Looking for input...

I'm not generally undecisive, but with this I am. I'm a single Mom cruising with my son and can't decide on a dining option. I want the early seating without a doubt, but regular dining or the anytime dining, table for two or join a table. I'm not hugely social, but I don't want to feel isolated either. My son will take off with Ocean Adventure while we cruise, so there will be a lot of solo time for me. Looking for input and experiences. Thanks!!

If I were a single mom cruising with a young child, I would opt for traditional dining at early seating, to accommodate your son. You can request a large table, either through your travel agent, or through Royal Caribbean if you booked directly with them, and hopefully you will find this to be an excellent opportunity to meet up with other adults. If you opt for Anytime Dining, you might find yourself a little more isolated than you'd like to be....JMHO, of course. In any case, I hope you and your son have a wonderful cruise vacation.

Karen

I THINK that if you do the anytime dining you have the option of requesting a table by yourselves or a table with others when you arrive at the dining room - can someone with experience confirm this for the OP? If that is the case, you would have the option of sitting with other or not, depending on your mood.

Karen's got a good point above there. Go ahead and accomodate your son, but break out of the shell and go for a large table. Especially if there's a chance that you will be at the table by yourself at any time.

Now, Karen's gonna call me a liar (sailed with her and David last fall), but I tend to want to hide if I'm on my own. That's a huge mistake on a cruise. If you have the good fortune to be at a table with a good group, you may well find that you have made friends to hang out with for the rest of the cruise. Might even make some friends that last well beyond the cruise and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Just my .02. Have a great time, no matter what your choice is.

I'm a single mom who just completed the third cruise with DS, now 10yo, he was 8 for the furst cruise. We always do early seating at a large table and have had some wonderful tablemates - usually other kids, even other single parents on one cruise.

We eat at 6, he heads off to AO by about 7:30 and I have the rest of the evening. AO offers a "Late Night Party Zone" from 10pm to 1am for a small fee. DS begs to stay late with his friends at least a couple nights during the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks everyone for your input. I always say it's important to go outside one's comfort zone every now and then. I think I will go with the community dining. I wasn't aware of the Party Zone option. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm a shy person by nature, too, but I admit that I enjoy meeting new folks at dinner and discussing ports, plans, etc. If it turns out to be too much, you can always dine in the Windjammer some nights. But give it a try! Hope you have a blast!

Archived