Shore excursion Mekong Delta

lolabarola

Hi

We're on the Diamond Princess in November and it looks as tho a possible shore excursion is to the Mekiong Delta. It looks really interesting but its a 3 hour trip each way, so wondered if anyone had already experienced the trip and could say if its as good as it looks? I gather the markets are only trading first thing in the morning so by the time the excursions arrive, much is closed. I've also read that dengue fever is rife in the Mekong Delta - both of these things are obviously a bit of a deterrent,but if its a real must see, we'll take our chances!

I did a land trip a couple of years ago with my kids. We left for the Meekong from central Saigon I Chose an overnight trip because of the distance and wanting to see the floating markets.Yes the expereince is as good as it looks, for me it was even better, you can only appreciate the vastness when you see it first hand. I had no issues with mosquitos or illness.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Mekong and wouldn't have missed it for the world, despite the mosquitoes.

Here's some defensive advice to combat the bugs: Take an insect repellent with DEET (such as Off Deep Woods or Jungle Juice). Also, I wash my drip-dry clothes in Camp Suds with citronella. I wear long sleeves and long pants, even though the heat and humidity are oppressive in S.E. Asia.

I spent an overnight in the Mekong in 2007, and did a day tour this past spring. You can read about my experiences at

http://www.planetsukey.com/PlanetSukey/Saigon_and_the_Mekong_Delta__-_April_5-6,_2007.html

and

http://www.planetsukey.com/PlanetSukey/Saigon,_Vietnam_-_April_11-13,_2008.html

-Sukey-

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lolabarola!

We are also in the Diamond Princess in November and would like to visit the Mekong Delta.

Where can we get information on a tour going to the Mekong Delta?

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

We did a day in the Mekong Delta with a pvt guide. We were on Regent. I don't recall any 3 hour drive, so perhaps we docked in a different port.

We took an a/c van to a hotel and then boarded a boat to the delta. Once there we did much walking through small paths, learning about the vegetation and 'the American war'. We stopped at several small homes to see their local crafts...tree climbing to cut us a fresh coconut, a coconut candy making 'plant'..a home w. tropical fruits and some home musical artists. We had some fabulous Vietnamese foods for lunch. We rode in an ox cart........and in a sampan thru the narrow canals. All in all it was fabulous. No mosquitos that I recall.

Archived