Receipts for Customs?

Robin7

Do you all carry your receipts for your cameras/lenses/accesories with you on your trips? I read (or the DH, who used to sell sofware to accountants and went to many, many accounting seminars, heard) that you're supposed to have your receipts for large-ticket items, including cameras, when returning to the U.S. so you can prove to Customs that you bought the item before your trip.

This is not a problem for us as OCD-DH has our receipts in a ziploc in the camera bag at all times, but I'm wondering what I should tell his parents and brother (if anything) about this issue. (And who knows if they can even find their receipts!) We are going to New Zealand and Australia (with a stop in Fiji for them) if that matters.

Just wondering.

Robin

Not sure about US Customs but Canadian Customs used to issue a

card with serial numbers on it when the cameras and accessories

were shown to them prior to departure. There was space for a number

of items and it was much easier than keeping track of receipts. Check with

your nearest Customs office.

If it happened to one of 200k Cruise Critic members, we'd certainly hear about. That's a pretty good indication it's not an issue. Customs folks are pretty savvy about trade patterns. Buying equipment overseas is not usually a good idea for US residents nowadays (cost and non-USA warranties). Someday when a dollar buys a Euro again, maybe we'll need to worry. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you do not have the receipts you can go to a customs office (usually near the airport) and fill out a form with all of your equipment serial numbers. The customs agent will verify each piece of equipment and sign the form.

I have filled these forms out in the past, but in many years of traveling have never been asked for it. I bring a lot of equipment with me when I travel so I prefer to have proper documentation.

If you only take a couple small cameras or have older model cameras that are no longer sold, it should not be an issue.

Flying into Montreal two years ago, we went to customs with my camera bag and carryon bag. Set them on the floor infront of the officials desk. They scanned our passports and said have a good time. The camera bag has the brand name of the camera on the outside of it. I have yet to go overseas yet so I cannot advise on that. Years ago (mid 80's) I did the one page form at US customs in Buffalo NY with my old camera and lenses. Never was asked for anything in 5 crossings over 2 years, just birth certificate back then.

Good Luck

• 10 months later...

The only time I was ever asked about receipts was when I was getting the little card from Canada Customs showing I had the items when I left the country. I responded (rather strongly as I recall) that if they were concerned they could check with the camera store from which the items were purchased and the Canadian distributor. They stamped the card and sent me on my way.

I know with Nikon branded equipment they start with different numbers depending on the country from which they were manufactured to be sold. So it should be easy for Customs to tell if it is a 'domestic' product or not.

I found this chart for Nikon serial numbers beginning with:

2 - Japan

3 - USA

4 - Europe (excluding UK)

5 - Canada

6 - Australia / New Zealand(?)

7 - Asia (excluding Japan)

8 - UK

Bodger

Archived