Dress Code Opinions-- A Matter of Age or Geographical Location?

Are opinions of dress code a function of age of the person responding?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Are opinions of dress code a function of age of the person responding?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly
    • Don't know or don't care

All else being equal, and as a very broad generalization, I think it's more a matter of generation than anything else. People who were young adults in the 1940's tend to have a very different idea about appropriateness than people who were young adults in the 1990's. I think it almost becomes a character trait that sticks with us over time: The way my generation dressed when I was young is the best way to dress.

Of course, there are many many exceptions to this, and that's JMHO :).

I agree with this. I think how you are brought up plays a large part in what is considered appropriate. My son will wear some of the craziest stuff at home, but when he is with us on a cruise, he knows that I don't consider it appropriate. Yes, he can be a bit of a rebel ;), doubtful his style will change fashion history! :p

IMO..Georgraphy and CULTURE.

I told this on another thread. On a sunny hot south florida Saturday, I went to church with my future MIL..who is Jamaican..her entire church, about 200, are folks from Jamaica. There was NOT a bare leg in the house. From the toddlers to the elderly, they all wore some sort of hose, stocking, tights..and god forbid, some with SANDALS. Then we had a picnic outside after! I shared with her these posts, particularly the ones about "no hose wish sandals, esp. in florida or the carribean). She and the others got a good laugh out of it. She said had everyone been in Jamaica, it'd be the same..everyone wearing hose..not just to church either...and that to them, "the women look so under dressed and not as nice"

I've notice the same in S.America..and Europe..people wearing hose..

Sometimes it's a matter of age..and Hollywood tends to set the standard..but then again, I think the actresses of today are hardly glamorous compared to the gals of "old hollywood"..and how beautiful they always looked in dresses, hose, heels, and the men in nice suits, slacks, sweaters, etc. I like to see people dressed neatly in a restaurant..even if it's the Outback it kinda spoils the atmosphere to me seeing a man in a pair of shorts, tshirt, and cap at the dinner table.

Choice of cruiseline depicts dress codes also. ie the statement of Alaska cruises being more casual / age etc, is NOT always so. I have been on three Alaskan cruises and on formal nights, it was formal. Semi formal was jacket and tie/ dresses or pantsuits and casual was NOT jeans, but what country club casual would be.

So the more upper scale lines might depict the different level of formality too.

Choice of cruiseline depicts dress codes also. ie the statement of Alaska cruises being more casual / age etc, is NOT always so. I have been on three Alaskan cruises and on formal nights, it was formal. Semi formal was jacket and tie/ dresses or pantsuits and casual was NOT jeans, but what country club casual would be.

So the more upper scale lines might depict the different level of formality too.

When you get the time please read the reviews of the Alaska cruises just for this year. I think you will realize that the majority of passenges did not follow the (what some call formal attire) dress code.

IMHO I think there is some truth to this, when reading the Alaska boards it appears the average age is 50-70?

I was on an Alaskan cruise this past September and the average age was not 50-70 (think younger). And I was on a line that more cruisers tend to put in the older category (Celebrity). Formal was pretty much formal. The only night I saw people in jeans was the night we were in port until 10pm and the dining room was open seating. Keep in mind that Cruise Critic cruisers only make up 2% or less of those on board of each ship typically. You're reading reviews of those who chose to post one (I've not ever posted one out of four cruises), and that's a small percentage of those who post here as well.

All the Alaskan cruises I've been on, were certainly not in that age group.

Many more 35-50 yr olds.Actually the younger cruisers tended to dress more formal party-ish then the older crowd, who dressed formal.

I'm sure Jennifer luvs2cruise will find out on her first Alaskan adventure.

Interesting topic. What made the light bulb come on for me was when I started seeing folks on job interviews in extremely casual clothing. I was pretty shocked until I realized that person can go through the entire education system without ever having to dress up more than shorts and a Tshirt. That's what is acceptable currently. So there is a group of folks out there who may never have had anyone try to get them to follow any kind of dress code. They won't already own the items or see the need to buy them.

Of course, this isn't everyone but it does start to explain why the trend is toward more casual.

Interesting topic. What made the light bulb come on for me was when I started seeing folks on job interviews in extremely casual clothing. I was pretty shocked until I realized that person can go through the entire education system without ever having to dress up more than shorts and a Tshirt. That's what is acceptable currently. So there is a group of folks out there who may never have had anyone try to get them to follow any kind of dress code. They won't already own the items or see the need to buy them.

Of course, this isn't everyone but it does start to explain why the trend is toward more casual.

This is why I'm a big advocate of teaching my own child and other children that there is a time and place for just about everything. He has never once challenged us on what he was told to wear for specific things. He's 7 and picks out what he wears to school and such (unless it's picture day - I get to choose in order to bring out those huge baby-blues).

Also been on two Alaskan cruises and formal night was formal night across the board, young and old!

Really? How long ago did you sail to AK? The reason I'm asking is because I have read EVERY :eek: review and the majority that did mention dress code was that formal night the majority of men were in suits and women were in dress pants and pant suits.

^ Will do, point me to the cruise lines you sail.

I for one am getting tired of lugging all the stuff to Europe, and would love to travel lighter.

Well I hate to be the one to tell you but from what I've read the European cruises formal night is that and most dress more formally on European cruises. SORRY!;)

All the Alaskan cruises I've been on, were certainly not in that age group.

Many more 35-50 yr olds.Actually the younger cruisers tended to dress more formal party-ish then the older crowd, who dressed formal.

I'm sure Jennifer luvs2cruise will find out on her first Alaskan adventure.

Yes I guess I'll see...Actually I've never really ever paid to much attention of what others wore or even thought about it until I started posting here. Never really wanted to waste my time doing so because there's so many other things to be concerned about. I have to chuckle when I read on here and see how upset or angry someone gets because someone didn't formally or that someone wore jeans.. I don't know for a fact what dress code or what age group is on the AK cruises, I'm just repeating what I've read in the reviews.

I also realize that CC only makes up a small percentage of passengers on the cruises but they never say just CC members they say ALL, most, or the majority of passengers.

5 years ago with Celebrity and attended two formal nights..To me a man in a suit or tuxedo with a tie is dressed for formal night!Of course some women may have been wearing cocktail pants suits but most were dressed in cocktail dresses or gowns. Just telling you as I saw it!

Really? That's really hard to believe that a child could go all the way through school and never have to dress in a suit or dress. High school students in our area if they are in sports the boys have to dress in a shirt and tie the day of the game and he girls have to wear drsses if they are in sports of any kind. I now my children have been in several weddings where the men,boys are dressed in tuxs and the girls are mostly in formals. They certainly don't like it but thats just the way things are. I don't thnk I would get upset with them if they were grown and they showed up in something other than formal clothing on formal night though. They are adults and can make their own choices and I guess thats how I feel about others I know and don't know.

5 years ago with Celebrity and attended two formal nights..To me a man in a suit or tuxedo with a tie is dressed for formal night!Of course some women may have been wearing cocktail pants suits but most were dressed in cocktail dresses or gowns. Just telling you as I saw it!

Well that's probably right five years ago which I've haven't read reviews that old just the reviews wrote in 2007 and 2008. Cruises that I've taken more than 4 years ago people did follow the dress codes but the last 3-4 years the dress code has become a lot more relaxed. From what everyone has been writing, and the amount of people on here that go crazy when someone speaks up to say blah with the formal dress code I think there is a lot of truth in what I'm saying.

Guess I'm a rigid person, I think if the cruiseline depicts a dress code, then it's the responsiblity for the cruiser to abide by it.

Casual is just so wrong in certain places, and certainly very wrong in people who either can't coordinate the casual look or their body shapes should be left in something other.

I also hate seeing middle age or old men in jeans. For some reason it just doesn't suit them anymore. But that's only MHO. They look to 'parkish".On the other hand if they are hiking all over a glacier, guess jeans are appropriate. So yes geographical location depicts dress.

This reminds me of a post a long time ago on this board..a divorced mom with not a lot of money posted that every Friday or Sat. night she MADE her children dress in dress up clothes, set the table beautifully, and they had dinner....even if it was leftovers..her rationale was that her children needed to learn proper etiquette and how to dress appropritely and even on a shoestring budget she was going to teach them..said even though they are adults now they still talk about it and their married spouses appreciate it.

A mother like that deserves the mother of the year award IMO!

Really? That's really hard to believe that a child could go all the way through school and never have to dress in a suit or dress. High school students in our area if they are in sports the boys have to dress in a shirt and tie the day of the game and he girls have to wear drsses if they are in sports of any kind. I now my children have been in several weddings where the men,boys are dressed in tuxs and the girls are mostly in formals. They certainly don't like it but thats just the way things are. I don't thnk I would get upset with them if they were grown and they showed up in something other than formal clothing on formal night though. They are adults and can make their own choices and I guess thats how I feel about others I know and don't know.

This reminds me of a post a long time ago on this board..a divorced mom with not a lot of money posted that every Friday or Sat. night she MADE her children dress in dress up clothes, set the table beautifully, and they had dinner....even if it was leftovers..her rationale was that her children needed to learn proper etiquette and how to dress appropritely and even on a shoestring budget she was going to teach them..said even though they are adults now they still talk about it and their married spouses appreciate it.

A mother like that deserves the mother of the year award IMO![/quote

I agree i think a few lessons in etiquette and protocol serve our children well as they find themselves in these situations later in life.

Well that's probably right five years ago which I've haven't read reviews that old just the reviews wrote in 2007 and 2008. Cruises that I've taken more than 4 years ago people did follow the dress codes but the last 3-4 years the dress code has become a lot more relaxed. From what everyone has been writing, and the amount of people on here that go crazy when someone speaks up to say blah with the formal dress code I think there is a lot of truth in what I'm saying.

We're not talking light years...reread some of the posts.

A mother like that deserves the mother of the year award IMO!

I agree, against some pretty hard odds, she continued to do the right thing by her kids!

I hate when people get too complacent with etiquette. It will never fail you, but your lack of it or incorrect judgement may very well.

Yes, it's true..those simple lessons can go miles...I had some Brazilian friends for dinner one night and the one guy who was his 50's actually stood up at the dinner table when I approached it and elbowed the guy next to him who had already begun to eat..manners make the person..I shudder to think about what the next generation is going to be like.

That story I mentioned about the mom stands out in my mind because she knew here children had to learn somewhere,and if she didn't teach them I doubt they would learn it anywhere else.

A mother like that deserves the mother of the year award IMO![/quote

I agree i think a few lessons in etiquette and protocol serve our children well as they find themselves in these situations later in life.

I agree with trying to teach our children but being to rigid is not for us and I know from watching some of those types of parents. Within time most children will completely go against what they expect if they push it to far.

I'm sorry but I find your posts a bit confusing. What do you base this statement on and what is the LOL about 5 years ago??

Archived