Laptop on HAL.....

sail7seas

Just to prove I'm still a computer idiot, lest anyone thought I'd become more knowledgeable while their backs were turned, :D ......

I use cable high speed at home and my laptops are set up for it.....

If I bring a laptop with me to a hotel or ship, can it be used as dial up?

No laughing permitted.

Just courteous, informed, straight faced responses, if you please. ;) :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Yes, on a Vista or Eurodam. The R&S ships do not have dial up ports. (However, all ships have wireless, which you can also use easily.) Is that all you want to know for now or do you want more details?

p.s. - I overlooked the part about hotels. Some hotels have wireless, some have Ethernet (often also called LAN) connections. I haven't seen a hotel in a long time time still had dial-up only. HAL ships do not have Ethernet/LAN ports.

Email me if you want more details??

As you might guess from my CC name I know a little about this sort of thing.

The best way to connect might depend on the age of your laptop. Do you know if it has wireless built-in?

On my last trip on the Oosterdam the wireless was solid, not fast, but solid in the stateroom and we would most likely have been on the outer edges of the coverage area since we were on the stern.

Don't see much dial-up anymore in public places.

So no LAN connections on the Zaandam even in the Internet Cafe? I have a work laptop that does not have wireless access for security reasons. I can only connect to a wired port. Does this mean I won't be able to bring my laptop with me? (hope you say yes) :D

John......

My knight in shining armor...... You always come to my rescue and I appreciate it (you). :)

The only other thing I wonder about (for this stupidity session) is.......

My new laptop has built in wifi but I'm not sure about my older ones. The one in particular is Compaq HP bought around late 2005 early 2006. It was, at the time, a decent quality...no low end. I've never tried to use it wifi in the house. For that matter I hardly use my Vaio wireless either.

Does anyone know what the fee for using wireless connections is?

Thanks,

Kim

Packages are available:

100 minutes for $55 plus one time start up charge of $3.95

250 minutes for $100 plus same start up charge.

You can also pay by the minute but it is much higher price.

Sometimes if you sign up the first day you get a few free minutes.

So no LAN connections on the Zaandam even in the Internet Cafe? I have a work laptop that does not have wireless access for security reasons. I can only connect to a wired port. Does this mean I won't be able to bring my laptop with me? (hope you say yes) :D
Oh, you can bring it ... but you won't be able to use it for anything but saving your pictures! :D Yes, no LAN connections on any HAL ships. (AFAIK).

John......

My knight in shining armor...... You always come to my rescue and I appreciate it (you). :)

The only other thing I wonder about (for this stupidity session) is.......

My new laptop has built in wifi but I'm not sure about my older ones. The one in particular is Compaq HP bought around late 2005 early 2006. It was, at the time, a decent quality...no low end. I've never tried to use it wifi in the house. For that matter I hardly use my Vaio wireless either.

Even if you don't have "built in" wireless on the older computers you should have a slot (about 2" wide) on the side or back where you can plug in a wireless adapter card. ($30 to $50 depending on brand).

...and we would most likely have been on the outer edges of the coverage area since we were on the stern.
You were probably no more than about 12>15 cabins away from a hallway antenna/transponder/access-point/whateveryouwanttocallit! :D Did you happen to notice any white truncated cones (like a large styrofoam coffee cup) nearby?

Oh, you can bring it ... but you won't be able to use it for anything but saving your pictures! :D Yes, no LAN connections on any HAL ships. (AFAIK).

Thanks! You just made my day!! I will leave my laptop at work!!!:D

Sail: I just remembered: you can rent wireless adapter cards on HAL ships. (Maybe they don't all have them available though.) For the cost for a week you can buy your own however. You might try renting one for a day, and if you like it then buy one in the next port??

Even if you don't have "built in" wireless on the older computers you should have a slot (about 2" wide) on the side or back where you can plug in a wireless adapter card. ($30 to $50 depending on brand).

I think it's wireless built in....I'll have to look for the slot.

If I need it, where would I buy the wireless adapter card? Circuit City, Best Buy type places?

Thanks, John.

Huh??? :D

I don't know what that is.... the USB device. (Warned you, I'm hopeless.)

My Vaio is 'wifi installed' but has two 1" SLOTS in the front right next to the wireless on/off button. Is that where a USB would go?

Ok no problem. On your Vaio I'm quite sure you have one or more of these. Look for a small rectangular slot about 3/4"x1/8" could be vertical but more commonly horizontal. On your older units same format just used the Viao since I'm sure it will have a USB port or two.

If you purchase a USB device, there are many, including small disk drives, external drives, an external mouse, and most printers are USB now. When you plug in the device you may need to insert the accompanying CD to load the proper drivers for it. It's usually VERY straight forward and painless and don't worry about the "Driver" talk.

Ok no problem. On your Vaio I'm quite sure you have one or more of these. Look for a small rectangular slot about 3/4"x1/8" could be vertical but more commonly horizontal. On your older units same format just used the Viao since I'm sure it will have a USB port or two.

If you purchase a USB device, there are many, including small disk drives, external drives, an external mouse, and most printers are USB now. When you plug in the device you may need to insert the accompanying CD to load the proper drivers for it. It's usually VERY straight forward and painless and don't worry about the "Driver" talk.

Thanks, Engineer. Got it. I even think I understand. :D

Two of those slots. One marked MagicGate Pro and other SD (on my Vaio). This Vaio (I'm using right now) has built in WiFi.

But the old Compaq may be USB 1.0, and you'd be hard pressed to find a USB network adapter today that's not 2.0. I tried putting a 2.0 adapter on an old Toshiba with a 1.0 port. Disaster!! :D (I guess for late 2005 the odds are that the USB is 2.0 though.)

Thanks, Engineer. Got it. I even think I understand. :D

Two of those slots. One marked MagicGate Pro and other SD (on my Vaio). This Vaio (I'm using right now) has built in WiFi.

Nope, not those. Those are memory card slots. The kind you would use let's say to directly read the memory stick from a digital camera. Do you have a printer plugged into the Viao? Unless it's older it will be USB and you can look for another slot that looks like it. And since you won't be taking the printer with you, I assume, you can use that slot when your travelling.

I'll see if I can fine a few pics of a Viao USB slot...

I'm best off bring the Vaio and not having to worry about it. I'd rather not bring the 'good one' though. :) I'd hoped to bring one of my older ones.

My Compaq is at my DH's office right now so can't look at it to see if it is factory WiFi or what slots it has. He's bringing it home tonight.

Nope, not those. Those are memory card slots. The kind you would use let's say to directly read the memory stick from a digital camera. Do you have a printer plugged into the Viao? Unless it's older it will be USB and you can look for another slot that looks like it. And since you won't be taking the printer with you, I assume, you can use that slot when your travelling.

I'll see if I can fine a few pics of a Viao USB slot...

Ahaaa.... I see what you mean. It has three such slots on the right side. This Vaio is only a few months old. Thanks for your patience. I really appreciate the help you both are providing.

Hopefully, it is benefitting other readers. :)

I'm best off bring the Vaio and not having to worry about it. I'd rather not bring the 'good one' though. :) I'd hoped to bring one of my older ones.

My Compaq is at my DH's office right now so can't look at it to see if it is factory WiFi or what slots it has. He's bringing it home tonight.

If you can't figure out what it's got, give us the model number and we can probably get the specs on it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.......

DH better remember to bring it home tonight or no lobster for him this weekend. :D

If it has a USB 2.0 port AND it is running Windows 98 or higher (2000, Me, XP) you should be able to buy a USB network adapter for $20 to $45 and be "on the air" in 10 minutes or less. :)

Edit: I just looked at prices: make that $30 to $60. Circuit City has a Linksys one for $29.99, and that's the cheapest I've found other than by buying from an on-line vendor.

Archived