Anyone from Calgary?

Can you recommend a reasonable hotel in Calgary, somewhere convenient to the airport and Saddledome? It has been over 25 years since I have been to Calgary, I can't imagine the current size of it....

We have flights arriving in Calgary, and departing from Edmonton, so are finding that one-way car rentals are ridiculously expensive. Would you happen to know of any 'car for hire' types? I can probably fly for less than renting a car.

Thanks for any advice you can give about hotels, etc. Will be in Calgary on August 11, and need to be in Edmonton for the 12th.

Can you recommend a reasonable hotel in Calgary, somewhere convenient to the airport and Saddledome? It has been over 25 years since I have been to Calgary, I can't imagine the current size of it....

We have flights arriving in Calgary, and departing from Edmonton, so are finding that one-way car rentals are ridiculously expensive. Would you happen to know of any 'car for hire' types? I can probably fly for less than renting a car.

Thanks for any advice you can give about hotels, etc. Will be in Calgary on August 11, and need to be in Edmonton for the 12th.

I'm from Calgary. A hotel convenient to the airport and the Saddledome. Hmmmmm...you haven't been to Calgary in a while. The 2 places are pretty far apart. Calgary is a city of 1 million plus and very expensive.

Can't help you on the car rental thing.

Would you be wanting to stay closer to the airport...or the Saddledome. The Saddledome is not in the nicest area. Airport is ok but not really close to anything.

Thanks very much, I appreciate knowing that the Saddledome isn't in such a great area.....I only really remember being at the airport, not knowing where it is in relation....and yes, expensive!! Hotels are very pricey, but will probably settle for something nearer to the airport and cab it over to the arena.

Thanks again.

There are lots of hotels close to the airport, cab fare to the Saddledome from there would cost around $50 one way. You might be better to get a hotel downtown and then take the airport shuttle back to the airport. None of them will be cheap though (Marriott, Hyatt, Delta).

I lived there for 10 years and have been back a few times over the years. Last year we stayed at the Sandman, right downtown. It was during World Figure Skating, so that's all that was available, and we were quite impressed. It's on the LRT so you can travel for free downtown and the price was reasonable. We arranged shuttles from the airport for a decent price.

Closer to the airport, the Sheraton Cavalier is good.

Viv

Hotels in Calgary are expensive, but the Westin and also Marriott (downtown) can be had on Priceline from time to time for very reasonable rates (check the betterbidding forums for more info on recent wins/bid prices).

Also, a good TA should be able to assist you with good hotel rates in Calgary - my company gets rates at the Sandman downtown for about $120/night and at the Sandman airport for less than that - larger TA's usually have contract rates which might be better than rack rates.

The new Sandman at the airport is probably the best value and has a free airport shuttle.

There is a fast motorcoach service between Edmonton and Calgary (not Greyhound - can't remember the name now - sorry!!!) but it is express, and deluxe coaches with extra leg room, beverages etc. - only 3 hours or so, and runs three or four times a day and is cheaper than flying.

The bus between Calgary and Edmonton is called the Red Arrow Express and I agree, much better than Greyhound.

I too would reconsider the rental car idea and go with Red Arrow. Service is downtown to downtown and is worry free.

Regarding hotels.........it is so dependant on cost/needs/location that I too would suggest that you contact your TA. With so much information available at a simple click of the mouse or telephone call all of your needs should be met.

Sad to see that you are spending time in Edmonton!!!!;) (We do love both cities and are always looking for opportunities to rib one another!!!) Enjoy your visit in Calgary (and Edmonton too!).

Sandy

Red Arrow is a good option. The only problem with it is that it arrives downtown and Edmonton's International Airport is south of the city and about a $30-40+ cab ride out there. (assuming you are flying out of our big airport and not our little city centre airport). Check

westjet dot com

as they can have some great deals on flights within Canada. Sometimes it is the cheapest option and then you woul land at the airport and not have to worry about getting there.

The Saddledome area in Calgary is shady. It borders on inner-city living kind of at it lowest. The LRT does have a stop near it but it is just outside of the "free" zone so it would cost a transit fare to get there which is affordable. If you stayed downtown Calgary with a free airport shuttle that would seem to be the best bet.

Edmonton is a wonderful place ;) My favorite 2 teams are the Edmonton (fill in the blank depending on the sport) and whoever plays Calgary :D There is a wee bit of a rivalry :)

Archived