landtour "dinner" clothes

NelleS

I hope I'm posting this in an appropriate forum.

DH & I are on a 6-day Celebrity land tour prior to our cruise. We were discussing what we should pack for dinner while on the land portion. My feeling is all we'll need are clean jeans. I can't imagine anyplace where we'd eat that would necessitate anything fancier than jeans.

TIA,

Ellen

I agree that you will not "need" anything fancier than jeans. If you go to a nicer restaurant in Anchorage (Simon & Seaforts, for example), you might want to wear something dressier, but will not be turned away in jeans. (I go with my more "formal" black denim.) In Denali, jeans are the norm.

Ellen, we just came back from a 6 day Celebrity land tour (#17) and I can assure you that jeans are the norm EVERYWHERE, even in the nicer restaurants. We went to Simon & Seaforts, considered a finer restaurant in Anchorage, which I highly recommend by the way, and wore jeans with a nice shirt, and many many other diners were dressed the same as us. In the hotel restaurants, or in towns like Talkeetna & Denali, jeans & tees or sweatshirts are perfect. If you have any questions about the cruisetour I'll be happy to answer - it was wonderful!!!

Ellen, we just came back from a 6 day Celebrity land tour (#17) and I can assure you that jeans are the norm EVERYWHERE, even in the nicer restaurants. We went to Simon & Seaforts, considered a finer restaurant in Anchorage, which I highly recommend by the way, and wore jeans with a nice shirt, and many many other diners were dressed the same as us. In the hotel restaurants, or in towns like Talkeetna & Denali, jeans & tees or sweatshirts are perfect. If you have any questions about the cruisetour I'll be happy to answer - it was wonderful!!!

Thanks, bjksgk! We're also doing a 6-day land tour, #15 prior to the cruise. Here's where we're staying:

Sophie Station Hotel, Fairbanks, 2 nights

Grande Denali Lodge, 1 night (poor to mediocre reviews )

Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge, 1 night

Anchorage Marriott, 1 night

The Hotel Alyeska, 1 night

We have 1 restaurant recommendation for Fairbanks, The Castle, & now we have yours for Anchorage.

I welcome any additional comments you may have. (I'll try to post my excursion list, but have to run right now:o )

Thanks again,

Ellen

Ellen, we loved the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. It was the nicest of all the hotels we stayed in during our trip. The Foraker dining room, I think its called was not cheap but was excellent. They also had late night appetizer type/burgers, etc dining. The back deck of the hotel is great and they have outdoor seating. The Anchorage Marriott was a typical Marriott, in a nice location though- easy to walk to everything we needed. We were there 2 nights, and another good place was Glacier Brewhouse. Its loud but offered less expensive menu options, as well as higher priced items. They have a web page with their menu. Everything we had was excellent their including the beer! The Hotel Alyeska is supposed to be super nice so I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

We have 1 restaurant recommendation for Fairbanks, The Castle. . .

The Castle is no longer in operation. IMO, the best (and also the most expensive) restaurant in Fairbanks is Lavelle's, which is downtown. Pike's restaurant is also popular, especially when the sun is shining on their deck. The salmon bake at Pioneer Park is good, and they have a bus shuttle.

Sophie's has its own restaurant. Other than that, there are no restaurants within walking distance (unless you really like to walk). There are two large stores nearby -- one grocery and one grocery/variety -- in case you forget something or want to get some snacks for the road.

Thank you, AAL, for the heads-up about The Castle. And thanks for the other restaurant recommendations. I doubt we'll wander too far. While we're in Fairbanks 2 nights, the first night will be at the end of a transcontinental flight from Orlando. I imagine we'll be petty beat. Celebrity has activities planned for the first full day, in Fairbanks, so we'll see about dinner. I'm assuming the 2 restaurants you mentioned would require a taxi ride?

bjksgk, thanks for your input. I had heard that the food at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge was good.

I looked at both Glacier Brewhouse's and Simon & Seafort's menus on line - WOW, they are BOTH pretty darned expensive.:eek:

For the land portion, the only excursions we have booked so far are the Nenana Wilderness Rafting in Denali, and the Glacier Jet Boat Safari in Alyeska.

Ellen

There seems to be no required dress for land or cruise.

During our land we arrived back from tours very late. Most times about 1/2 hour before closing so we just went in what we wore all day. Others did the same. Believe me they will take your money no matter how you are dressed.

In Talkeetna may I suggest the Wildflower Cafe in town. Shuttle from Lodge goes every 20 min. A little less cost and crab stuffed Halibut is wonderful. Roadhouse for bfast is an experience of old Alaska. Sourdough pancakes yummy. You eat with all the locals and mt. climbers. Great conversations.

Mrsosci

Archived