Why are there Stars of David on Fort St. Louis?

Tabbymom

Interesting,

I can only think that maybe what we equate with the Jewish religion this day and age wasn't actually the case in the middle ages. The Star of David was important in Messianic Christianity way back when. King Louis XVI prayed to the Lord God and Jesus when he and his family were under house arrest before he was beheaded (His last Testament). He definitely could've used that shield of David! Maybe we have some history buffs that can help us out here, I'm interested in knowing! ~Travelbugs

Bernard is an independent operator who gets tons of positive writeups here so we booked him online and had a great time - here's our report on the day:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=812424

If you look down the subject lines in this board you'll see him mentioned a LOT.

And this is his web site:

http://www.bernardstours.com/

I'll be anxious to hear his response. My husband and I don't recall ever seeing them (probably not paying attention but maybe they're a recent addition), been there 6 times. Now I'm going to have to go and dig for some old pictures! ~Travelbugs

Haven't heard back yet but from Gary's picture it looks like they're strung with lights and that they fold out horizontally from the wall of the fort. Curiouser and curiouser. I'll have to follow up in a few days.

I just got Bernard's reply where he informed me that the Stars of David are ....................Jewish stars! :rolleyes: So no better informed unfortunately. I did quite a lot of online research and cannot find any record of Jewish settlers on St. Martin (unlike so many other Caribbean islands) and in terms of current activities, can only find that "services are held on major Jewish holidays". So my assumption is that the stars on the fort have nothing to do with Judaism.

(I did write back and ask him why there were Jewish stars on the fort but don't have high hopes of an explanation.)

Okay, so we know Bernard isn't particularly interested in helping us solve this mystery. Were you by chance visiting over a Jewish holiday (where maybe they used the Fort walls as a backdrop) then never taken down (like the neighbor with the Christmas lights)? Hmmmmm.....

Travelbugs - the only possible holiday would have been Rosh Chodesh on July 4 and considering the lack of Jewish population on the island I seriously doubt they celebrate the beginning of each month by decorating the fort! :D I get the impression from my research that even for major holidays they just try to find 10 people and meet somewhere.

I think maybe they are just plain stars and someone found it easier to construct six sides instead of five - stronger structure or maybe they had lots of triangles to use LOL.

I'm thinking they're left over Christmas decorations, that just coincidentally are Mogen Davids. There used to be a synagogue on the island, Fodor's (I think) says it's a guavaberry shop now, but I haven't been able to find any evidence verifying that.

Wow - never thought of searching "guavaberry" and "synagogue" together but sure enough lots of sites seem to be quoting from the store's own website:

The old cedar townhouse on Frontstreet is a local landmark & legend. Built on the site of an ancient synagogue (abandoned in 1781), it was once the Governor's home. Now it is the Guavaberry Company's World Headquarters.

Then finally on page 8 of my search I find this on a forum http://eduplanet.net/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1236 which linked it a few years ago from a defunct JUF article - the author writes for Fodors and she's from my area!

ST. MAARTEN

Rodney's 1781 raid on Statia spurred the Jewish settlement on the neighboring island of St. Maarten. It never really thrived. A synagogue erected on Archerstaat (Back Street) became a pile of rubble within 40 years. The Guavaberry Emporium is thought to be the site of an old synagogue and off Front Street there is a small alley-like street known as Jews Cemetery Way. The walkway leads past the synagogue and cemetery complex.

Tourism has brought a resurgence of the St. Maarten Jewish community. There is no synagogue, but one is planned. About 20 Jewish families reside on the island as well as a Torah which is kept under lock and key.

So I guess it's not totally out of the question that someone in 1800 or thereabouts decided to put Magen David's on the fort!

I think they are Christmas decorations. As far as I know, there is no history

of Jewish settlers on the french side. There was indeed the ruins of an old Jewish synagogue on Front Street where the Guavaberry Shop now is.

There is a great deal of history of Jewish settlers in our neighboring sister island of St. Eustatius, which early on was a large trading center for the west indies with many Jewish merchants.

also in Curacao another sister island to the South there was and is a large population of Jewish merchants.

I think the Jewish star Christmas lights on the French side are a coincidence, but I'll try to find out for sure..

Barbara

I asked a french friend of mine

They are indeed Christmas decorations.

he says it symbolizes the star who guided the three kings to Jesus. It is the same as the Star of David, symbol of the Jewish religion...

It is traditionally used in France.

I received this today from the French-Side Tourism Office:

Hello Sir,

In response to your question of 1st August, there is a very simple answer. Basically you are correct in your observation that the star on the Fort Saint-Louis resembles the 6-point star that is more commonly known as the Star of David.

The reason for this star appearing on the walls of the fort are simple. A few years ago the caretaker of the Fort decided to decorate the Fort for the Christmas celebrations, and put the stars up as part of the décor. Seeing that the stars added something particular and seemed to increase interest in the historical structure, he decided to leave the stars on the walls. Also the fact that he felt that the stars added beauty to the Fort helped in his decision to keep them there.

That is the reason why, during your visit to our Island, you found the stars on the wall, and decided to inquire on your observation.

I guess his plan worked

Sincerely,

L’Office du Tourisme de Saint-Martin

Wow - never thought of searching "guavaberry" and "synagogue" together but sure enough lots of sites seem to be quoting from the store's own website:

Then finally on page 8 of my search I find this on a forum http://eduplanet.net/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1236 which linked it a few years ago from a defunct JUF article - the author writes for Fodors and she's from my area!

So I guess it's not totally out of the question that someone in 1800 or thereabouts decided to put Magen David's on the fort!

Great research! Thanks!!

Thanks Gary - maybe they'll light one a night for 8 nights for Chanukah! :) Turn the fort into a giant menorah.

Great idea ;) . Thanks for getting the info, Gary. We climbed up to Fort St. Louis a few years ago (the stars weren't on it at the time), and thought it was very interesting. We watched a fast moving storm come through the valley, and it hit us in just a few minutes - got soaking wet, but had a great time.

Archived