Snorkeling excursions Grand cayman and ocho rios

wst825

Hi,

First time cruisers here. We would like to know if it is better to book excursions through the ship or go on line and google western carribean excursions where a lot of tour companies pop up with competitive prices. Can they be trusted? Any suggestions on previous encounters with these vendors positive or negative. Thanks in advance.:)

In my experience booking with an independent operator is far better than thru the cruise line.

Cruise ship snorkel tours ere frequently overcrowded: sometimes the decription "cattle boat" is appropriate.

Not all are awful. In some ports is far more convenient.

Grand Cayman: There are a number of good snorkel operators. I've enjoyed good experiences with Capt Marvin.

Sign up for either the full or half day trip. Both visit Coral Gardens, the Barrier Reef and Stingray City, the latter is a sand bar and feeding ground for the stingrays.

Virtually all the snorkel trips do the stingray stop.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Ocho Rios: Never been there. This might be one of the few ports where it's better to book a ship tour.

Hi,

First time cruisers here. We would like to know if it is better to book excursions through the ship or go on line and google western carribean excursions where a lot of tour companies pop up with competitive prices. Can they be trusted? Any suggestions on previous encounters with these vendors positive or negative. Thanks in advance.:)

You also have the option of shore snorkeling in GC. If you go left out of the tender docks and walk around the point, 5 minute walk, there's Eden Rock where you can rent snorkel gear and snorkel as long as you like.

Also in Ocho Rios you'll probably be disappointed with the snorkeling. The reefs have been beaten to death. Go to Dunn's River falls and climb the falls (great fun with a group or not). You can taxi to/from the falls, or take the ship's tour, about even in cost and effort.

Randall

You also have the option of shore snorkeling in GC. If you go left out of the tender docks and walk around the point, 5 minute walk, there's Eden Rock where you can rent snorkel gear and snorkel as long as you like.

Forgot to post the website for Eden Rock. It's http://www.edenrockdive.com/snorkeling.htm. BTW, did I mention that if you have your own equipment snorkeling is free? :)

Randall

Forgot to post the website for Eden Rock. It's http://www.edenrockdive.com/snorkeling.htm. BTW, did I mention that if you have your own equipment snorkeling is free? :)

Randall

I second the motion.

Eden Rock is free and the snorkeling is good!

I hadn't visited their web site in a while. Excellent new format. New dive shop onwership?

Important stuff: There are dive lockers for rent and a rinse tank on the dock.

The entry is easy via ladder.

You can spot the location from your ship - the dive sign is large and very visible.

You are getting good poop here ....

My work took me to Ocho many times. It was never a spot I'd recommend for diving/snorkeling. You can find people who will take you but there's a reason you have to hunt for them.....

There's a ton of great snorkeling on Cayman and you really don't need to pay anyone to get you to it altho if you are a novice you will probably do better with a tour.

Remember that sandy beaches don't really make for great snorkeling.

From the main tender area in Georgetown, 7 mile beach - sand - is north. "Iron shore" is south. The IronShore is there beacause the reef is coming right up to the shore - off 7 mile it is miles off shore. (closer to towntown the reef is close but the boat traffic makes it a bad choice in my opinion.)

Heading south you will find great snorkeling almost anyplace you can get in the water. Eden Rock is the first place you'll encounter and provides access to great sites. There's a shop, and lockers and everything else you'd want. That's the good news.

The bad news is that as the closest place to jump in, it can be crowded.

My two cents:

I prefer to head down the road a bit. There are similar places and dive shops and the farther you go the fewer of the cruise ship crowd you'll encounter.

I prefer Sunset House. It is a mile down the road.

SunsetHouse.com

dive shop - sea pool for easy entry - good rest' bar for the afterglow ... and far enuf from the crowd to be relaxing.

\I prefer to head down the road a bit. There are similar places and dive shops and the farther you go the fewer of the cruise ship crowd you'll encounter.

SunsetHouse.com

dive shop - sea pool for easy entry - good rest' bar for the afterglow ... and far enuf from the crowd to be relaxing.

I totally agree, if you go the extra mile, literally, Sunset house is better snorkeling (you can take a quick taxi there and they have taxis or can call you one to go back). The dive shop also has lockers for rent so no problem with leaving your "land gear" there. At either Eden Rock or Sunset House you can hire a "snorkel guide" cheaper than two snorkelers on a boat snorkel trip in case you don't feel comfortable snorkeling on your own. But there's really no current at either place and the dive center folks are friendly and can point you in the right directions.

Randall

SunsetHouse.com

Good tip. Thank you, I did not know about Sunset. I'll definitely go there next time. :)

Also in Ocho Rios you'll probably be disappointed with the snorkeling. The reefs have been beaten to death. Go to Dunn's River falls and climb the falls (great fun with a group or not). You can taxi to/from the falls, or take the ship's tour, about even in cost and effort.

Randall

Minor point really, but Eden Rock is to your right, not left, when exiting the tender docks at GC. 5 minutes at most if the sidewalk is crowded.

Archived