Princess vs. Celebrity for kids?

Warmer Climes

Believe it or not, I am planning our 2010 cruise (next year is NCL Dawn). DD will be 12 on the 2010 cruise and really enjoys the kids' programming on the ships. We've done RCI twice and NCL three times and want to try something different and I'd like to know what the kids' programs on Celebrity and Princess are like compared to RCI and NCL. Any information would be appreciated.

Barb

We've never been on NCL or RCCL so we can't compare, but we've been on both Celebrity and Princess, including the Golden Princess this March and the Celebrity Summit this June. As a parent, I have been very pleased with both programs. I would pick my cruise based on other factors like itinerary and price. Cruisinmama06 has posted the Princess Kids Patters here http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Princess%20Patters/ and if you scroll through to the Golden Princess you'll find the Patters for the Shockwaves, which is the age group for 12 year olds.

I've asked my DD (age 11) to type in her comments here (FYI, her pet peeve is that on Celebrity they make all kids up to thru age 12 wear these "Youth Evacuation" bracelets that identify your muster station, -- but she actually loves Celebrity):

Hi! I'd have to say that the bracelets on Celebrity are really annoying, unless you know how to make them big enough to take off. Both programs allow you to sign in and out, but on Princess the activities are more optional, but also more inside the facilities, and less out and about the ship. On Celebrity, the only way to avoid certain activities is to sign out, but the evening activities are more like scavenger hunts (a LOT of fun!:) :p :D :cool: ). The trick to them is to have a small team, so you don't fight very much, but DON'T split up, you'll never find each other again, and lose. There's also foosball and karaoke. That's about all there is to say, but I'm always happy for more input!!!

Bye!!!:D

(I like smilies! :) )

--Junglejane (and DD)

We took Celebrity and were pleased with the kids' club but can't compare with Princess.

The one "problem" was not the club but the fact that they didn't have a kids' channel. This is not a deal-breaker but if you opt for Celebrity, you may want to bring a portable DVD player for them to watch in the room. They wont need it much but my kids like to dress in the morning to cartoons and they were bummed that there were no children's channels on board.

Also consider your itinerary. I was worried about the kids programs and one of the reasons we chose a southbound Alaska Cruise rather than a roundtrip Alaska cruise is because we will be in port almost every day doing land excursions as a family, instead of just hanging out on the ship. There will be programs for the kids but I think we'll all be so busy and tired from the days activities that we won't need to worry if the kids club is a perfect fit because they won't be there very often.

If you have lots of sea days, it would obviously be more important what type of programing they have for the kids.

Archived