Transfer suggestions???

Hi all!

We will be arriving in London from Barcelona from a 7 nighter on the Gem. We will be landing at Gatwick at 2PM on BA in the North terminal, going to Southwark for the night, and then flying out of Heathrow the next day. Any suggestions for the most economical way for 2 adults and 4 teens???

I will also need the name of a good pub near the hotel as well after a 9 day trip with 4 teenagers!!!:D

We will be arriving in London from Barcelona from a 7 nighter on the Gem. We will be landing at Gatwick at 2PM on BA in the North terminal, going to Southwark for the night, and then flying out of Heathrow the next day. Any suggestions for the most economical way for 2 adults and 4 teens?
Assuming you can crack the whip and get the teenagers to pull their weight (and lift it when necessary), what I'd suggest is this. Get the train (operated by First Capital Connect) from Gatwick Airport to London Bridge. This runs once every 15 minutes and should take about half an hour. Usually its final destination is Bedford. When you get to London Bridge, go to the taxi rank - down a long ramp from the platform, then turn left and go through the gates and out of the doors in front of you. Get taxis to the hotel - you will need two between you - which should cost you around £5 per taxi.

You don't say which hotel, but I'm assuming that by Southwark you mean one of the Novotel, the Southwark Rose, the Holiday Inn Express, the Mercure or the new Travelodge. If not, post again.

I will also need the name of a good pub near the hotel as well after a 9 day trip with 4 teenagers!
One idea if the weather is good: walk to the river and go to the Globe Theatre. Just downstream (east) of that is a riverside pub called the Anchor. It's a bit touristy and a bit of a destination - and it can get very busy. But it might be good on a nice day. If you carry on in the same direction, under the railway lines, you will find another riverside pub next to the replica of the Golden Hind.

Globaliser-

Thanks so much for the great help! I knew if anyone would know, you would. Yes, we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express, got an industry rate too good to pass up, especially when I needed 2 rooms.

A riverside pub sounds perfect! I will especially need a couple of pints by the time I get there! Question- Is the Lord Mayors celebration that day? Fireworks and all over the Thames? I know I am going to miss Guy Falkes (sic) day (darn!) but I am hoping my info is correct.

We will be doing the goofy double decker bus tour so that the kids can see all they can before we have to leave, so a walk to a pub sounds really nice for a late dinner. :cool:

Question- Is the Lord Mayors celebration that day? Fireworks and all over the Thames? I know I am going to miss Guy Falkes (sic) day (darn!) but I am hoping my info is correct.
Er, I don't know - which day are you arriving? ;)

The Lord Mayor's Show is on the second Saturday in November - so it will be on 8 November 2008. Full details are available here: http://www.lordmayorsshow.org/ and information about the fireworks is here: http://www.lordmayorsshow.org/visitors/fireworks

The viewing areas do get pretty busy, so it is worth going early to get a spot. But this is usually one of the better fireworks displays in London, so if this is the day that you're here, don't miss it.

One downside is that many riverside establishments may be busier than usual, just because of the number of people in town for this. However, if yo are here at this time of the year, there's little benefit in a riverside pub for dinner. It'll be completely dark by the time the fireworks start.

Archived