transportation to mendenhall glacier

duffyrn

i've read of mgt tours that will take you to the glacier. their first one leaves at 0900. does anyone know of a way to get there earlier. we are meeting harvandmarv there at 1045. that would give us only an hour or so there. we would not have time to go to mendenhall after the whale watching tour, as our ship departs at 1600. thanks for any info.

beth

There are several shuttle bus companies located where the ship docks--I was on a shuttle at 8 and there was only 1 other person on it. I just got off the ship and asked at the different booths who was going soon.

Hope this helps

thank you for the info. we'd rather go earlier and be able to stay at mendenhall a while longer. i guess we'll just look when we get off the ship instead of making a reservation with mgt that doesn't go till 9am.

again, thanks

beth

thank you for the info. we'd rather go earlier and be able to stay at mendenhall a while longer. i guess we'll just look when we get off the ship instead of making a reservation with mgt that doesn't go till 9am.

again, thanks

beth

How much do most of these shuttles cost? Do they also go to Glacier Gardens?

The cost to the glacier and back is $14 this year, but they don't go to the Gardens - that requires a tour or taxi.

Thanks! Would I want to get the taxi from Mendenhall or come back to the ship and go from there? I thought the lady at the Gardens told me that we could take a city bus from the pier as well. I REALLY appreciate your help.

Thanks! Would I want to get the taxi from Mendenhall or come back to the ship and go from there? I thought the lady at the Gardens told me that we could take a city bus from the pier as well. I REALLY appreciate your help.

I've never looked at the city bus routes in detail, so I'd go by the info from Glacier Gardens. Taxis don't hang around at the glacier, so it's unlikely that you'd be able to take one from there (and the city bus doesn't run to the glacier).

The bus schedule is at http://www.juneau.lib.ak.us/capitaltransit/pdfs/busschedule5.pdf but Glacier Gardens isn't mentioned.

Hi,

Public bus #3--Mendenhall Valley-- goes past Glacier Gardens and goes within a mile of the glacier. Many people go this way and walk approximately 1 mile into glacier. It is a long ride but $1.50. Public bus also goes to Alaska Brewery. The bus drivers are very helpful and there is a visitor info center on dock where you can ask all questions.

Hi,

Public bus #3--Mendenhall Valley-- goes past Glacier Gardens and goes within a mile of the glacier. Many people go this way and walk approximately 1 mile into glacier. It is a long ride but $1.50. Public bus also goes to Alaska Brewery. The bus drivers are very helpful and there is a visitor info center on dock where you can ask all questions.

Does it stop at the Gardens?

Important question. Till what time Mendenhall glacier is open? and when is the last bus back to the pier? Our cruise will be in a port from 2 pm to 10pm. We are taking Helicopter ride from 4 to 6. Can I go to the Mendenhall after 6pm? because I am sure before 4 will be too hectic consering docking time.

Racerkelli--The public bus does stop at the Gardens. Take the bus from town(Mendenhall Valley) to the Gardens(bus stops right in front of the gardens). The gardens are beautiful and worth the trip. Tour the Gardens and go back to the bus stop and you can continue to the Glacier. The bus stop is about a mile from the Glacier. It is an easy, flat, and paved walk. We also saw a mother black bear and baby pass across the road in front of us walking back to the bus stop. If you are concerned about the walk, you could pay $6 dollars and take the shuttle directly back instead of the city bus. It would save you a mile walk. We found the city bus drivers very helpful. Without taking an actual paid tour, this is the best way to see the Gardens and the Glacier. Note: Gardens tour is alittle slower paced and more detailed if you do it on your own vs. if you do the cruise package.

Hi, We flagged down a taxi to get to Mendenhall - the cost was $33 flat. The taxi driver was great - she pointed out different sights along the way, every Eagle sitting on a street light or in the field. The taxi for us was the best option as our boat was docked furthest away from town and taking a bus to get to the blue bus stop was not a good option for my mom who cannot walk great lenghts. The mile from bus stop would have been to far.

Hi, We flagged down a taxi to get to Mendenhall - the cost was $33 flat. The taxi driver was great - she pointed out different sights along the way, every Eagle sitting on a street light or in the field. The taxi for us was the best option as our boat was docked furthest away from town and taking a bus to get to the blue bus stop was not a good option for my mom who cannot walk great lenghts. The mile from bus stop would have been to far.

Did the taxi wait while you viewed the glacier or did you have to catch another one back?

Also has anyone used Juneau Tours? http://www.juneautours.org/index.html is where they pick-up at the base of the tram the long walking distance mentioned by daksmom?

... taking a bus to get to the blue bus stop was not a good option for my mom who cannot walk great lenghts. The mile from bus stop would have been to far.

The blue bus and other shuttles take you right to the Visitor Center - it's the city bus that only goes to a stop a mile away.

The driver did not wait for us, as i didnt know how long we wanted to look around. She gave me her card, and i called her about 15 minutes prior to wanting to be picked up and she came back for us.

Archived