Sea (Eli) or land (Lawrence)?

Orcrone

DW and I are debating whether to go with Eli's Eco tour or Lawrence of Antigua. We were leaning towards Eli, however, in another thread I saw comments that we shouldn't miss Shirley's Heights, English Harbour and Nelson's dockyard. So now I'm thinking that we should try Lawrence.

I've only heard great things on this board about both, so my decision is not which is a better tour, but whether we will be missing quite a bit if we go with the Eco tour. We have five stops on this cruise, so I figure we'll have plenty of time to snorkel and swim.

You are correct, you can swim and snorkel almost anywhere in the Caribbean. But, there is only one Eli, and only one Eco Tour. We have done excursions all over , and Eli's is one of the top 2 we have done.

We will be with Eli for our 4th time at Thanksgiving cruise time.:)

I know Eli is an all day tour. How reliable is he for getting you back to the ship on time? We had a bad experience with Coral Breeze in Belize and made the last tender with only 15 minutes to spare! Way too close for my comfort!! Now I'm a bit gun shy!

I know Eli is an all day tour. How reliable is he for getting you back to the ship on time? We had a bad experience with Coral Breeze in Belize and made the last tender with only 15 minutes to spare! Way too close for my comfort!! Now I'm a bit gun shy!

Eli knows the ship schedules and as far as I know has never missed getting anyone back on time. It's only a 5 minute walk from the ship to where he picks up and drops off. On one of our tours with him some folks wanted to get a little shopping in so he brought us back a little earlier than he normally would. Do the tour, it's the best ! :D

ernie

Hi Orcrone! Believe it or not, during our Barbados excursion I met a couple that lives a couple of miles from me. Go figure!! I need to contact them - they wanted some copies of my pics, guess I'll try and remember to do that this week. Nice to "see" ya!

Have fun on that cruise you're getting ready for!! :)

Hi Orcrone! Believe it or not, during our Barbados excursion I met a couple that lives a couple of miles from me. Go figure!! I need to contact them - they wanted some copies of my pics, guess I'll try and remember to do that this week. Nice to "see" ya!

Have fun on that cruise you're getting ready for!! :)

Amazing. Travel over 1000 miles to meet people from your neighborhood. We live in Great Bridge, off of Mt. Pleasant.

On our spring cruise last year we dined with a family from Buffalo, NY. My daughter went on a chorus trip to Florida with her high school (Hickory High) and ran into that family at Sea World.

We live in Great Bridge, off of Mt. Pleasant.

Umm....you're kidding!! Where on Mt. Pleasant? I am in Tunbridge Station!!!

:D What a small world!

NO WAY!!! The small world got a lot smaller!

I'm also in Tunbridge Station. Baywater Court in the back of the subdivision. Right where the railroad tracks turn to the right before going over the intracoastal.

NO WAY!!! The small world got a lot smaller!

I'm also in Tunbridge Station. Baywater Court in the back of the subdivision. Right where the railroad tracks turn to the right before going over the intracoastal.

HOLY SMOKES!!!! How wild is that?? Shoot - I run right by your court almost every night ( I should be out running now!!). We are on the corner of Northwood and Downing - the WEST one. You probably drive by my house every day - unless you go by way of Marble Arch. How cool is this?!?!?!? :p

WOW!! Are you on Downing or Northwood? I know there's one house that has an in-law apartment. Is that you? We're the white house in the middle of the cul-de-sac. Now I'll be looking at everyone who runs by.:D

WOW!! Are you on Downing or Northwood? I know there's one house that has an in-law apartment. Is that you? We're the white house in the middle of the cul-de-sac. Now I'll be looking at everyone who runs by.:D

We are on Northwood - I think the house directly across the street (has a stone front) from us has an in-law appt. From what I have heard, it is a much larger house than it looks. We are the white ranch on the corner. I did run last night - and looked for your house - one has lights on the front porch - is that you? I usually run in the evening during the week, and in the mornings on the weekend - if I see anyone out - I'll wave!! :D

You must be close to packing - where are you cruising to?

We are on Northwood - I think the house directly across the street (has a stone front) from us has an in-law appt. From what I have heard, it is a much larger house than it looks. We are the white ranch on the corner. I did run last night - and looked for your house - one has lights on the front porch - is that you? I usually run in the evening during the week, and in the mornings on the weekend - if I see anyone out - I'll wave!! :D

You must be close to packing - where are you cruising to?

There's only 3 houses on the cul-de-sac. Going right to left a one story ranch, our two story white house and a tan brick-front home. As to the lights on the front porch - who knows. Just depends on whether someone remembered to turn them off.:D

The house with the in-law apartment was for sale when we bought our house 5 years ago, so we gave it a look. My realtor aptly described it as a 2000 square foot house with extra rooms. If I remember correctly it has four bedrooms and five baths in the main house, along with two bedrooms and a bath in the in-law suite. However, didn't like it at all. I think the builder acted as his own architect, and didn't do a very good job.

We also almost looked at the blue house on Downing Drive, just about right across the street from you. But someone had signed a contract right before we were about to look.

I haven't started packing, but I've been trying to get everything together, trying on clothes, making sure we have all our paperwork, etc. I'll probably start packing Thursday. We're leaving on Saturday right out of Norfolk, so it's an easy 25 minute drive to the pier. My mom's flying in from Florida Friday. She's going to stay with our daughters while we're away. From here we go to Half Moon Cay (Holland America's private island), St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Maarten and San Juan. Plus we have four sea days.

I'll be looking for you running by. If you go running on Saturday morning, you'll recognize me as the one trying to put 12 suitcases in a car.:D

There's only 3 houses on the cul-de-sac. Going right to left a one story ranch, our two story white house and a tan brick-front home. As to the lights on the front porch - who knows. Just depends on whether someone remembered to turn them off.:D

The house with the in-law apartment was for sale when we bought our house 5 years ago, so we gave it a look. My realtor aptly described it as a 2000 square foot house with extra rooms. If I remember correctly it has four bedrooms and five baths in the main house, along with two bedrooms and a bath in the in-law suite. However, didn't like it at all. I think the builder acted as his own architect, and didn't do a very good job.

We also almost looked at the blue house on Downing Drive, just about right across the street from you. But someone had signed a contract right before we were about to look.

I haven't started packing, but I've been trying to get everything together, trying on clothes, making sure we have all our paperwork, etc. I'll probably start packing Thursday. We're leaving on Saturday right out of Norfolk, so it's an easy 25 minute drive to the pier. My mom's flying in from Florida Friday. She's going to stay with our daughters while we're away. From here we go to Half Moon Cay (Holland America's private island), St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Maarten and San Juan. Plus we have four sea days.

I'll be looking for you running by. If you go running on Saturday morning, you'll recognize me as the one trying to put 12 suitcases in a car.:D

Ha ha!! Wow - a kidless vacation...it's been so long since I had one of those I don't think i'd know how to act. You'll have a great time - we were at St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Maarten and San Juan in August and just loved it.

The people that bought the blue house are nice. The people that bought the house across the street are....I don't know...different I guess. I rarely see them, so hardly ever talk to them. Other than them, I love my neighbors - they are the best you could have. Even the new folks in that fancy new house (I'm sure you know the one!) seem nice - though I don't see them a whole lot, but we do talk occasionally. I really love this neighborhood - a good place to grow up I think.

Hmmm...you will miss Halloween - I wonder if they will have a costume party on the ship??

When I told my wife about your last post she immediately knew which house. She said the one with all the crepe myrtles on the side. We've redone all the landscaping ourselves, so we always identify the houses by the landscaping. Yes, I definitely know the new one you're talking about. The one with the large palm trees in the back yard (see what I mean). We went through the house as it was being built (don't tell anyone). Everything they've done has been top of the line. Definitely adds to the neighborhood.

From what I hear, not much happens as far as halloween on the ship. In fact, it's our first sea day, so I expect it to be a formal evening. Me in a suit is a halloween outfit.

When I told my wife about your last post she immediately knew which house. She said the one with all the crepe myrtles on the side. We've redone all the landscaping ourselves, so we always identify the houses by the landscaping. Yes, I definitely know the new one you're talking about. The one with the large palm trees in the back yard (see what I mean). We went through the house as it was being built (don't tell anyone). Everything they've done has been top of the line. Definitely adds to the neighborhood.

From what I hear, not much happens as far as halloween on the ship. In fact, it's our first sea day, so I expect it to be a formal evening. Me in a suit is a halloween outfit.

Yep - the crape myrtles are mine. They say to do your landscaping around a five year plan for a new house. I tried to do that, but I'm working on year six, so I guess I lost track somewhere. :p Aren't those palm trees something? None of us were very happy when that lot went up for sale - that was our baseball/soccer/football field. All the kids were pretty bummed. But, gotta say the house is very nice (I went through it too - twice! :D ).

If you go on Eli's tour - you will have a wonderful day - he really knows the island, and is also very entertaining. He tells a good tale. ;) My son bonded immediately with "Eppie" - one of his crew - and stuck to him like glue whenever we got off the boat. The snorkeling was wonderful, and Hell's Gate is one of the coolest places I've ever been. We can't wait to go back.

Yep - the crape myrtles are mine. They say to do your landscaping around a five year plan for a new house. I tried to do that, but I'm working on year six, so I guess I lost track somewhere. :p Aren't those palm trees something? None of us were very happy when that lot went up for sale - that was our baseball/soccer/football field. All the kids were pretty bummed. But, gotta say the house is very nice (I went through it too - twice! :D ).

If you go on Eli's tour - you will have a wonderful day - he really knows the island, and is also very entertaining. He tells a good tale. ;) My son bonded immediately with "Eppie" - one of his crew - and stuck to him like glue whenever we got off the boat. The snorkeling was wonderful, and Hell's Gate is one of the coolest places I've ever been. We can't wait to go back.

Did you go with Eli on your AOS cruise? If I'm not mistaken that's one of the huge Voyager class ships, with the rock climbing wall and skating rink. Love to do one of those ships sometime.

Did you go with Eli on your AOS cruise? If I'm not mistaken that's one of the huge Voyager class ships, with the rock climbing wall and skating rink. Love to do one of those ships sometime.

Yep - we did. I've never had any desire to cruise, but my son fell hook line and sinker for those RCCL commercials :rolleyes: , and that was his first choice. (I try to do a "big" vacation every other year, and we were already overdue a year!) When I found the perfect itinerary (only one sea day and 6 islands!), I made the decision to give it a try. I loved it, and so did he. The ship was grand, but I tell ya, I never saw a single show - there was just not enough time. Never did the rock wall or the rollerblading either. But - it was nice to have that stuff available - next time we might take advantage of it. :D Loved loved loved the whole dining room experience - our staff and our table companions were the best you could ever hope for.

• 2 months later...

Just curious, but is there anyone out there that has done both tours (Eli's and Lawrence's) that could comment? They both sound wonderful, but I'm leaning toward the land based because I have water based tours on all of the other islands.

Archived