No Refund of deposit re Non Smoking

Seabis

Cruisebore:

Your use of the term "bigot" towards me is abusive and is not in keeping with the spirit of sites such as these.

The bigots are those who want to hold on to their disgusting and unhealthy habit regardless of the well-being of the majority.

They are a dying breed, literally.

If you take exception to the use of the term bigot and consider it abusive and not in keeping with the site,why have you used it to describe smokers? You are as guilty as you allege cruisebore is of abuse. Maybe after all the insults you have given to smokers in the past you are running out of ones of your own.

cabinboy

Why sould P and O allow smoking in Ventura Pubs when it is not allowed in the Home Pubs, if you want to go for a smoke while having a drink in a pub you go outside for it so its the same with Ventura. Or take your drink outside and smoke there.it will be warm then. I would hate to sleep in a stateroom that has had a smoker in it as stale smells linger for ages. You will have a balcony so smoke out on the balcony instead. Or cancel your Cruise and go on another holiday on a Princess Cruise. Just stop moaning.

He's not moaning, he's asking a question. Just stop being mean:cool: .

I am sure you will all be very upset to hear that the self righteous, self opinionated, rude and arrogant Mr. Monacle is now on holiday (not cruising apparently) and will not be posting here for a while.

Hooray!

I am sure you will all be very upset to hear that the self righteous, self opinionated, rude and arrogant Mr. Monacle is now on holiday (not cruising apparently) and will not be posting here for a while.

Hooray!

May it rain continuously.......only to extinguish any passing cigarettes that would otherwise ruin his lovely holiday, of course.:D

Annie

Cruisebore:

Your use of the term "bigot" towards me is abusive and is not in keeping with the spirit of sites such as these.

The bigots are those who want to hold on to their disgusting and unhealthy habit regardless of the well-being of the majority.

They are a dying breed, literally.

This is also abusive Mutineer perhaps it would be better if you withheld such comments as well. Smoking like drinking and eating of smelly food such as curries is still legal in the country.

Hooray!

Peace (for a while at least) from pomposity personified.

Hooray from me as well

cabinboy

It is absolute nonsense to say there has been too much pandering to smokers when you consider that three P&O ships now have no inside venue for them and the others just one. Polls and posts have proved that the majority of non smokers are reasonable people with a sense of fair play and think that far too much notice has been taken of the tiny minority of anti smoking zealots who are so vociferous they give you a headache. Who are they to tell people what to do, telling them to give up. I assume it does not even enter their narrow minded thinking that people enjoy smoking and have no wish to give up. All they do wish for is a bit of fair play and a smoking bar is not too much to ask for. It is high time we heard a lot less from these zealots whose volume is far in excess of their number with their self righteous attitude and their conviction that they are right and everyone else is wrong.Their pompous and patronizing attitudes are boring to say the least and add nothing to sensible debate.

I wonder if you would agree that there may also be a few smoking zealots?

I don't really know any of you, but in the sense of fair play, rather than speak ill of someone in their absence, wouldn't it be fair to wait for that person's return and address their comments directly?

On other boards here at Cruise Critic, hosts generally remove personal insults.

Absolutely. There are anti social smokers as well as anti social drinkers. Unfortunately these people are usually of limited brain power and exist in most walks of life, witness the sunbed problems, drunks in towns at weekends, the list is endless. Zealots in anything are so convinced of their own superiority they have no interest in any ones point of view other than their own. Given this they are best ignored.

regards

cabinboy

Sadly our country seems to have more than its fair share of those who place their own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others, give and take is not a concept that comes readily to them.

But this one really takes the biscuit:

PLANS for a statue of comic Les Dawson could be blocked because people don't want the dead star staring at them.

Residents in a block of posh seaside flats have opposed the bronze sculpture.

They say the figure will be looking into their homes from the seafront at Lytham St Anne's, Lancashire.

Les's widow Tracy said: "I don't see how anyone can object to a statue staring - it's impossible."

The £60,000 memorial is due to be unveiled later this year.

Cb

Pro-smoking zealots are very much in the minority; if there are any, I can give you a reason, particularly in relation to the new restrictions by cruiselines. A very small minority of rabid anti-smokers have had their wishes granted, despite the fact that they all (and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong here) continued to cruise when the smoking policy was slightly more liberally applied. Now, the roughly 25% of the population that still smokes, together with their often non-smoking partners, are effectively barred from increasing numbers of lines.

I don't wish to smoke outside, assuming that outside is accessible, which on a ship it very well may not be. All most of us ask is balconies (aft, and separated from the rest of you if you are really that bothered by transient smoke that is blown away in a nanosecond) and one large, decent, indoor bar with good extraction. Ban it in cabins; I can appreciate that the following occupant does not want a cabin smelling like an old ashtray. Or do as many hotels still do, and have smoking and non smoking rooms.

Would the anti-smokers go on a cruiseline that banned coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, or any other of the many addictive or semi-addictive substances enjoyed by most of us?

Just be grateful we pay more taxes, don't live as long as the rest of you, don't clog up the Alzheimers wards, beat up our spouses or passing strangers after we've had a few, or live long enough to need all manner of treatments for diseases of old age. We are, in fact, an asset to society;).

Annie

Would the anti-smokers go on a cruiseline that banned coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, or any other of the many addictive or semi-addictive substances enjoyed by most of us?

Annie

You seem to miss the point that those items only affect the person who drinks them where you smoke poisons everyone around you. (to say nothing about the stink)

You seem to miss the point that those items only affect the person who drinks them where you smoke poisons everyone around you. (to say nothing about the stink)

On the subject of missed points, every time you drive a car you are spewing out pollutants far more harmful than some one smoking a cigarette. How come those that put on the exaggerated cough at a smoker 30 yards away are seemingly unaffected by traffic fumes. I presume they are also not bothered by the stink. I would also wager they are immune to smoke from barbecues as well.

When did you last hear of some one being killed by a car driven under the influence of a cigarette?

Look in any A&E dept late on weekends at the collected lowlife expecting to be patched up due to drunken brawls and the aggro they cause to the nursing staff. As some one once said, they would rather meet six smokers late at night than six drunks.

With respect I would suggest you are missing the point.

regards

cabinboy

On the subject of missed points, every time you drive a car you are spewing out pollutants far more harmful than some one smoking a cigarette. How come those that put on the exaggerated cough at a smoker 30 yards away are seemingly unaffected by traffic fumes. I presume they are also not bothered by the stink. I would also wager they are immune to smoke from barbecues as well.

When did you last hear of some one being killed by a car driven under the influence of a cigarette?

Look in any A&E dept late on weekends at the collected lowlife expecting to be patched up due to drunken brawls and the aggro they cause to the nursing staff. As some one once said, they would rather meet six smokers late at night than six drunks.

With respect I would suggest you are missing the point.

regards

cabinboy

Spoken like a true smoker.

NONE of the activities you mention are things we can do without but smoking can be eliminated without a question.

I doubt if there are statictics about accidents caused by people smoking at the time but I'm sure there must be some.

You've forgotten to mention people waring perfume & deodorant & lets not forget the deadly cow flatulence.

Fellow Smokers

Do not waste any effort in responding and trying to find a compromise with these selfish zealots; who will not be happy under any circumstances. If it is not us, they will be berating someone else who does not comply with their thinking.

Unfortunately it is the very nature of the beast.:confused:

Regards

Cb

Fellow Smokers

Do not waste any effort in responding and trying to find a compromise with these selfish zealots; who will not be happy under any circumstances. If it is not us, they will be berating someone else who does not comply with their thinking.

Unfortunately it is the very nature of the beast.:confused:

Regards

Cb

If you smoke, one good reason to give up smoking is to benefit those who live and work with you. If you cannot give up, you should make every effort to keep cigarette smoke away from other people....that's fair.

Quite agree Jimjams, but I also agree with some of the other posters regarding the anti-smoking lobby, alot of them will never be happy! I'm a smoker, my husband is not. I've never smoked in the house, hotel rooms, cabins etc in respect of my families health and comfort, I'm quite happy to go outside for my fix as I don't like the overwelming smell myself! But some people will never be happy until it's banned altogether. A good example for you all, my brother-in-law is a 5 times aweek pub goer who has spent years moaning about smoking in pubs (didn't stop him going in though) now spends all his time gloating about the ban but moaning about the price of beer and lack of people to talk too! Most of his friends were smokers! There's also the possibility they decided the were sick to death of him and now go elsewhere! Apologies in advance if me smoking on my balcony offends anyone, when I go on Ventura this Sunday. Yippee!!!

Quite agree Jimjams, but I also agree with some of the other posters regarding the anti-smoking lobby, alot of them will never be happy! I'm a smoker, my husband is not. I've never smoked in the house, hotel rooms, cabins etc in respect of my families health and comfort, I'm quite happy to go outside for my fix as I don't like the overwelming smell myself! But some people will never be happy until it's banned altogether. A good example for you all, my brother-in-law is a 5 times aweek pub goer who has spent years moaning about smoking in pubs (didn't stop him going in though) now spends all his time gloating about the ban but moaning about the price of beer and lack of people to talk too! Most of his friends were smokers! There's also the possibility they decided the were sick to death of him and now go elsewhere! Apologies in advance if me smoking on my balcony offends anyone, when I go on Ventura this Sunday. Yippee!!!

Have a great holiday lindauk;) ...6 weeks for me!

Spoken like a true smoker.

NONE of the activities you mention are things we can do without but smoking can be eliminated without a question.

I doubt if there are statictics about accidents caused by people smoking at the time but I'm sure there must be some.

You've forgotten to mention people waring perfume & deodorant & lets not forget the deadly cow flatulence.

Why do you consider the activities of the drunken low life I mentioned causing grief in A&E depts one of the things we cannot do without? I am sure the staff would be delighted to do without them. I am inclined to agree with cruisebores opinion, Post number 68. The items you mention in the last line are not something I forgot. They are just things that would not even occur to a sensible person.

regards

cabinboy

if you are really that bothered by transient smoke that is blown away in a nanosecond

Annie, with respect, this is the type of comment i expect from smokers who could not care less.

I am one of those non-smokers that support the view that smokers have the right to smoke and facilities should be be made available accordingly. But if there are smokers that really believe the rubbish above then I have absolutely zero sympathy with their so-called plight.

The smoke from a cabin next door can absolutely be non-transient and can linger for many minutes. Fact.

Regards

Gerry

Just be grateful we pay more taxes, don't live as long as the rest of you, don't clog up the Alzheimers wards, beat up our spouses or passing strangers after we've had a few, or live long enough to need all manner of treatments for diseases of old age. We are, in fact, an asset to society;).

Annie

Annie, do think that these are really salient points? I rather think that you have gone OTT!:rolleyes:

Annie, do think that these are really salient points? I rather think that you have gone OTT!:rolleyes:

Jimjams

I think most would find it difficult to argue against Annie's post, in particular her reference to the 5 billion nett GBP the smoker contributes to the Revenue's coffers. No smokers and the zealots would have to 'stump' up more :D

Cb

Archived