Paradise Cafe, Eden Rock snorkeling..

flatman

I keep reading about this Paradise Cafe Eden Rock snorkeling just a 2 minute walk from the pier.. Is this place something I would have to book in advance, or can we just go there on our own and rent the equipment, and eat at the restaurant? Carnival offers an excursion just like this and it's required to have a wristband to come and go to the facility, and that's why I post this question...Can someone please clear up my confusion?

Thanks for replying..We're ( DW and I ) not sure if that's what we will do while were there in April or not..The Eagle Ray Divers snorkel trip sounds like fun too..I read on here that some of the locals and dive shops offer snokeling tour, some two reefs, and some three, and they seem to have many that charge $50 pp, but checking with Rosi's snokeling tour, she says nobody will offer a $50 dollar price for there snokeling tour...Not sure yet, but Paradise cafe, Eden Rock sounds pretty good for us...

Thanks again

Jim & Dianna

Eden Rock is actually sep from Paradise- we found Paradise to be better with loungers on a small sand beach, no beach or place to sit at Eden Rock. (One in our group asked and there is no charge to sit in loungers - but others told me they paid $5 one time). Equipment rental at each. Food and drinks only at Paradise - not cheap. Snorkeling is good here. It really is a short walk from the pier - past stores.

or continue walking down to Sunset House. Stop at the dive shop, rent some gear and a locker and ask the folks what's to see. Head down to the easy entry point and get wet. Then come out, rinse at the shower right their on the landing and walk 20 feet over to 'My Bar'

Sunsethouse.com

no reservations required. rental gear prices on their page

Now we're getting somewhere! So far you've got us walking off the pier, just about 200 yards to Paradise cafe, then stopping for some good snorkeling according to Terryde, and then a little further down the beach or whatever, we stop at Sunset House where we get a locker, wet once again, shower, and down to ' my bar ' according to you Capt. BJ...Keep this stuff comin..Where do you suggest we eat? I'm thinking Sunset House is a pretty swank resort hotel, and Paradise cafe is just that, a cafe...But expensive as Terryde says..This is fun..It's only our second cruise so we're pretty green at this stuff...We're Walmart type of people, but on vacation we can do a good expensive ( sort of ) meal...One thing I really do need to know is " does My Bar make a good Margarita? " After three or four or twelve of those things I won't really care what lunch costs...lol..

Sunset swank? Uh....no.

"dedicated dive resort" .... and My Bar has been a very popular place with the locals for over 20 years.

It's where the taxi drivers go to play Dominos after their shift....and sometimes during their shift :rolleyes:

Sunset House is a dive shop with a great added attraction in ' my bar.' Now it sounds even better...I sure do appreciate all of this info your providing to me..Now I have to figure out how to get thru this next 270 days without going nuts....Can't wait! BTW is this dive resort also into snokeling, and is this site a good place for that? We are novices at that, and my wife wants to be able to touch bottom at first until she feels confident to go deeper..:D to be honest ' me too.'

Sunset House is a dive shop with a great added attraction in ' my bar.' Now it sounds even better...I sure do appreciate all of this info your providing to me..Now I have to figure out how to get thru this next 270 days without going nuts....Can't wait! BTW is this dive resort also into snokeling, and is this site a good place for that? We are novices at that, and my wife wants to be able to touch bottom at first until she feels confident to go deeper..:D to be honest ' me too.'

Did you check out the web site? Sunsethouse.com

one advantage Sunset has is their 'sea pool' http://sunsethouse.com/seapool.php

they dug a pool area into the shore line. so a beginner can start in this almost enclosed shallow area, and once comfortable head out over the reef. a BIG advantage over most other sites. but be aware, the water over the reef will be 20 feet to 40 or more depending on how far out you go....rent a vest for safety.

snorkel friendly - absolutely....many divers will do a little snorkeling in the afternoon saving their bottom time for a night dive.

lot's of info and pictures on the web site....

Capt. BJ, that is an awesome site, and after seeing that and reading the guests reviews I feel like trying to actually try scuba diving...I'm almost 60 and still I think I would love to try it..But for this trip I think snorkeling is going to be the thing we do..Like I said we are new to this, and we have only been once at Grand Turk in the Bahamas, but we are hooked and can't wait to try it again..That Mike and his crew sound like people I would love to get to know...The pool is incredible..Love the stairs..What a great idea!! I think you have definitely sold us on Sunset House for this trip...Thank you very very much for your help Capt. BJ. With all of your experience with cruises, and your years in the military, I'm sure you've got good advice for people like us, and I'm glad to be able to talk with you so far, and hope to talk even more with you..Again thanks!!

Jim & Dianna

Can someone tell me if there's any kind of a sandy beach for the kiddies to play on, while we adults take turns snorkeling? Also how far out is the reef/wreck snorkeling from the shore? How many people can this bach handle? I have probably 10 or 12 in my immediate party. Thanks.

Can someone tell me if there's any kind of a sandy beach for the kiddies to play on, while we adults take turns snorkeling? Also how far out is the reef/wreck snorkeling from the shore? How many people can this bach handle? I have probably 10 or 12 in my immediate party. Thanks.

Neither Sunset, or Eden Rock is a beach area.

You may want to look into Sea Grape (try a search)

7 mile beach is a great beach for your party...but the reef is over a mile off shore there. you can snorkle if you like ... and you may see a little...but mostly sand. Nice sand tho....

Capt BJ - How far of a walk from the cruise ship pier is Sunset House? My husband is not a fan of walking but will walk a little ways for a chair and some cold refreshment.

1 mile south of town... http://sunsethouse.com/location_sunset.php

lots of places closer for a beer ... but if you want the experience....it is a quick taxi ride.

Archived