Shipping Ulu to Australia?

lbr20

Has anyone purchased an Ulu and either shipped it back to Australia or brought one back in their luggage. We would like to buy one, but are unsure whether customs will allow us to bring them into Australia. Our preferred option would be to post or have them sent from the store. I dont want to buy one and then have it confiscated. Any info anyone?

we went on an alaska cruise back in 2002 and brought one back into Australia, we just declared we had weapons on the customs forms

as we also had decorative knives for my son's collection. We are cruising on Sept 3rd and I hope to buy another/I did read the ships may not let you bring them aboard.

judy- The lines (and maybe even individual ships) vary in their policy. HAL had no restrictions and even sold ulus in the onboard gift shop. Other lines hold your ulu until the end of the cruise as you stated, while Carnival confiscates ulus and will not return them. The Ulu Factory in Anchorage has signs that advise and caution customers about Carnival's policy.

I wonder what Carnival does with all those confiscated knives. Christmas gifts for the crew's families? I am sureprised that Carnival Corp. doesn't have a company policy. Princess just held the knives until the end of the cruise (or so I am told). We had the Ulu Factory ship them for us. If I had it to do again I would probably just order online.

Would it be cheaper to order online than to buy in the tourist ports as well as less hassle by the sounds of things. We will be going mid september, do the ports have end of season sales?

We bought one of the cheap Ulu knife/bowl sets in Kethikan when we were there in 2005. I'm sure it was made in China. My husband has been using it for the last 3 years though, he really likes it in the kitchen. So, I just ordered a new one made in Alaska online yesterday. We will be in Alaska two weeks from now but would rather spend our time sightseeing than shopping. As long as he knew which one he wanted now, we just ordered it to have it shipped home. (Free shipping, by the way.)

http://www.theulufactory.com/products_catalog/default.asp

Would it be cheaper to order online than to buy in the tourist ports as well as less hassle by the sounds of things. We will be going mid september, do the ports have end of season sales?

The final cost is about the same if you buy from The Ulu Factory online or in the store and have them ship for you. The online price includes shipping. Yes, there will be sales in September but I'm not sure that the original Ulu knife would be on sale and I think the original, made in Alaska knife would be the best one to buy. You should get some great buys on other things though.

Has anyone purchased an Ulu and either shipped it back to Australia or brought one back in their luggage. We would like to buy one, but are unsure whether customs will allow us to bring them into Australia. Our preferred option would be to post or have them sent from the store. I dont want to buy one and then have it confiscated. Any info anyone?

I didn't realise you had started this thread lbr20. I asked almost exactly the same question here yesterday.

I wanted to buy some as souvenir gifts to bring back. I have also asked customs with not much help. I was worried they might confiscate them but it seems its ok (according to fless) as long as you declare them.

I wanted to buy some as souvenir gifts to bring back. I have also asked customs with not much help. I was worried they might confiscate them but it seems its ok (according to fless) as long as you declare them.Yesterday 08:29 AM

Same problem i am having, i would like to buy a genuine Alaskan Ulu and support the local industry and not some cheap chinese knock off, but i still want to get it home and not donate it to Aust.customs christmas gift list, like Carnival does, hehehe

I wonder what Carnival does with all those confiscated knives. Christmas gifts for the crew's families?

Archived