Recent QM 2 TA Family Reports?

Cortesefam

With summer well along, we are very interested in any accounts/perspectives from family trans-atlantic experiences this year. We sail on the August 13, 2008 crossing, and would welcome reports regarding kids/teens programs, favorite activities and "not to be missed" events on board.

In particular, has the outdoor pool been available during recent crossings?

Thanks

Hi, can't give advice about a TA in August as the two we have done have both been in October, but have no worries about your children. Both our children love being on board and can't wait until we sail with her again.

Our eldest (Rachael) was 14 the first time we travelled and so was in the top age group (14-17). They all met up in the Pavillion bar after dinner on the first night and we hardly ever saw her again. There was an organised schedule for them for most of the day, but in the evenings they would play table tennis, go to the theatre, have coffee in Kings Court etc. They were chaperoned most of the time and there was no trouble at any time - unlike some horror stories I have heard from other cruise lines. Their group leader was Shanny in October 2007 and I think she is still on board.

Richard was 10 and therefore much to his sisters relief was in the middle tier. He spent a little more time with us and his favourite time was the 11.45am quiz in The Golden Lion, followed by a few games of darts.

IN the evenings we tried to get them to have dinner with us first before they went off to meet their friends and they ususally escaped straight after dessert. All the children would adhere to the dress code and it was love;y to see them walking around in their long dresses and suits.

Rachael is still in touch with people we met on both crossings.

They also enrolled on the art course which was great fun. There was an additional charge, but is wasn't much and they produced some goos work. They could work on them at any time of the day - not just during the class times.

Rachael and I also did the RADA classes, for a bit of mum and daughter bonding and we have the certificates to prove it!

There will be a schedule in your cabin when you embark which will give the daily activities for each age group and you need to register them in the playzone after the muster call.

Pleasse let me know if you have any queries and I will do my best to answer them.

Highly Sociable: We read your reply with great interest and appreciation, as your "ages" hit close to our's for the crossing next month. We were not aware of the art course opportunity--we'll check that out on board.

Tonight was "test fit" packing night--both for our luggage proceeding us to the ship and our bags for the 11 days before we hit the QM 2. We're in good shape for the formal nights--our daughter went formal but not "long" on the dresses.

One question--did you try the covered pool on Deck 12? Recognizing the wind factor might deter open deck swimming, it seems like a good venue for the kids to get some exercise and burn off a little energy during the day.

Also, do you recall if they offer "soda cards" on board for kids, to get beverages from the bars/dining rooms?

Thanks again for your great response and insight!

In particular, has the outdoor pool been available during recent crossings?

Hi Cortesefam,

Just got off the ship this morning and am waiting in the airport lounge for my flight home (it was a most excellent crossing). The outdoor pools were open throughout (though admittedly I didn't check on the one rainy day). We had two solidly sunny days that saw plenty of pool activity, much less so on the cloudy days.

See you onboard in a couple of weeks!

ccqueenanne

interesting to hear that you took part in the RADA classes, can you tell me the sort of things you did, was there a lot of getting up and down off the floor, i have a bad knee so i cannot get up and down on my knees, let me know, thanks A million, fizz

Although we did not have any of our kids with us, I can say from talking to some parents in the SPA that I was told their kids were off somewhere doing something. Although we did encounter a group of pre-teens doing football on the top deck under the supervision of a Cunard staff member, yes they said they had *lost* a ball or two.

Quite late one night we met two teens in the elevator, riding between floors after apparently been toss from their rooms by their parents, they were having fun.

I think you'll find there is degree of organized events, but the kids always are able to figure out something else with the other kids onboard.

The pool on deck 12 is where the Pavillion bar is and where the teens tend to hang out at night, becuase that's where the table tennis is.

Pool not massive, but OK. We did also use the outside pools (yes it was cold in October!).

Soda passes work out at around $7 a day. Go to any bar when you get on board and they will osrt it out for you. It's basically a sticker on your onboard identity pass.

The RADA classes run for just over an hour on three alternate days. I can't recall any getting up and down, but there was plently of walking about - getting into character.

Hope you all have a good time!:)

The pool on deck 12 is where the Pavillion bar is and where the teens tend to hang out at night, becuase that's where the table tennis is.

Pool not massive, but OK. We did also use the outside pools (yes it was cold in October!).

Soda passes work out at around $7 a day. Go to any bar when you get on board and they will osrt it out for you. It's basically a sticker on your onboard identity pass.

The RADA classes run for just over an hour on three alternate days. I can't recall any getting up and down, but there was plently of walking about - getting into character.

Hope you all have a good time!:)

thanks for your reply

Archived