Changing to RCCL after NCL - will I regret it?

Hi:

I have been cruising a very long time and have done over 7 with NCL but got annoyed with the prices increases and "nickel and dimning" so I booked a January 2009 from NYC to the Caribbean. Got a balcony mid ship. deck Good price just wondering if I did the right thing? I did like the free style a lot and booked a table for 2. Hope the service will be excellent. I did get good service and friendly staff on NCL. Will I get the same or more?

Wondering if I can get "express disembark" and can walk off from my cabin or do we have a "cattle call" somewhere.

We also enjoy NCL, along with RCCL, Princess, Carnival, & Celebrity.

I doubt that you will "regret" going on a non-Freestyle cruise. However, you may not get the table for 2 that you requested. They are usually in limited supply vs. the demand for them. Whatever your dining configuration, you will get to know the wait team and they will know your preferences such as iced tea with the meal or decaf coffee after.

Also, if you could define "nickle & diming" it would help. There are a lot of things charged for on ships. We really haven't seen any major difference in the items that are charged for on any of the above lines. So, I'm not sure that your experience is going to differ that much.

Charlie

Have never sailed NCL but just don't think you can go wrong sailing RCCL!! There may not be freestyle but everyone is there to make sure it is the best vacation of your life!!!!! If you are not happy with your dining room experience or table seating you can talk to the maitre d and he will bend over backwards to make you happy as will everyone on the ship!!

Hope this helps and hope you try RCCL!! Happy cruising!:)

I don't mind NCL and go on them when our retiree group plans a cruise or when it is the best for our situation. However, I MUCH PREFER Royal Caribbean. There are so many reasons why.

I LOVE traditional seating. And those I cruise with do as well. Back when there were just two of us cruising, we always requested a large table and had a great time. If you get an unpleasant table, you can request a change. Now we pretty much fill up a table with family and friends.

I think Royal Caribbean has the best loyalty benefits.

And I just today got a $400 price drop after final payment was already made. NCL doesn't do that.

Both lines are fine, but given a choice, I choose RCCL.

We sail RCCL, NCL and Princess.......you definitely won't regret going with RCCL, but you may miss the flexibility of Freestyle Cruising.

RCCL does let you walk off the ship with your luggage, too.......

Thanks! Most reassuring! We do like dining alone just the two of us. We both have busy business lives and hardly see each other during the week. We do the friendly stuff when we do the excusions.

The "nickel and diming" as silly as it sounds with small things 1) not giving a bar of face of soap 2) surcharging on more of the resturants which were once free 3) charging for time in the adult spa pool 4) really increasing the price on balacony AND just heard their new ships will have extra charge nightclubs. Guess they want to keep the non suite guests in their place.

Archived