Booked RCI transfers in venice - will it be horrid experience?

We have booked everything through RCI for our Med cruise - flights, transfers and hotel in venice for 2 nights pre-cruise. OK, I know we'll have paid more than we might but we have elderly parents with us. I've been reading about transfers and waiting for hours for the bus to fill up etc. Anyone done the transfers in Venice with RCI who give us advice? We are staying at Hotel Carlton & Grand Canal.

Venice transfers are always interesting. If you booked your hotel through RCI, you will probably be in for a treat since they will most likely transfer you to your hotel via water taxi. Of course I am assuming your hotel is actually in Venice. Some of the cruise lines do provide a lower cost option where you stay outside Venice in Mestre where you can be transferred by bus. This is somewhat cheaper, but its like staying in Newark when you want to visit New York City. As for us, we will be in Venice in late September and are doing it on our own. Our hotel is costing us about $200 a night (total for 2) and we will use the local bus (bus #5) from the airport into the Piazzale Roma which costs 3 Euros (our hotel is within walking distance from the bus stop). Venice is a real fun place, but its also outrageously expensive for those not familiar with European travel (and it can even be pricy if you do know what you are doing).

Hank

Archived