Amazing Race in Cozumel

Since this is a Carnival only excursion, I thought I would post here instead of the Cozumel port of call board.

Has anyone recently done this Amazing Race (or Race Fantastique, or whatever they are calling it) in Cozumel? I am on the brink of reserving this, but wanted to check with the CC experts before sending money. Any information is greatly appreciated.

My family of 6 did this last summer. Although we had fun, there was a bit of confusion on one of the clues that led us past a couple of stops we should have made....we didn't realize till we were done (or at least, thought we were). With that aside, we still found it a bit expensive and would not do it again.

Since it's been a year, they might have fixed the "glitch" that got us 2 stops ahead of where we should have been. It was fun, just overpriced (as cruiseship excursions always are!) and disappointing due to the glitch. Ours might have been a unique experience so please don't base your decision on my review.

Suzski,

I had this EXACT question about this Amazing Race thing. can you share a few more details? Were you trekking all over the city doing cheesy stuff solving clues, or, were the stops substantial, scenic, uniquely Cozumel, etc. My kids have never even seen Mexico at all, and this is their one day to see a chip of it. While the game seems fun, I wonder if they would more enjoy an hostorical, or a water activity. Is it on a different 'level' than games they would be invited to play on board the ship?

Thanks!

The way it worked for us was that we were all driven to a starting point and the rules were explained to us. We also had to come up with a name for our team (we were the "Cucarachas" - which translates to cockroaches we learned!:eek: ). Then we were given our first clue to decipher, which involved running through the streets of Cozumel to another clue....which took us to a historical place where we had to search for clues (and learn a few things about the area along the way). Ultimately, we ended up at several places (including a putt putt golf place, a snorkle expedition, a market, a (temporary) tattoo place, etc.). There is quite a bit of walking/running and the locals have come to expect the "Crazy Americans" frantically racing through the streets.

I'm not sure what age your kids are, but there is quite a bit of getting around (my 10 year old was pretty tired out and was ready to be done before we were) and you're usually in too much of a hurry to actually take time to "savor the moment" and enjoy the bits of historical information that come your way (especially if you're in it to win it:) ). From the standpoint of family bonding, however, it is a cool thing.

Are you able to choose your own team? That is, can a family be a team of their own? Considering doing this on our trip in August.

Absolutely! You determine the both the size and makeup of your team.

Archived