Hi everyone.

We will be in Athens for a full day in October. Will hire a private guide and get our own transportation to/from port.

What would be the top spots (obvious or not) you would do?

Chesie

We toured Athens on our own. Based on our reading and research before we went we decided we wanted to have ample time at the Acropolis and then time to stop at the Temple of the Four Winds plus meander around the Plaka and just enjoy being there. Review of our trip and photos in the links below.

Our time at the Acropolis was so well spent; so much history and the views of the city are amazing. We took some of our notes with us so we could identify the various structures etc.

Went shopping near the Plaka and bought a lovely copper pepper grinder to serve as a daily reminder of the great day we had in Athens.

Kathy:)

Nancy, we really loved our cruise so much so that we are going back next year on the Brilliance of the Seas from Barcelona. We will be re-visiting Rome and Naples but new to us will be Venice, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Florence and Cannes. Doing lots of reading!:D

Seeing the Pyramids was a life-long dream for us. Have a wonderful time!

We will be in Athens for a full day in October.

Well, the Acropolis goes without saying. The Archeology Museum, which is across town, is also amazing.

Another thing that it sounds like you should have time for, is the changing of the guard at the Parliament building. I've seen changings-of-the-guard all over the world, and NOBODY does it like the Greeks. It's the most complicated, intricate ceremony you'll ever see, and their uniforms are fabulous--a terrific photo-op!

Nancy, we really loved our cruise so much so that we are going back next year on the Brilliance of the Seas from Barcelona. We will be re-visiting Rome and Naples but new to us will be Venice, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Florence and Cannes. Doing lots of reading!:D

Seeing the Pyramids was a life-long dream for us. Have a wonderful time!

Kathy,

Thank you! You are going to just love Venice and Florence. I have been to Italy several times and just can't get enough!

Do you recall in Athens, are there taxis at the pier for us to cab in? How about coming back? Are there "taxi stands" somewhere? Major hotel?

Nancy

Well, the Acropolis goes without saying. The Archeology Museum, which is across town, is also amazing.

Another thing that it sounds like you should have time for, is the changing of the guard at the Parliament building. I've seen changings-of-the-guard all over the world, and NOBODY does it like the Greeks. It's the most complicated, intricate ceremony you'll ever see, and their uniforms are fabulous--a terrific photo-op!

Thanks for the idea about the changing of the guards. Are there certain times they do this? Are they any cuter than the Swiss Guards?:D

I see where the Parliament building is on the Athens map, but does anyone know the TIMES for the changing of the guard ceremony?

Kathy,

Thank you! You are going to just love Venice and Florence. I have been to Italy several times and just can't get enough!

Do you recall in Athens, are there taxis at the pier for us to cab in? How about coming back? Are there "taxi stands" somewhere? Major hotel?

Nancy

There are taxis at the port entrance. I had one driver in my face before I took 10 steps. I can't answer about getting a taxi back. We didn't take one.

There are taxis at the port entrance. I had one driver in my face before I took 10 steps. I can't answer about getting a taxi back. We didn't take one.

Chesie, When we finished shopping in the open air mall we walked to one end and asked a police officer and he pointed to a taxi stand about 30 yards away. No problem at all. We did ask the price both times to make sure there would be no surprise at the end. There are some shops in the Port building when you get back to the pier.

Kathy

Thank you! I have a feeling we will cancel our Princess bus "on your own" and do the taxi's. The excursion doesn't get going til 9:30 am or so. That would be blowing half the morning waiting for a bus ride in. Appreciate the info!

Chesie, When we finished shopping in the open air mall we walked to one end and asked a police officer and he pointed to a taxi stand about 30 yards away. No problem at all. We did ask the price both times to make sure there would be no surprise at the end. There are some shops in the Port building when you get back to the pier.

Kathy

Kathy,

Thank you! Someone told me to ask about price before you get in. I work in the medical field and one of my patient's office is in Athens. He offered to hire a private guide for us and I didn't know whether to take the Princess "on your own" bus ride into the center or a taxi. I'm starting to lean toward the taxi and I would be able to leave the ship earlier.

Thanks again,

Nancy

Nancy, definitely take the taxi into Athens; we were finished the Acropolis by 11:00 just as the tour bus crowd started the climb up (there is a pic of the crowd in our photos); and we spent a good 2 hours up there.

Thanks for the idea about the changing of the guards. Are there certain times they do this? Are they any cuter than the Swiss Guards?:D

Sorry but I don't remember exactly, but it's at least every hour, during the day. An interesting bit of trivia: the guards must by regulation ALL be 6'2" tall. You'll see that they're all exactly the same height. And yes, they ARE rather attractive, despite their skirts and pom-poms. :) See, now you're curious, I'm sure...

Hi everyone.

We will be in Athens for a full day in October. Will hire a private guide and get our own transportation to/from port.

Chesie

You can check out our tour with a private guide at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

However, I have to honestly say that you can do the whole thing on your own with a good guidebook! Of course, to me at least, the antiquities are the highlight of the city. The new Antiquities Promenade makes it very easy to walk along the broad tree lined path to the most important.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Depending on how much time you spend doing the antiquities in depth, it is very easy to take the subway to other spots in the city.

Have a GREAT cruise!

am returning to Athens after a number of years and DH and I have a Bazouki (sp) (my friend who had lived in Athens called it "Bezerky")restaurant on our schedule--its really an experience (that's where they throw the plates at the entertainment). Supposedly this was Aristotle Onnassis' favorite entertainment. As I recall. it was fairly pricely.

Nancy, definitely take the taxi into Athens; we were finished the Acropolis by 11:00 just as the tour bus crowd started the climb up (there is a pic of the crowd in our photos); and we spent a good 2 hours up there.

Kathy,

I think we are leaning more towards the taxi/metro at this point. I picked up a map and it doesn't seem so bad. If I can navigate NYC I'm sure Athens would be ok! I still have the Princess on your own reserved but it doesn't leave the trip til 9:30 am and drops you around 11. Just when the crowds kick in!

Nancy

Sorry but I don't remember exactly, but it's at least every hour, during the day. An interesting bit of trivia: the guards must by regulation ALL be 6'2" tall. You'll see that they're all exactly the same height. And yes, they ARE rather attractive, despite their skirts and pom-poms. :) See, now you're curious, I'm sure...

Curious? You betcha!! All 6'2? Ok it's too early to get the pulse racing this fast;) I'm use to the skirts. My husband is Irish and his club has a pipe band. But their not 6'2! Mamma Mia!!!

At the taxi stand there is a list posted with all the fares for going to the different stops in Athens. It's apparently illegal for them to charge you anything else. But that's only for the way in-- on the way back there's no such rule, or at least thats what I heard. we ended up hiring a driver for the day right as we got to the stand.

Does anyone know if the distance between the Monastriki station or Central Market to the National Archae. Museum is a short or long walk??

I would guess that it's about a 20-30 minute walk, but Victoria Station on the Green line is approx. a 5 minute walk to the museum. After we toured the Acropolis and other sites in that area, we took the metro from Syntagma Square (red line & transferred at Omonia to the green line).

I would guess that it's about a 20-30 minute walk, but Victoria Station on the Green line is approx. a 5 minute walk to the museum. After we toured the Acropolis and other sites in that area, we took the metro from Syntagma Square (red line & transferred at Omonia to the green line).

thanks, the maps are always deceiving. I thought the link between Syntagma was at Monastriki? We will be coming in from Piraeus and want to end up at the Syntagma station so I believe we need to get off the green line to switch to Syntagma.

ps. I found the answer. it connects at both stations to blue and red. If anyone needs a metro map. Here's a link

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dolphin-hellas.gr/Maps/Athens/Metro/AthensMetroMap.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.dolphin-hellas.gr/Hotels/Athens/images/Metro/AthensMetroMap_print.htm&h=480&w=504&sz=29&tbnid=EGMgRLtiwIMJ::&tbnh=124&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dathens%2Bmetro&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&cd=1

Archived