Golf Shore Excursion in St. Johns

We are in the stages of setting up for a June '09 curise to St. John's and Halifax on the Carnival Triumph. They have a golf outing listed for St. John's and I am interested, but I have concerns. One is that it is listed for 5 hours. That is good if the course and other golfers play at normal speed, but anyone who golfs regularly like me knows what it is like to get stuck behind a slow foursome. If this happens, will we still get back to the ship on time?

A couple other questions, and this can be for anyone who has golfed on a ship-sponsered outing. One, are you paired with others on the ship, so that you don't have to try to find locals to fill out a foursome? Two, do you have to bring your clubs or are there rentals? Of course, it is better to play with your own, but for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I am there to soak up the course, not worry whether I can beat Tiger Woods that day!

We are in the stages of setting up for a June '09 curise to St. John's and Halifax on the Carnival Triumph. They have a golf outing listed for St. John's and I am interested, but I have concerns. One is that it is listed for 5 hours. That is good if the course and other golfers play at normal speed, but anyone who golfs regularly like me knows what it is like to get stuck behind a slow foursome. If this happens, will we still get back to the ship on time?

A couple other questions, and this can be for anyone who has golfed on a ship-sponsered outing. One, are you paired with others on the ship, so that you don't have to try to find locals to fill out a foursome? Two, do you have to bring your clubs or are there rentals? Of course, it is better to play with your own, but for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I am there to soak up the course, not worry whether I can beat Tiger Woods that day!

Are you going to St. Johns, Newfoundland and Labrador - or Saint John, New Brunswick ...

If you are going to the Riverside Country Club, just outside Saint John, I can tell you, as a member, that the club is very strictly marshalled to four hours. It is about twenty minutes from the port, hence the five hour excursion time frame. It is a private club but it is sometimes arranged for groups of cruise ship passengers to play. There are clubs available for rent and you would not be paired with members.

If you know the name of the course you would be playing, I can provide you with a phone number. There are only two other possibles in the area---Rockwood Park, which is a municipal course and Westfield (private)--about a thirty minute drive. Anything else would be outside your time frame

My reply pertains to Saint John, new Brunswick, --if you are going to St John's Nfld, that would be different. Visitiors often confuse the two names.

Thank you for the replies. I apologize for not being specific - it is located in St. John's, New Brunswick. The course for the excursion is the Rockwood Golf and Country Club. If clubs can be rented, that really helps. I wouldn't want my bag taking up too much space in the stateroom!

Thank you for the replies. I apologize for not being specific - it is located in St. John's, New Brunswick. The course for the excursion is the Rockwood Golf and Country Club. If clubs can be rented, that really helps. I wouldn't want my bag taking up too much space in the stateroom!

OK---You will be in Saint John---not St. John's---a very important distinction as the two cities are 800 miles apart. Rockwood Park is a very nice course about a mile from my house. It is a public municipal course which also has members. I will give you the phone number so you can phone them and ask any questions you may have. It is 506-634-0090. I have not played it but my husband has several times, and he says it is in good condition. It certainly looks nice from the road. It would be about a 15 minute drive from the port. My guess, where it is public, is that the four hour rule would not be so strict, but you could ask when you call. (My husband just said you can expect it to be about four and a half hours.) I will look it up on google maps and if the area shows clearly I will come back and tell you where to look. Not all of Saint John is showing clearly on google.

OK---You will be in Saint John---not St. John's---a very important distinction as the two cities are 800 miles apart. Rockwood Park is a very nice course about a mile from my house. It is a public municipal course which also has members. I will give you the phone number so you can phone them and ask any questions you may have. It is 506-634-0090. I have not played it but my husband has several times, and he says it is in good condition. It certainly looks nice from the road. It would be about a 15 minute drive from the port. My guess, where it is public, is that the four hour rule would not be so strict, but you could ask when you call. (My husband just said you can expect it to be about four and a half hours.) I will look it up on google maps and if the area shows clearly I will come back and tell you where to look. Not all of Saint John is showing clearly on google.

Re the location of Rockwood Park Golf Course on Google Maps. University Avenue shows as one of the first streets that show up as you focus in on the city. If you follow it out to where it intersects and ends at the Sandy Point Road, you will see the golf course directly across the Sandy Point Road. If University Ave continued , it would run across the course. Unfortunately, although you have a clear view, it is a winter view and it is all covered with snow.

Archived