Backpacks? big or small?

kirby1200

I suggest the larger. We used ours daily. It helped with the layer thing and rain gear. Also able to put in water, camera, and any trinkets you may buy. We took turns hauling it around. Really glad we had it.

Mrsosci

What type of backpack did you bring on your cruise tour? I have a choice between a large nylon, or a small waterproof one. Any comments on this from a seasoned cruisetourer?

If by "large" you mean the type used in mountain backpacking, that should not be a problem on the tour part of your cruisetour. If you are doing any of the flying excursions there might be a weight and/or size restriction. There used to be but I have not seen this mentioned recently on these boards.

I've never cruised but my bag of choice is a sling style bag from REI called the Mini sling bag. I'm new to this forum and don't know if I am allowed to post a link, so I won't but you can search for it. I use this for day trips, I do travel light but carry a change of clothes for my toddler, snacks, tippy cups, camera, handi wipes, disposable ponchos, tiny first aid kit, sunscreen, etc. There would still be room for a small rainjacket or two, hat, mittens.

I prepack my day pack before I leave home, weight it, go through it a few times to make sure I have whatever I might need without carrying too much weight. I love to be prepared but also don't want to spend my vacation feeling like a pack mule. When you take bag bigger than you need, you wind op overstuffing and getting that pack mule feeling!

It takes a little while to get used to carrying a sling style bag. I love mine but I did carry it around for quite awile before taking it on its first trip.

Archived