What are your thoughts on the new Celebrity dress code

That doesn't make it appropriate.

Sadly it is a matter of giving in to the lowest common denominator. The staff was tired of being abused for trying to enforce to requested attire.

Again, I LOVE JEANS and wear them to dine in many places, but not on a cruise ship or anywhere else that has made it known that they are not appropriate. :p

If it is clearly stated that jeans are allowed on the dress code for that certain venue........then it is most certainly appropriate.

Well it does look like somebody goofed, and it amazes me that it took a week to correct the error, but they web page verbage has been changed and the word jeans removed.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000fwjS_eWdwWc1HxUUPALY0nu:12hdbcuh7?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

I just can't believe it took a week to get one word changed on a web site.

This really is not going to affect the way I dress this being my first cruise I intend to dress up everynight, on informal nites I will be wearing nice dresse's more cocktail than casual, I really do not care what the other passenger's wear.

Just pour the wine and pass the shrimp.

Well it does look like somebody goofed, and it amazes me that it took a week to correct the error, but they web page verbage has been changed and the word jeans removed.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000fwjS_eWdwWc1HxUUPALY0nu:12hdbcuh7?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

I just can't believe it took a week to get one word changed on a web site.

Thanks for posting this. Although I've only been on Celebrity once (Feb 08) I loved the ambiance and was hoping that the information was incorrect!

Bettie

I have still experienced that to this day on Carnival;)

I have to say I'm not sure what people wear to board the ship has anything to do with how they dress for dinner:rolleyes:

I should have mentioned...not caring for Carnival had nothing to do with the other pax and they way they were dressed :)

I didn't like the ship.

I very well know you cannot judge a persons wealth (or not) by the way they are dressed, I've known too many well-to-do people who rarely dress well. I also have a friend who only wear the best, she shops garage sales!

I have still experienced that to this day on Carnival;)

I have to say I'm not sure what people wear to board the ship has anything to do with how they dress for dinner:rolleyes:

My comments are taken from threads I read on CC. So many times people are asking for what they can get away with, what's the bare minimum. It seems to be a common question now, used to be people argued whether over tux vs. suit here a very few short years ago.

Read my post carefully, I was complimenting the people who boarded the ship. They cleaned up well.

My comments are taken from threads I read on CC. So many times people are asking for what they can get away with, what's the bare minimum. It seems to be a common question now, used to be people argued whether over tux vs. suit here a very few short years ago.

Read my post carefully, I was complimenting the people who boarded the ship. They cleaned up well.

Yes some of those comments on the boards are from people that just like to stir the pot. In reality it is just not so. The majority dress to the nines.

If you notice it is the same few:cool:

I read your post loud and clear.....

jeans.jpg

This actually looks okay (still inappropriate for a nice dining room IMHO) but the men I have seen wearing jeans in the dining room were more of the "Joe's Crab Shack" t-shirt, baggy cargo type jeans and tennis shoe type :rolleyes: sometimes accessorized with a ball cap.

I'll say this...If this guy sat down next to me on any ship I've ever sailed on I wouldn't be looking at his jeans! If everyone who wore jeans put it together this nicely,that would be great,although I think that's just a tad unrealistic.The reality is getting to be more like the guy in the number 88 jersey,posted by Iheartbda

I'll say this...If this guy sat down next to me on any ship I've ever sailed on I wouldn't be looking at his jeans! If everyone who wore jeans put it together this nicely,that would be great,

I believe that is what most on here have been saying all along, it not the jeans... per say..... it is how you put it together.......

For some people when they hear the word "jeans" they picture in their minds.....yard work clothes:rolleyes:

That man in the picture is certainly not ready to mow his yard:D

I believe that is what most on here have been saying all along, it not the jeans... per say..... it is how you put it together.......

For some people when they hear the word "jeans" they picture in their minds.....yard work clothes:rolleyes:

That man in the picture is certainly not ready to mow his yard:D

Yes, I know that's the point. I've rarely, if at all,have seen anyone who put it together like this on a cruise. if they did you wouldn't have half the posters (Me included) reacting so negatively to the jeans thing. I really don't understand the need for some to be so adamant about wearing jeans.

Yes, I know that's the point. I've rarely, if at all,have seen anyone who put it together like this on a cruise. if they did you wouldn't have half the posters (Me included) reacting so negatively to the jeans thing. I really don't understand the need for some to be so adamant about wearing jeans.

Could be they looked so nice you didn't notice the jeans;) I on the other hand have seen many dressed like this......

As far as adamant..........could be because people have the same thoughts as I do in post #59;)

But regardless no matter how nicely someone dresses in their jeans you will still get the negative posts........

I'll say this...If this guy sat down next to me on any ship I've ever sailed on I wouldn't be looking at his jeans! If everyone who wore jeans put it together this nicely,that would be great,although I think that's just a tad unrealistic.The reality is getting to be more like the guy in the number 88 jersey,posted by Iheartbda

I know what you mean, but I often dress similar to this, although I don't look nearly as good as this guy.:p I actually don't even own a t-shirt that isn't used as an undergarment or part of layering, I'm just not built to wear t-shirts (little too fat!:D ).

MAC

As Suzanne pointed out, it appears that the "jeans" option has been completely eliminated from the X website when discussing the "smart casual and above" suggestions.

I also got the CCNews with the picture and caption about "dressing for dinner" and thought it was a bit incongruous given the discussion on here but it seems to have been straightened out (at least for now).

Yay!!

Yeah, but it could be a VERY expensive jersey like this one at $314.95, doesn't that make it OK?:p

p1369241_customback.chain]

Hey, I have one like this except the number is 08 and it says Aikman and has stars on the shoulders. I normally only wear in on Sundays during football season but are you telling me I CAN WEAR IT ON A CRUISE:eek: :D :eek: :D

Hey, I have one like this except the number is 08 and it says Aikman and has stars on the shoulders. I normally only wear in on Sundays during football season but are you telling me I CAN WEAR IT ON A CRUISE:eek: :D :eek: :D

Only if you paid BIG BUCKS for it.:D

*Some people think that if something is expensive it's ok to wear it, as in, "my blanks were EXPENSIVE".

*The above statement may or may not reflect the opinion of the poster.:p

Celebrity has announced that they are eliminating informal night, which I can live with, but what shocked me was that they are going to permit jeans on casual night. ...

Wow, this topic just goes on and on, doesn't it? There is a similar thread going on right now about this called "jeans or no jeans - the confusion continues". You might want to check it out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=809584&page=12

After a week of debating whether Celebrity really means jeans or no jeans, it seems different Celebrity media and communications have said many conflicting things on this topic. Several people received email saying it was recommended that there should be no jeans, but then some people heard that Celebrity would never turn away a person in jeans. Some people said jeans were definitely allowed. Phone conversations, brochures, website...etc...all say something slightly different. Then this "definitive" posting came out this morning. See below.

The below message should make you smile. But I doubt it will stop the jeans discussion frenzy!

"The definitive word came down from Celebrity - No jeans in the dining room.

Please see Host Anne's post -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=811415

Here is the message by Host Anne.

icon1.gifNew Dress Code Clarifications! PLEASE READ!

I’d like to share some important information that is intended to clarify Celebrity’s new dress code policy that goes into effect on August 1. This was sent to us from a Celebrity spokesperson:

"We apologize for the miscommunication about our new dress code, and are grateful to the members of CruiseCritic who have inquired about it. Celebrity's new dress code across the fleet (with the exception of Celebrity Xpedition) is designed to ease our guests' apparel planning and packing, with the elimination of 'informal' nights. Many of our guests told us they found the 'informal' designation somewhat confusing, but repeatedly said they enjoy casual nights, and want to retain the elegant tradition of formal nights.

'Smart casual and above' allows guests to wear skirts and pants with sweaters, sport shirts or blouses -- or more dressy apparel, if they choose -- on every night but formal nights. Our guests are asked only to refrain from wearing jeans, t-shirts, swimwear, robes, bare feet, tank tops or baseball caps at any time in the main or specialty restaurants. And during evening hours, no shorts or flip-flops will be allowed in the main or specialty restaurants.

Celebrity's new dress code will take effect on all sailings beginning on or after August 1, 2008. There will be one formal night on itineraries up to six nights, two on seven- to 11-night cruises, and three on 12-night or longer itineraries."

If you have additional questions, please post them and we’ll try to get answers for everyone!

THANKS!

~Host Anne

Celebrity Message Board Moderator

hostanne@cruisecritic.com"

Celebrity has announced that they are eliminating informal night, which I can live with, but what shocked me was that they are going to permit jeans on casual night. ...

Wow, this topic just goes on and on, doesn't it? There is a similar thread going on right now about this called "jeans or no jeans - the confusion continues". You might want to check it out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=809584&page=12

After a week of debating whether Celebrity really means jeans or no jeans, it seems different Celebrity media and communications have said many conflicting things on this topic. Several people received email saying it was recommended that there should be no jeans, but then some people heard that Celebrity would never turn away a person in jeans. Some people said jeans were definitely allowed. Phone conversations, brochures, website...etc...all say something slightly different. Then this "definitive" posting came out this morning. See below.

The below message should make you smile. But I doubt it will stop the jeans discussion frenzy!

"The definitive word came down from Celebrity - No jeans in the dining room.

Please see Host Anne's post -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=811415

Here is the message by Host Anne.

icon1.gifNew Dress Code Clarifications! PLEASE READ!

I’d like to share some important information that is intended to clarify Celebrity’s new dress code policy that goes into effect on August 1. This was sent to us from a Celebrity spokesperson:

"We apologize for the miscommunication about our new dress code, and are grateful to the members of CruiseCritic who have inquired about it. Celebrity's new dress code across the fleet (with the exception of Celebrity Xpedition) is designed to ease our guests' apparel planning and packing, with the elimination of 'informal' nights. Many of our guests told us they found the 'informal' designation somewhat confusing, but repeatedly said they enjoy casual nights, and want to retain the elegant tradition of formal nights.

'Smart casual and above' allows guests to wear skirts and pants with sweaters, sport shirts or blouses -- or more dressy apparel, if they choose -- on every night but formal nights. Our guests are asked only to refrain from wearing jeans, t-shirts, swimwear, robes, bare feet, tank tops or baseball caps at any time in the main or specialty restaurants. And during evening hours, no shorts or flip-flops will be allowed in the main or specialty restaurants.

Celebrity's new dress code will take effect on all sailings beginning on or after August 1, 2008. There will be one formal night on itineraries up to six nights, two on seven- to 11-night cruises, and three on 12-night or longer itineraries."

If you have additional questions, please post them and we’ll try to get answers for everyone!

THANKS!

~Host Anne

Celebrity Message Board Moderator

<A href="mailto:hostanne@cruisecritic.com"><B>

That doesn't make it appropriate.

Sadly it is a matter of giving in to the lowest common denominator. The staff was tired of being abused for trying to enforce to requested attire.

Again, I LOVE JEANS and wear them to dine in many places, but not on a cruise ship or anywhere else that has made it known that they are not appropriate. :p

I don't think these changes are just about the staff's reluctance to police the fashions I think it has to do with empty tables.

The last cruise we were on was a long cruise and the first formal night was spectacular, the second and third formal nights the main dining room was only half full. It was fully staffed with few guests to serve. The specialty restaurants were full.

I love smart casual and I have never equated blue jeans with a cruise unless it is of the northern climes but times and demographics are changing.

...The last cruise we were on was a long cruise and the first formal night was spectacular, the second and third formal nights the main dining room was only half full. It was fully staffed with few guests to serve. The specialty restaurants were full...

Do you think all those tables were empty because that many people wanted to wear jeans to dinner?

No just a large number of cruisers who are not quite so enamored with the requirements for formal nights, hence some of the loosening of or changing of dress code requirements.:p

We took a 12 night TA last fall and we skipped the dinningroom 3 times. Once we went to Oceanliners, once we just ate in the lido resturant and once we had room service.

Now we ate in the dinningroom on all 3 formal nights-this was more that we did not mind missing the dinnigroom food a night or two as we were on a longer cruise.

We had 6 pm dinner and on the port days that we were in port longer, we took advantage of that and simply ate once we returned to ship and did not worry about returning in time for dinner.

ITA...with the OP. I think with these changes to become so lax on cruise lines (Celebrity and possibly others in the future) cruising will indeed lose some of it's elegance. (JMHO)

I do not foresee these changes occurring on European cruises at all if ever. In Europe dressing more formal and wearing jeans all the time is not accepted as a norm. Guess we could learn something from Europeans on what real elegance is about...they seem to do it very well...I personally think so. (again JMHO)

All I can say is I still dress for dinner and will be wearing my tux on formal night. DW and I both like to dress and what we found on the last cruise is that the people who were dressed gravitated to each other. I guess we are just old fashioned about it and not likely to change.

Archived