Car rental in Alaska

mnbruce

On the few cruises we have been on I have rented cars in a number of ports because I do not like to do organized tours. I like to tour at my own pace. Anyone done this in Juneau or Sitka?

We've rented three times in Juneau. It works out great because you can go places tours don't go and see things at your own pace. Rent-a-wreck will pick you up at the dock and drive you to their office.

In Sitka we've always walked so I'm not sure about car rentals there.

We have been in Juneau 2 times and both times rented a Van with Rent a Wreck. They will pick up at Dock and you return car to Central Parking lot by 8pm. 1st time drove the whole 50 miles of road with many stops. This last time we drove as far as Eagle Beach and then back into town with stops at Mendenhal, the fish hatchery, lunch at the Hanger and then just driving around the town.

In Sitka there is only one car rental and so we did not do it - took a taxi downtown and then walked around, then taxi out to Raptor Center. Afterward back to town for lunch and short tour around the area.

Taxi was about $10 for 6 of us (van). I think there is only about 17 miles of roads in Sitka.

Hope this helps,

Francine

Thanks Jerry,any suggestions on places to go?

Here are a few suggestions--probably too many for one visit.

Amalga Harbor--north of Juneau is a picturesque harbor with a small boat launch. Adjacent to the harbor is Ernest Gruening State Historical Park which has a nice hiking trail.

Shrine of Saint Therese--A retreat center with a stone chapel built in the early 1900's. The ocean views are tremendous.

Auk Lake--on the university campus. There is a nice view of Mendenhall Glacier from there.

Auk Bay--This is the harbor where most of the whale watching trips start. It's a beautiful harbor.

Mendenhall Glacier

Fish Hatchery

Douglas Island

Alaska Brewery

Glacier Gardens

Have a great trip!

Archived