Bringing Oxygen on Princess

bjboothman

My husband was recently prescribed oxygen. I booked a cruise directly with Princess several months ago (thus I have no TA).

I believe our local oxygen supplier will provide us with a portable oxygen concentrator with batteries (we are driving to the port).

1) Do I have to inform Princess that we are bringing the POC onboard and what additional documentation will they need (i.e. do they need a form certifying my husband is healthy enough to travel, etc.?) Who do I call at Princess to take care of this?

2) In your experience, will the POC be sufficient for the cruise or do we need to make arrangements to get/bring/rent individual oxygen canisters as well. I would assume there are suppliers near the port of FLL that we could make arrangements with, but honestly, I'd prefer to just bring the POC.

3) If the POC should break down during the cruise, is there any option for getting O2 canisters in the Carribbean ports? It seems I've seen some cruise suppliers that do operate both in FLL and in various ports. It seems unlikely that it would break down, and my husband has been managing without O2, but I'm just wondering what our back up plan should be.

Have not sailed on Princess, but on HAL I just talked with their customer service office ( I think it was called special services). Most everyone will tell you to have a back up system but I have traveled on two cruises with no back up and no problems ( I have an Inogen). Have a great cruise.

We sailed on Royal Caribbean. We spoke to their special services department and found that we could bring on our own oxygen (we were driving to the port as well) and that they wanted us to fax her oxygen prescription.

She also has an Inogen, but we did not feel comfortable not having oxygen tubes, so we put 8 tubes into a suitcase and just wheeled it on board. You can always get help to do this.

So I would call the special services at Princess and see what they need from you. It should be no problem. When we boarded, RCL never even asked to see the documentation we had with us.

Archived