Rental Cars in St. Martin

cminatl

I really appreciate all of the info that everyone has replied since I posted this. I found someone at work who loves St. Martin and goes there a couple of times a year. I shared some of the information that I had gotten in reply to my post and she said that she books a rental car on Hotwire and never has a problem. I am going to check the rates there. I will be on the island on 9/17. I will post again when I get some rates.

• 3 weeks later...
Since you've mentioned it, just wanted to let you (and everyone) know that Sunset Beach Bar CLOSED two weeks ago, due to failure to pay approx. ONE MILLION Guilders (same as dollars, essentially) in taxes. A St. Maarten e-news letter that I subscribe to indicates that no doubt, new owners will get it open at some point, but no telling when.

Well, the facility has already re-opened as the Sunset Bar and Grill.

Your statement that Guilders and Dollars are essentially the same is flat-out WRONG. The Guilder, or Netherland Antilles Florin (Naf), is pegged to the Dollar at about $.56, so your million Guilder tab is about $560,000, certainly still a substantial amount.

A tourist visiting and seeing a price in Naf (perhaps in a grocery store or local shop) should just divide the price in half (50%) and add about 10% to that figure. Something marked as 50 Naf would thus be $25 + $2.50 or about $27.50.

gary

• 1 month later...
I really appreciate all of the info that everyone has replied since I posted this. I found someone at work who loves St. Martin and goes there a couple of times a year. I shared some of the information that I had gotten in reply to my post and she said that she books a rental car on Hotwire and never has a problem. I am going to check the rates there. I will be on the island on 9/17. I will post again when I get some rates.

Cminatl, looks like you've been back from St. Maarten for a couple of weeks. How did it go with you and the rental car??? We've rented for January and are anxious to hear from someone who has rented there recently.

Thanks so much.

Dinah

Archived