Celebrity or Carnival in the Caribbean?

suzies29

Hi Everyone! I am a newer cruiser and need help! My husband and I are looking at January 2009 for a cruise. We are looking at going out of San Juan on a 7 night cruise. Is there any reason not to go in January in the Caribbean?

Also, we think we have it narrowed down to Celebrity Summit or Carnival Victory. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have been on A cruise before, but my husband has not. I went on Celebrity Century and enjoyed it, but was a little bored on the days at sea. I did love the service on the ship, but found people (some other cruisers) to be a little bit stuffy. Anyone know where we can go, have a good time, and make some new friends???? We are even up for different recommendations...we just don't want to go to Mexico since we have vacationed there before a couple of times. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED! Thank you!!!!!!!

We also found the Celebrity atmosphere (and some guests) to be rather stuffy. For that reason, it would not be my first choice. But their smoke-free staterooms and balconies are a huge factor for us.

Carnival is great fun and we've always found its guests to be the friendliest. Service and cuisine won't be to Celebrity standards, but we have sailed Carnival 12 times and always enjoyed it very much. We did sail the Victory; it's a bit older and not our favorite deck plan, but does offer some great values.

Welcome to cruisecritic!

Weather is fine in January in the Caribean, January is fine time to cruise there.

Haven't been on the Victory but have been on 8 other Carnival Cruises and the Century. The Victory has a similar layout to Conquest and Spirit class ships of Carnival. The Century is more formal than Carnival. A LOT more men wear a tux on formal nights. I personally think of Celebrity cruise line as more of a county club type of cruise - passengers and activties. There aren't as many children on Century but on Carnival they have such a great children's program I have not been aware of the kids. The Victory has a pool behind the buffet, on Deck 9, the Lido deck, for adults only. Kids can be there but may not use the pool or hot tubs. They also have a deli which is great because they make your sandwich while you wait. (My husband loves their Rueban.) There are also games and activities during days at sea. On Carnival pizza and ice cream are 24 hrs. (as is room service) and they have a grill for hamburgers, hot dogs and fries that opens around lunch time.

You and your husband will have wonderful time no matter which ship you chose!

CRUISE LINES

Dolphin

Commodore

Regency

Premier

Cape Canaveral Cruises

Carnival

Royal Caribean

Celebrity

Princess

Costa

Thank you both for your posts...I think we may go with Carnival, but now we are still a little bit on the fence about wanting the Victory cruise for sure. I am not sure if we can handle a port every day.....I would LOVE to go to Barbados, St Lucia, and a couple other places on the itinerary, but not sure...it seems you either get a nice ship with a couple of ports or a not as nice ship with nice ports!

Hello again!

Have you thought of crusing from Miami on another Carnival ship? Then you'd probably get the 1st and last day at sea and may stop at their own island. There are some ships that go farther south but for 8 days. The Miracle goes to St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maartin but has 4 days at sea. The Libery & Freedom (Freedom is starting in Jan.) goes to Antigua, San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortola. but these are 8 day cruises - we love those! If you don't have a Carnival catalogue get one. Then you can see where each ship goes and the layout of the ships. Carnival is a good choice.

Archived