water

sacway

Please, food and nutrition experts, help me with this.

I have a little note from a lecture that says "low H20 = low chemical activity"

Is this true? Apart from when I'm hiking in the desert, how much water is enough? Too much?

Other than an outright substitute for food (e.g., skinny professional models all seem to carry water bottles) does drinking extra water even when not thirsty really do anything to help a person lose weight?

Yes, it's true..low activity..because if your cells do not have water then sodium, chloride, and potassium channels don't open up and then neurotransmitters don't "flow" the way they should for your body to function as it should, particularly in areas of the central nervous system. Makes for less than optimal body functioning. That's why they recommend 8 glasses a day for physiological purposes, although a lot of fruits and vegetables have high water content in it. If you ever get dark circles under your eyes often means you are dehydrated. If you suffer from consitpation or bloating then drink more water

Coffee and tea don't count for water. Caffeine actually dehydrates the body. Water also sends signals to the portion of the brain responsible for eating and tells the brain you are full. Often more than not, if you are hungry you are really not truly hungry..you are thirsty because you are dehydrated.

This is from a medical persepctive learned from working as a doc...M

Please, food and nutrition experts, help me with this.

I have a little note from a lecture that says "low H20 = low chemical activity"

Is this true? Apart from when I'm hiking in the desert, how much water is enough? Too much?

Other than an outright substitute for food (e.g., skinny professional models all seem to carry water bottles) does drinking extra water even when not thirsty really do anything to help a person lose weight?

Not any type of expert but can tell you in the past whenever I have dieted I have always had trouble getting all the water they suggest down.

I am doing WW now and have a 16 oz. cup with a straw and for some reason I can fill in up and it is gone within a couple of minutes.

Very humid where I live and have noticed that my hands and feet no longer swell while I am in the heat. Also my feet used to hurt the first couple of minutes after I got out of bed on the bottom which no longer happens. From what I understand it is because I was dehydrated before and my body was storing water.

Isn't that interesting that you seem to retain less water by drinking more water!

Thanks for the replies. It's really easy to drink a lot when I'm exercising but on less strenuous days it's very hard to drink more. And there are the side effects, other than the good one you noticed. I keep a big glass at hand, with little enthusiasm.

Your post reminded me of something that I've done in previous summers. To make water more appealing, I would fill a pitcher then add something to give it a subtle flavor...like a handful of raspberries, or some citrus fruit slices, or unpeeled cucumber slices with a handful of fresh mint. It give the water a really nice little flavor and for some reason, makes it go down easier.

I have had a long plateau and just lost my first pound to get me out of it. I am going to make a real effort to drink 8 a day this week and see if it has any impact...will post if I see a change.

Ive read articles saying you should drink a ton..and articles that say you dont need that much...each offers their version of "research" to support their views...personally i drink 1-2 gallons a day...everyday plus coffee/diet dr pepper...and have never had any adverse effects. I am very active in the gym and usually drink about half a gallon there...then nurse the rest at work.

All that water helps me to shed water which i retain because of medications i take, plus keeps my kidneys nice and clean, ha!

This water, available at WalMart ($.58/1 liter bottle) comes in about 12 different flavors. It's carbonated, caffeine-free, sodium-free, has 0 calories, no fat, no sodium, no carbs, no sugar. Basically nothing but flavored carbonated water. (I don't know how they do it!) I found I wasn't drinking enough (plain) water, but drinking this favored stuff keeps my intake up where it should be. It also comes in 6 packs (I think) w/smaller bottles. My husband and I each grab a bottle a day on our way out to work.

Try it - you'll like it :)

Your post reminded me of something that I've done in previous summers. To make water more appealing, I would fill a pitcher then add something to give it a subtle flavor...like a handful of raspberries, or some citrus fruit slices, or unpeeled cucumber slices with a handful of fresh mint. It give the water a really nice little flavor and for some reason, makes it go down easier.

I have had a long plateau and just lost my first pound to get me out of it. I am going to make a real effort to drink 8 a day this week and see if it has any impact...will post if I see a change.

I'm interested in what happens. Do let us know.

That's a great idea, I have some of each of these, so I could do different things different days. I'll try tomorrow with a cooler.

OR - I used to live in the desert and back then drank about 3 gallons a day in the summer. I do think it's easier to drink fluids when I'm working out, can easily drink about 40 oz. (one bottle of G2 that I keep watering down till I finish my workout).

I admit to loving my morning coffee and I know that it's a diuretic so it actually increases my need for other fluids.

I'm interested in what happens. Do let us know.

That's a great idea, I have some of each of these, so I could do different things different days. I'll try tomorrow with a cooler.

OR - I used to live in the desert and back then drank about 3 gallons a day in the summer. I do think it's easier to drink fluids when I'm working out, can easily drink about 40 oz. (one bottle of G2 that I keep watering down till I finish my workout).

I admit to loving my morning coffee and I know that it's a diuretic so it actually increases my need for other fluids.

I'm still not getting 8 glasses a day but I am definitely drinking more...I have a full glass around me almost all the time and I am always sipping. I put a sliced lime in my glass and leave it there and keep refilling with ice and well water. Also, I dropped another pound!! So I am feeling confident that the plateau is over for a while. Eventually I'll have another one, I know. I didn't change my eating one iota, so all I can guess is that the water is part of it or it was just coincidence and timing. Using a tape measure rather than just watching the scale has helped me to not feel beaten. After a while on a plateau, you tend to second guess everything you are doing. This time I just kept hanging in there and didn't give in.

Today at 3:30-ish p.m. I'm going to start my 3rd glass of H2O (12 oz. each) then another one around 5:30, so really it won't be that hard to get another one in for 60 oz.

Archived