Diving and snorkeling in Antigua and St Marten

janymac

Hello fellow water lovers,

I was wondering if anyone knew of an operator that would take both scuba divers and snorkelers out on the same boat or at least the same company. We were looking and there are not very many operators out there. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

janymac:p

I haven't snorkeled in Antigua but have in St. Martin as part of a ship's tour and have to say it isn't that great. For St. Martin I'd make it a beach day or shop in town. If you want to snorkel, the best place I found was Pinel Island (which also has a beach). http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/PinelIsland.html You can easily take a taxi there (it's just up from Orient Beach) where you take a very short, open boat taxi to the island. There's a snorkel operator there or if you have equipment just go right facing the island from the dock and you'll see a lot of snorkelers in the water. The best snorkeling is to your left as you enter the water. You'll be in the middle of a shallow reef but if you go left the water eventually drops off to about 25', this is a very small channel and if you cut right across it you'll come to a reef with a lot less people (you won't be in the middle of the water by yourself). The island also had a few native guides with floats to act as unofficial life guards for the snorklers.

Hope this helped,

Randall

Archived