Snorkeling in Bahamas in October

dirvin0500

My DW and I will be on the Sovereign the 27th of October and was wondering about water temp. We have 3 mm shorties but don't know if the water is such that we would need (want) them or not. We drive to port so the added space and weight isn't a problem (like flying with the new baggage fees).

What do you think???? Wetsuits or not.....

Most divers wear a wet suit in the Caribbean because of the fire coral...it's burns:eek: , and then if they are diving deeper. We have been diving and snorkeling in the Caribbean in Oct and Nov w/o wet suits. Weather was nice and water wasn't cold. We don't get cold or dive really deep anyway. I'd take them since you have room and decide that day. Talk to the Dive Master on the ship, he/she will have more info in that days events. Try not to dive within a few days after a storm...very verry merky.

My DW and I will be on the Sovereign the 27th of October and was wondering about water temp. We have 3 mm shorties but don't know if the water is such that we would need (want) them or not. We drive to port so the added space and weight isn't a problem (like flying with the new baggage fees).

What do you think???? Wetsuits or not.....

Bahamas water can be cool. I reacted after @ 45 mins in the water. My upper torso chilled. I returned to the boat for @ 10 mins to warm up, then reentered.

I doubt that a "shortie" is necessary, but I've since discovered that a surfer "Rash Guard" shirt provides some protection against the cold, as well as a bit of UV protection and wards off the little stingy guys.

You'll find the rash guards in dive shops. If you don't have a surfer dude build, the Henderson Aquatics brand has a loose fit shirt.

Here's an example:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/redsail/Categories?category=SHOP+Red+Sail+Sports+Aruba

Unless you're really hot blooded (temp wise), I'd go with the shorties at least. They will provide minimal protection from bumping into coral, other divers, etc., ease rubs from the BC, keep you comfortabily warm and provide some resistant to sunburn. I always wear a shortie or more in the ocean. Besides if you sweat, how will you know?

Randall

• 1 month later...

If you have room bring the shorty you can always opt out of wearing it.

My wife and I are going on the same cruise the 10/27 sailing of the Sovereign and were planning to go out with Stuart Coves while we are in Nassau. I am thinking I am just going to Snorkel in Coco Cay, the water is pretty shallow and it was great for snorkeling the last time we were there.

I was diving in the Caribbean last October... I took a 3mm full suit.. and I was fairly warm. This year, diving in September... I'll take a 2.5mm shorty and a rash guard underneath.

I also wear a rash guard for snorkelling.

I don't accept the point of fire coral.... you shouldn't be brushing against any kind of coral..... you'll destroy it.

Archived