Activity During Honolulu Airport Layover??

candydane

We will have a 3.5 hour midday layover at the Honolulu airport. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do during this time? Obviously it'd have to be flexible (in case of airplane changes) and close to the airport to reduce chances of traffic hassles. Maybe a Hawaiian shopping mall? Nearby park? How about a taxi to Waikiki beach?

We'd like some activity instead of just sitting arount the airport -- especially after our 6 hour flight to Honolulu! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Based on our experience getting around Honolulu and depending on your time of arrival, I don't think you would have much time to venture out far. Although it takes about 30 minutes to get to Waikiki, I would plan on 1 hour each way. That area has tons of traffic jams. That leaves you with 1 1/2 hours to do something. However, if you have never been to Honolulu, then a taxi cab ride to the beach may be worth the effort.

Curious as to where you are headed?

Unfortunately, a 3.5 hour layover is essentially no time at all. If you go out of the secured area, you'll need to go through security again to get back to your gate area - and the lines CAN be very long. You would need to be back at the airport at least 1-1/2 hours before your flight to ensure enough time to get to your gate - which would mean maybe 2 hours to go somewhere? Plus, you'd have to worry about your carry-ons, traffic, etc. etc. I'm sorry, but I really don't think you have enough time to go anywhere and leave yourself enough of a margin to be safe.

There is a small garden area before you hit gates 14-23 - you'll need to go downstairs to reach it (it's in the same area as most of the airline clubs). It may be a good place to hang out and catch some rays while waiting for your flight.

Spleen

I think with airport security the way it is that there is really not a great deal you can do in that time frame. Returning to the airport will require you to go through security and be back in time for boarding. So you are really only left with less than 2-1/2 hours total time to play (taking into account getting off the plane and out of the airport). Have you checked into what activities might be available at the airport itself? I know some airports have interesting things to do. You could take a taxi to Pearl Harbor to see the Arizona monument, the Bowfin, and the Missouri; you wouldn't have time to take tours though. You could go to the harbor (it's closer than Waikiki beach). I think there's a little beach park near the airport, but I don't know anything about it or if it's even worth visiting. BTW: If you are laying over for a flight to one of the other Hawaiian islands, you may be able to catch an earlier flight.

beachchick

Just want to point out that if you are traveling to one of the other Islands, there is a seperate terminal for interisland flights. You will have to exit the main terminal and catch the shuttle which will take you there. These shuttles run constantly, so it doesn't take all that long, but you will have to go through security again. Also your luggage must be booked through to your final destination, otherwise, you will have to pick that up.

There is a Space museum in the main terminal building you could visit if you're interested in something like that.

As beachchick mentioned it might be possible to catch an earlier flight to whatever Island you are going to, in fact if your luggage is checked to the final destination, it may be put on the first available flight.

Thanks for your comments. I was afraid there wouldn't be time to go anywhere. We're going to Kauai for a week. We've been to Honolulu before but it's been several years so thought it'd be nice to get out instead of sitting around the airport. But not worth the gamble of missing our flight!

There are other flights between our arrival and confirmed flights, but it's Thanksgiving week so all flights are pretty much booked up. We'll definitely try for "stand-by" just in case.

Thanks again.

I'll give you something fun to do. :D We enjoyed watching the little sniffing hound go around and check out the carry-on's of passengers. In just the 45 minutes that we were waiting for our flight, he found all sorts of goodies.:rolleyes: He even stuck his snout in my shopping bag but found nothing more than a pack of chips. Just follow him around for an hour or two and believe me, you will be entertained.;)

Sea Island Lady, I was travelling with my boss. She finished her apple just seconds before we got off the plane and did not have a chance to wash her hands. The little dog was so cute. He just could not believe that she didn't have an apple somewhere. When his handler looked through my boss's bag and didn't find anything, the dog seemed to be telling the handler to keep looking and she would find it! Definitely entertaining!

bug_dan: I've been meaning to ask on the board about the space museum at the airport. Have you been there? Was it worth visiting? DH is thinking we might check it out next time we go through HNL.

You are so right about the luggage. It's always freaked me out that my luggage can get to my final destination before I get there. We generally fly directly to whatever island we are staying on, but last time we flew through HNL going from Maui to Kauai. We were able to catch an earlier flight than we had booked. Good thing too, because our luggage had already been loaded on the earlier flight! I'm surprised that hasn't changed since 9/11.

beachchick

Just got back yesterday from our 18 days in beautiful Hawaii. The closest thing to the airport would be Aloha Tower, depending on traffic about a 30 min drive. Shops and resturants, this is where the cruise ships dock. Security was not bad, but you never know, we walked right thru. We flew Delta from Cincinnati and then Hawaiian Air to Hilo, Delta did check our luggage thru to Hilo on Hawaiian Air so we did not have to claim it and go back thru security.

Archived