New to Cruising - Port Stops Sth Pac

Hi, new to cruising, but v excited. I'm going with my Mum on the Pac Sun on 13 Sept cruise for 7 nights. Our port stops are Noumea, Lifou and Vila. If anyone has any suggestions for our stops would be much appreciated. Mum (60) and I (30) are both very fit and active and love any kind of bushwalking or exercise. I'm reluctant to do all the general tours offered at each stop, although we might do one or two. Does anyone know if any mopeds are for hire at any of the islands?

I've found this site so helpful, lots of great advice and reviews. Pac Sun seems mixed reviews but honestly Mum and I are very easy going and not at all fussy, we're going for the experience and the fun. Dad isn't the cruise type so it's a great opportunity for Mum and I to do something together. Mum's flying from Perth and I'm coming from Melb to Brisvegas, so the warm weather for both of us will be a welcome change (I think a polar bear just walked past my window and I should be able to ice skate on Port Phillip Bay any day now).

Also our assigned cabin is M8 (bunk) with porthole (bunk but great price). I've been asked if we'd be interested in a free upgrade if it were offered to an inside twin. What do others think? The difference to weigh up would be bunk v not having a porthole on an inside (larger) twin.

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tanya

Hi Tanya

Firstly welcome to the boards. I'm sure that you will find a wealth of information from all the members that have been to these ports. When are you going?. You may want to put a countdown clock on your signature, you will find this at the top of the main thread page, go ahead and try it out, its a bit more exciting for you to see how many more days to go!

As for Vila the Mele cascades are a good DIY option a good walk up the cascades and swimming in the waterholes is great, $20AU entry fee, and catch a taxi or local bus at a negotiatable price, and of cause go to the Fung Kuie duty free shop is a must do there as well.

Noumea; when you get off the ship at the terminal you can arrange a Little Green/Red Train trip that stops off at 2 lookouts, a beach and in town on the way back for $20AU each. This gives you a good overview of the area with an English speaking guide, and then get off a the last stop in town and spend a good couple of hours wandering around. On our last trip there we saw a few people walking towards the beach areas, if you are fit its not that far, or catch a local bus for 200 Francs.

I have not been to Lifou so someone else will help for this one, or search the threads ( at the top of thread page) for other info.

As for an upgrade, there is always a chance that you may get a window cabin as well (we did on our last cruise). I would take the chance, if you don't get a window, just go on more cruises until you do:D , after all you will only be sleeping in there.

I think a polar bear just walked past my window this morning as well!

Hi

Lifou has good snorkelling and there is also a nice church on top of the hill. We didn't do any tours but just wandered around. It's a good island for walking at your own pace.

Don't worry about negative reviews of the Pacific Sun. We have just been on her and had a ball.

Hi Tanya,

Upgrade- I would accept an upgrade from a Tgrade to an inside twin. You will have a lot more room, and having two beds on floor level would be much more convenient than a double-decker. The cabins are very spacious with beds in a twin configuration. Another disadvantage of the T grade is that they are very close to the front of the ship and subject to movement in heavy seas.

Noumea - You will arrive at 3pm or later. Often the ship does not get in until 4pm or so. I suggest buying the sightseeing bus tour for A$15. The train is great for kids, but why pay extra money? These tours are on sale in the terminal on the wharf. Get off the ship as quickly as you can so you can buy tickets for an early tour. Whether it is the train or the bus they will stop at Coconut Square at the end of the tour and ask if you want to get off. Leave the bus there, it is only a few hundred metres back to the ship and it gives you an opportunity to have a look at the shops etc.

Lifou - After leaving the ship walk through the few thatched roof huts near the jetty and walk to the left to the church. Swimming and snorkelling area is off this road. If you walk to the right you reach a village. It is not too far.

Vila - I recommend Mele Cascades. Get a taxi. Maybe share with another couple. It should cost A$30 approx to the Cascades for the taxi full - not per person. Hone up your bargaining skills. Take your swimmers and wear waterproof footwear. Reef shoes are the best. There is a dressing room near the entry station. Entry is A$20 pp and well worth it. Duty free shopping at Fung Kuei in town. This is the last shop on the left in the main street. There is a market behind the shops on the harbour side of the street. There is also a market on the wharf. Leave this until last. Taxi from the ship to town is A$15 or take the shuttle bus for A$3 each. Aussie dollars are accepted everywhere in Vila.

Have a great trip.:):)

Hi Tanya

My husband and I did this cruise in May and stayed in M8.

I loved this cabin- got a great price for it as well!!

The porthole is better than no window at all, and the only noise we heard was the waves breaking(which I love)

We found there was plenty of room for 2 peop;le

Others have mentioned before the anchor is very noisy and startling if you are in the cabin when it is used, but we didnt experience this noise as we were always up on deck at that time

I would definately book this cabin again if the price was right!!!!:)

Hi Tanya,

My wife and I along with others have done the Pacific Sun twice in the past two years.

The food options are plentiful as is the entertainment. Staff are great.

My four 20yo plus children taught me one thing, get involved in everything!

The second cruise was with the kids and you seriously don't want to be shy. Get in there and enjoy the friendships that you will create.

Dance classes and adult game shows were especially a hoot;)

Remember that you have not paid excessively for your fare,then enjoy it.

Vila has a scooter hire place in the main st, just entering town before the markets, $50 for 4 hrs (per Bike)incl insurances, get a map and go for it .:D

You will need Vatu currency to fill the bikes with fuel.

Others have mentioned the best duty free being at the end of the main road on the left before exiting the precinct northbound.

The cascades and golfing are excellent, the horse riding was poor value.

Noumea - best and cheaper to do your own thing - excellent historical museum (200 francs) near the main park, centre of town, get your own tour guide and vehicle outside the terminal and just tell them to show you the highlights. Around the marina and town on foot is a wonderful way to feel the ambience and get some fantastic food.Brush up on your french a little never goes astray. My pidgeon french from high school wasn't too bad after all these years. Don't even know where it came from:confused:

The land based tours that P&O charge for, are over the top. Some are good, but I prefer to use my money wisely.

Hope something in here helps.

Trust you will have a whale of a time.

Grant

:) NEVER cruise without a window:p

Archived