Sept.,2008 Transatlantic Clothing Needs

Hello Everyone!

We are sailing to Iceland, Greenland, Ireland, Dover,etc., in September. The weather

sites show cool weather at this time. I was just wondering (thinking of airline changes)

what people would be packing. Layered will be good but I'd also like to take along a few

regular sweaters, besides cardigan types. Probably a dumb idea as they are heavier!

We'll also need shorts for the days near FT.Lauderdale. (I took a transatlantic last May

and we had warm weather for part of our Baltic/Transatlantic 25 day trip.)

I hate wearing jeans all the time on excursions.....maybe a few cotton pants instead?

I will also bring crops, as I enjoy them in all weather. (I'm from Arizona)

Thanks for any info!

Joanne From Arizona:)

I would take a couple of light weight sweaters knowing our Brittish weather it can be cool in Dover and in Ireland. Our son lives near Dublin and he says its cool unless we have an Indian summer.

We did this cruise two years ago in reverse in Sept, cruising from Dover, to Glasgow, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, ending up in New York. Be sure you have a heavier warm jacket and gloves, as the day we cruised Greenland we were out on deck all day, and it was in the low 40's and windy. We would run inside to warm up, then go back out. You want to be outside to see the incredible scenery. It was fairly cold in Iceland, as well. I tend to layer rather than taking pullover sweaters (I removed those from my suitcase, as something had to go), so took long-sleeved tshirts, a couple of cardigans and hoodie sets, then my warm jacket. Mostly wore twill pants. I took my long underwear, too, just in case.

I hope you get good weather. That makes all the difference in the world.

We're thinking of this cruise for next year. I know there are no guarantees on weather, but are the seas rough? I take bonine for a touch of motion-sickness and wonder about the "bouncy" factor on this crossing.

Archived