vest or belt

oceanblue33

The vest is worn around your chest and keeps the upper part of your body floating thereby allowing your feet/legs to be lower in the water. This results in a good body orientation in the water.

The belt will keep the midsection of your body floating and especially keep your feet/legs higher in the water. You want your face near the surface and your feet/legs under water so that you can get the most propulsion from the kicks.

A snorkel vest is what you want if you are snorkeling. I keep mine totally deflated. I float quite well in salt water. If I get a little tired or want to just hang in one plce... I put a few puffs of air into the vest and I am comfortable face up or down just hanging there.

I would not wear a waist belt. If you really need the assistance of a flotation device while snorkeling, it won't be of much help to keep your head up and out of the water.

Archived