Ushuaia - Tour Help????

BCHappyGal

Yes!

We took a taxi and took the cable car.

We had a beautiful day with great visibility. It was windy...

You have to walk a bit to get to the glaciar.;)

We were very happy we went there.

Hope this helps!

NCP

• 2 weeks later...

NCP - We're leaving for Ushuaia in a few days and I'm wondering if you can be a little more specific about the walk from the chairlift to the glacier? "A bit" can mean different things to unathletic me vs. my marathon running DH. About how far is it, and is it a difficult walk (dirt path, paved, rocky etc.). Thanks for your help!

Hi Shmabbies!

At the base of the chair lift there are some hotels and a great tea room - great for recovering afterwards. At the top of the chairlift there is a mountain hut that serves teas coffee hot chocloate and snacks ( a good place to wait if you can't make the walk)

The walk itself starts out uphill but not incredibly steep - you are climbing up a mountain. There are great views from the start if you turn to look back at the town. It is worth wearing proper walking boots rather than trainers because at times you need to walk in or near the meltwater that is running off the glacier. It gets steeper the higher you go. We didn't make it all the way because we were being picked up from the hotel on our last day and got worried about being in time.

Despite my comments about footwear - there were some argentinian ladies doing the walk in summer sandals, with heels!

In conclusion - you could probably get a long way up without being very fit, and there is somewhere nice to wait if a fitter companion wants to go furhter.

Archived