Will we sail past Statue of Liberty?

palmplace

Hello, I am fairly new to cruising compared to you all. We are a family of four, our two sons are 23 and 19 YRS old. We are doing the 12 night southern caribbean on Explorer of the seas on 11th Jan 2009. We have booked a fly/cruise package and we are flying from Heathrow to Newark the day before, don,t know where we staying yet but next day we are transferred to the port. We have never been to New York and one of the highlights for us will be to see the statue of liberty. Will we sail past it? or if not will we be close enough to get photos? Thank you.

Hello, I am fairly new to cruising compared to you all. We are a family of four, our two sons are 23 and 19 YRS old. We are doing the 12 night southern caribbean on Explorer of the seas on 11th Jan 2009. We have booked a fly/cruise package and we are flying from Heathrow to Newark the day before, don,t know where we staying yet but next day we are transferred to the port. We have never been to New York and one of the highlights for us will be to see the statue of liberty. Will we sail past it? or if not will we be close enough to get photos? Thank you.

No you don't sail past it. The closest you get is about a kilometer(which is close enough for a picture) on sailing out and it will be to your Left.. If you are in NY a day before, and are in Manhattan(Ny City). If you take the free Staten Island Ferry you go right past it.

The challenge you will have on a January departure is that you will be leaving in darkness. By the time you get to the area of the statue it will probably be after 6pm assuming an on time departure. You will get a decent silhouette view of the statue but if you are concerned stop by a news stand and buy a postcard.

Thank you for messages, I had heard about the ferry, didnt realise its free, so thats a bonus!!

Thank you for the photo, it gives me an idea of the distance.

I hadnt thought about it being dark, stupid me! Hopefully will be able to get on early enough to get a few pictures. Post card is good idea if all else fails.

Will be lots more daft questions from me between now and January I expect!!!

Carole

Archived