Smoking banned inside Ventura, Oceana, Artemis

London

I am surprised that they haven't already imposed a smoking ban on balconies. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it a cigarette on a balcony that caused that big fire on the Star (?) Princess a couple of years ago.

The findings of the investigation were that the cause of the initial ignition was probably a cigarette, almost certainly thrown from somewhere above. However, the reason that the fire burned so well was the nature of the furnishings and fittings on the balconies: very flammable, and a producer of thick smoke and fumes. The MAIB issued an advance notice advising cruise lines to change balcony fittings & furnishings, and this has been done by all companies. So even if a fire started, it would burn much less fiercely and with much less smoke, than was the case on Star Princess.

Here's a link to the MAIB page with the Star Princess report: it's fascinating stuff.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2006/star_princess.cfm

My letter came today about the new policy and l really was pleased.:D

I am sailing on ventura N818a, and although not a smoker, DH enjoys the odd cigar, but would not smoke in an enclosed room as cigars smell that much stronger anyway, it does not really concern me so much, apart from what Sue said as we have a balcony cabin on C deck (which is overlooked) I am concerned about people in balcony cabins around us. I do welcome the idea that we will be able to use the exchange freely without the smoke. As long as there is somewhere on an open deck not over looking people where smokers can go in peace, and if you do smoke on your balcony your do so in consideration of others, I think that the total ban inside will be a good thing, since P&O seem to be incable of suppling proper air extraction it seem the only proper solution.

My point is why have we not been notified, I have just paid the balance of my holiday and since the ban starts the cruise before ours, we would have had the chance to cancel without losing out, how come some people have been told far in advance but others who are sailing soon have not? If I had not been an avid reader to this and other boards I would still be unaware of this ban, not good news if you are a smoker.

Another P&O slip up?

Nancy

I am surprised that they haven't already imposed a smoking ban on balconies. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it a cigarette on a balcony that caused that big fire on the Star (?) Princess a couple of years ago.

Going back to this, it looks as if the draft regulations that dealt with increased fire safety on balconies have this formulation:

"Ships built before 1 July 2008 must comply with [these regs] on their first inspection after 1 July 2008".

So it looks as if the cruise lines had about 2 years to upgrade the balcony furnishings & fittings, and that period has just ended.

Here is announcement:

Changes to P&O Cruises smoking policy

For all of us at P&O Cruises the safety, comfort and enjoyment of our

passengers has always been a prime concern. With this in mind, and as

a direct result of the feedback we have received from a great many of

our passengers, we have taken the decision to amend our policy with

regard to smoking on board Ventura, Oceana and Artemis. The following

policy will, therefore, now apply to each of these ships:

Ventura, Oceana and Artemis:

A complete smoking ban will be enforced in all cabins and inside

public spaces. Smoking will, however, still be permitted on cabin

balconies and on certain areas of the open deck. This new policy will

take effect from the following cruise numbers:

Ventura - N817 (10 October 2008)

Oceana - E825 (31 October 2008)

Artemis - P818 (13 December 2008)

Received my letter from P&O regarding change in smoking policy. I'm sailing in Mid November. The letter says will commence 30th October on Artemis.

I'm a good girl I smoke on deck anyway :)

OOPS, sorry P&O just received my letter, better late than never, I see they will do refunds or transfers but a bit late for us now so I still stick to my point that if smoking had been a factor for us we would have had a worrying few days, I do agree with the policy but think they should have allowed longer in implement it say from next year?

But it does go to show on the other hand that they do listen (sometimes?) to their passengers as on Ventura in particular there have been many many complaints as to the exchange bar. So in that respect well done.

Nancy

Received my letter from P&O regarding change in smoking policy. I'm sailing in Mid November. The letter says will commence 30th October on Artemis.

I'm a good girl I smoke on deck anyway :)

.My letter also states 30th October for Artemis.Me thinks that they need to update their press release

Archived