Toddler-proofing cabin door

cma2

We will be sailing on the Carnival Liberty in a few weeks with our two year old. We have a suite with a balcony and I have read that it is very difficult to open the balcony doors (heavy) and also that there are childproof locks on them, so I am not too worried about that. What I am concerned about is him being able to open our cabin door into the hallway. The last few times we have been in hotels he has been able to open the doors. Of course we keep the top lock closed when we are in the room with him, but my concern on the ship is that we are going to have other family members (late teens, early twenties) babysitting him at night and I would feel better if there were a way to put a childproofing device on the knob/lever of the door. Does anyone know what type of door handles (knob or lever) are on the Liberty's cabins and more specifically, has anyone used something that worked to childproof the door.

Thanks very much for your help and responses!

We were on the liberty in a balcony with our two year-old in January and its a lever on the door. the cabin door is also quite heavy. There was no way my DD could open it on her own. There is a lock on it too so you could just have the babysitters lock the door. Also the cabin room is so small I doubt your child could open any door without everyone in the room noticing.

Julie

I was on the Glory in December with my just turned two-year old daughter and both doors had levers. The balcony door had a lock located towards the top of the door and out of reach of my DD. The balcony door was very heavy, and I don't think my DD could have opened it even without the lock. The cabin door my DD was able to open, and she could reach the lock. Granted, she is tall for her age and she has a very strong will, so with some determination on her part, she managed to open the door.

You know your child best, so if you are worried about it, I would purchase some type of lock or alarm for your own peace of mind.

Anyone been to McDonalds lately? They have Spy Gear toys and I'm using one on my pantry door so I know when little people are going in for an unauthorized snack! ha ha! It's a door knob thingy that sets of a very annoying alarm when someone moves it. I don't think I'd trust the safety of a child to it on a cruise ship though. Just thought I'd share :)

We took a big pack of various sizes bungee cords with us in December. Very useful for "locking" the cabin door and bathroom doors (to prevent any toilet diving). We will be bringing the bungees along again on Sunday!

The door is pretty heavy. My 7 year old sometimes had a hard time opening it. If you are concerned, I would agree with others about the door alarm. Maybe even sunctioning bells up high so your little one would not be able to reach it.

Archived