoming cruise. They were booked. We went with Orca Enterprises...Capt. Larry will be giving the tour and I've read wonderful things about this company and Capt. Larry!

I'll be sure to post when we return!

Another vote for Marv & Harv! We sent with them two years ago and had a great time. We saw a large number of humpbacks and had many photo ops. We're going with them next week and I can't wait!

The small independents get great reviews in Juneau. Particularly for young active people they should be wonderful.

Personally, I am a bit more on the mature relaxed side. I really prefer the large luxurious boats specially designed for whale watching that are used by Allen Marine, the ship's tour operator. They are roomy, have great views, and also snack bar and restroom facilities. Their staff is very knowledgable and very helpful in advising on the best picture opportunities. You have the choice of staying indoors in the warm cabin with beautiful picture windows, or going out on the upper deck. It is pretty much the "EZ" version of the whale watching tour.

You have to decide what your style is and which is best for you.

Have a GREAT cruise!

when we went with orca, we had one of the other capts acting as naturalist. capt larry was on the helm, capt shaun was out look-out and lecturer. i liked thier boats for several reasons, the doors are nice and wide, nothing to step over. (some doors on boats, have that lip..that i tip over:eek: ) i spent the whole time on the back - open- viewing area, DH stayed inside at the big windows. the weather was miserable that day, it was nice to have a big area to walk around, find the spot that works for you.

Harv and Marv are really busy these days. I tried to make reservations with them for Sept 2009 today and they are already booked.

They are popular... and I have bad luck!

Toyz... how many people are were on your Orca Ent boat? thanks!

thier biggest boat...the awesome orca (better known as the purple boat) holds about 30? we had 12 to 15, the day we went. it has a nice open viewing aft and another viewing area over the cabin. it's handicap access, flat floors, no lips at doorways, nice restroom. i trip over my own feet, i need room to walk around.

i had a great time..the boat was comfortable and i got to see several humpbacks, sea lions playing a few feet from the aft of the boat...even with rain and sleet..it was a wonderful day.

1101752426_25WhaleswithCaptLarry.jpg.c8bf602d34180a9adf7893a33ef3a3b6.jpg

Ah, cool. Thanks!

I was hoping for a smaller boat, but with Harv and Marv booked on my day, I think I will go ahead and book with Orca.

Thanks again.

We used Captain Jack whose boat is the Scania. It was great and there were only 6 of us onboard. Here's the web address:

http://www.whale-watch.biz/

Another enthusiastic vote for Harv & Marv. We just returned this week from our Alaskan adventure. We had the pleasure of going whale watching with Jay on July 2nd. We couldn't have had a better time. My wife, who is not easily impressed, continues to talk about what a great experience it was and how great Jay was as our captain/guide. You really got the feeling that Jay was as excited as you were to see the whales. Jay's brother (Jack), who drove the van, was also great, basically providing a guided tour through Juneau on the way to Auke Bay and during our return, even stopping by Mendenhall Glacier for a quick look before returning us to town.

While every tour guide/operator throughout our 22 day trip was very nice, you really felt that the folks with Harv & Marv were being completely genuine with their enthusiasm and attitude.

Archived