Geiranger,Belfast, Bergen,Reyjavik Questions

We're on the Grand, August 6th.

A few questions:

In Geiranger is it walking distance from the port to the Westeras trail which I believe leads to Storseterposser Falls? How much time is this hike round trip?

In Belfast- how long after the ship docks can we disembark?

Same questions for Belfast?

Bergen - How long is the hike from the upper station of the tram to the lake at the top?

Thanks for your input if you have some experience.

I can answer one of those...

In Geiranger is it walking distance from the port to the Westeras trail which I believe leads to Storseterposser Falls?

If you're up for a hike, it's walking distance up to the farm. But remember that it's uphill the whole way.

There is a trail up to Westerås farm that departs from just behind the Hotel Union. The walk up to the hotel is about 10 minutes if you use the shortcut pedestrian path below the church (instead of following the road the entire way). The trail map lists the trail to Westerås as 2km long with a steady climb. It's not steep, and keeping up a pretty good pace, I think it took us about 45 minutes to reach Westerås from the harbor. I would plan for closer to an hour.

The hike from Westerås up to Storseterfossen (I believe that's what you mean - the waterfall that you can walk behind?) takes roughly another 45-60 minutes from Westerås (Look for a sign pointing out the direction, and you can buy/borrow a hiking stick from the farm if you'd like). Of course, coming back down is much faster!

The following trail maps for Geiranger are extremely useful. The first map is very detailed and easy to follow:

http://www.visitgeirangerfjord.com/uploads/Documents/Kart-brosjyrer/Geiranger%20Info%20Hikes.pdf

But the second has estimated one-way, uphill hiking times, which we found especially useful with limited time in port:

http://www.geiranger.no/map_of_walks_with_descriptions.html

This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Thanks.

I can answer one of those...

If you're up for a hike, it's walking distance up to the farm. But remember that it's uphill the whole way.

There is a trail up to Westerås farm that departs from just behind the Hotel Union. The walk up to the hotel is about 10 minutes if you use the shortcut pedestrian path below the church (instead of following the road the entire way). The trail map lists the trail to Westerås as 2km long with a steady climb. It's not steep, and keeping up a pretty good pace, I think it took us about 45 minutes to reach Westerås from the harbor. I would plan for closer to an hour.

The hike from Westerås up to Storseterfossen (I believe that's what you mean - the waterfall that you can walk behind?) takes roughly another 45-60 minutes from Westerås (Look for a sign pointing out the direction, and you can buy/borrow a hiking stick from the farm if you'd like). Of course, coming back down is much faster!

The following trail maps for Geiranger are extremely useful. The first map is very detailed and easy to follow:

http://www.visitgeirangerfjord.com/uploads/Documents/Kart-brosjyrer/Geiranger%20Info%20Hikes.pdf

But the second has estimated one-way, uphill hiking times, which we found especially useful with limited time in port:

http://www.geiranger.no/map_of_walks_with_descriptions.html

Archived