Hydrofoil in St. Petersburg

When I did it in 2002, the hydrofoil went both ways. The dock in St. Petersburg was near the Hermitage. However, when the weather is bad, they just stop running the hydrofoil. I went to Peterhof with a Russian guide and when we went back to the dock for the return trip, there was a sign posted only in Russian saying that all remaining trips for that day had been cancelled. There were plenty of forlorn tourists sitting on the dock who couldn't read Russian. My guide told them what the sign said. We then went back through the Palace grounds to the street where we caught a cab for about the same price as the hydrofoil would have been. However, I felt fortunate that my guide knew where to get the cabs and negotiated in Russian.

I am trying to deceid between a value tour with Alla or Denrus one includes the hydrofoil the other, the canal, which is best. If hydrofoil is subject to weather am i better with canal or is this also down to the weather. We will be there in August.

The only hydrofoil that I know of is the one that goes across the gulf of Finland to Peterhof. The purpose of the hydrofoil is speed, not scenic cruising, but it's a fun way to get to Peterhof. If you're booking a tour, I wouldn't worry about cancellation because the tour company will have a Plan B.

There are river cruises on the Neva, also leaving from a dock near the Hermitage but I don't think any of the boats are hydrofoils because they go very slowly back and forth on the river with narration in Russian. (They give you a map and it's easy to pick out the buildings).

There were (and probably still are) two kinds of canal cruises, one that goes partly on the river and then through the canals, and another type that just goes on the canals.

For scenery, I liked the river/canal ride better than the river tour. When you are touring the canals, you see lots of interesting buildings and it's peaceful and relaxing. The trip itself is the destination. There isn't any end point as there is on the hydrofoil.

• 2 weeks later...

We're just back from the July 9 Crown Princess. We used Red October and did the hydrofoil to the Peterhof and also did a canal tour. Do both if you can. Both vessels had covered seating if the weather required it.

The canal trip was spectacular. Definitely the highlight of our trip. The hydrofoil ride was interesting and relaxing, but not nearly as impressive. It you have to choose, definitely opt for the canal trip.

Archived