Sun Princess: SF to FLL thru canal

marie24

Well, it's been five days since returning home from this cruise! I am dealing with the Post Cruise Depression, but I am on the boards reading up on all the topics so that helps! This was a great cruise. We had been on the Sun during her inaugural year so it was nice to see her again. She is showing some age (but who among us isn't?). The canal was great, that was the whole reason for choosing this itinerary, what an amazing undertaking for those people who built it so long ago. The heat and humidity were worth every minute. I have no real complaints about the food or service, the things I could mention are so minor that it wouldn't be worth taking up the space in this post. Of course, there were people onboard who would probably beg to differ with me, there are complainers everywhere! I enjoyed the ports and the excursions as well. Our guides were good and informative. This was our first time to Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama and Aruba. Our other cruises have all been to Europe or Alaska or Canada/New England. I wouldn't rule out another trip to the same areas.

We had a BC cabin on Baja, for the two of us it was fine. We enjoyed the balcony. For more than 2 people it would have been pretty close quarters. We ate in Sterling Steakhouse twice and pizzaria twice, both were excellent! Used the dining room and buffet both for breakfast and lunch, dining room of course was much less hurried and crowded feeling. Entertainment was somewhat lacking, only a couple of production type shows, the rest were singers, magicians, ventriloquist, jugglers. Not great, but OK. For 15 nights, there were quite a few repeats of shows. We had a great relaxing time, didn't feel the need to go to bingo, trivia, art auctions. Just enjoyed being with each other (old married folks for 36 years!) Anyway, I just wanted to post my thoughts on this cruise. If you have questions I can help with please post them. Now, on to planning the next cruise!!

Marie

Since there isn't much going on on the Ports of Call board, will you tell us a bit about what you did while in the ports. I will be on the Coral with a very similiar itinerary heading to the Panama Canal. I would love first hand info. Thanks, Carole

Since there isn't much going on on the Ports of Call board, will you tell us a bit about what you did while in the ports. I will be on the Coral with a very similiar itinerary heading to the Panama Canal. I would love first hand info. Thanks, Carole

Twocats. We were on the same cruise as Marie. I can't tell you much about the excursions into the ports as we walked into each one. As Marie says, the Sun is showing it's wear, although the carpets were all replaced in September in dry dock in San Francisco and it is still nice at nine years old it needs some work. There were some plumbing problems, and smaller things like the rope lights for indirect lighting beginning to hang on the floor in areas. Of course this ship was built before a lot of new ideas arrived so there is no specific Sterling Steakhouse, but rather a side of the horizon court roped off in the evenings, similarly there is no internet cafe or card room and the future cruise office was housed in a closet. The coral is a beautiful ship that has these amenities and you will certainly enjoy it. We spent 17 days on that ship last year through the canal. The weather was a bit cooler this year but as Marie mentions it was still hot and humid. We met a couple of crew memebrs from other ships we've been on. Overall a fantastic cruise and I also am suffering from being off the ship and having to be back at work.

Marie - thanks for posting your comments. My husband and I are booked on that cruise for next Sept. I have a question about the Internet Cafe - RDR mentioned they didn't have one, but I remember reading somewhere that they had a few computers for passenger use - is this true? What was the charge for Sterling Steakhouse?

RDR - From your comment about the excursions, I assume you did the ports on your own. My husband and I stopped taking the ship's tours a few years ago - we prefer doing them on our own, at our own pace. Did you feel safe walking around all the ports? Any suggestions as to what not to miss?

Thanks,

Susan

We also just returned from the Sun Princess Panama Canal voyage. They installed an internet cafe (35 cents a minute) in the old cardroom on Promenade Deck. If you don't have Platinum status giving you free internet use, you are better off using shore cafes. The card players were upset with the change. They ended up using the lower dining room which was not open for breakfast nor lunch.

Regarding Ports

Cabo San Lucas - been there. We got a taxi for $30 plus tip for 2 to San Jose Del Cabo (about 20 miles) and back. Jesus was our driver. So we were in good hands!

Acapulco - been there. Took Princess History of Nation tour to mountain villages. The tour was new and had a lot a problems, but was interesting to see how the really lived.

Huatalco - took taxi for $2 each way to La Cruceita.

Puntarenas - got the name of a guide from the Costa Rica section of these boards. Tried to contact (http://www.mauriciovp@hotmail.com) Mauricio beforehand but was unsuccessful. Got off ship early and asked for him at dock. He gave us a rainforest tour for $35. See my postings in the Costa Rica section under "independent tour....".

Cristobal - just visited "warehouse" on dock that has inside made to look like a village with a number of store and stalls to sell "stuff". Free dancers provide colorful entertainment.

Aruba - took the "Arubus" to the Holiday Inn ($2 roundtrip) and used the beach in the morning. After lunch shopped downtown.

Fort Lauderdale - checked in at airport, then took #1 local bus downtown ($1 each way - half that for seniors) amd walked around the riverwalk and Las Ols Blvd.

We will be on the same cruise as twocats in April.:) Am always interested in all ports. Trying to make sure my 16 year old grandson can do interesting and fun things too.;) Asked him about ziplining and he doesn't want to do that so will figure out other things.:confused: Twocats did you read about the itinerary change. Am getting so excited.:D

Delores

Sterling Steakhouse charge is $15 per person. We really enjoyed it, food was great, we each had the filet mignons. In Cabo we did the Deluxe Coastal cruise on a really nice, big catamaran. It was about 3 hours long. Served free drinks (margaritas and soft drinks, beer) Also served fresh salsa and chips on the return to port trip. In Acapulco we did the city tour and cliff divers. Enjoyed that as well. In both Cabo and Acapulco we walked around town after the tours, did not enjoy the hassle of being hustled to buy stuff from every other person on the street. Very annoying to us. In Huatulco we just walked around the little port area, it was pretty, and although there were lots of vendors with things to sell, it didn't feel as "in your face." In Costa Rica we did the Eco-Jungle cruise, liked it too. Had a great guide, and he provide a lot of info on the country and people. Saw a lot of crocodiles and pretty tropical birds and flowers. In Aruba I just did an island tour and visited the aloe factory, my husband went on the scooter/snorkel trip and really enjoyed that! He hadn't scuba dived in many years so he decided to try the snorkel instead, now he is hoping to get back to scuba. A little disappointed in that it was Sunday when in Aruba, so many places were closed or closed early. Would liked to have done more looking in shops since that was the last port!! Hope this answers some of the questions posted.

Marie

Archived