Zuiderdam Renovations

Mauijane

Any information/opinions on the new Zuiderdam renovations? We have booked it for next year (7 day Inside Passage -Alaska) because we hoped it would be like a new ship.

Also, we have never cruised before. Any advice on how to choose rooms? We are a family group so we will have one suite, 4 veranda rooms, 2 outsides and 2 insides (based on everyone's preferences/budgets). Because we are booking early we should have a good selection and would like to take advantage of the best rooms but don't know how to choose?

I see you are relatively new to the HAL board. It's good to hear from you.

Yes, you can expect the Zuiderdam to be looking her best for you. I sailed on that ship just before drydock. We could look back and see the workmen at their tasks as we pulled away in the bus to the airport.

The housekeeping department is constantly shining the shiny things and cleaning the bottoms, middles, and high spots. You'll be amazed. It's the spotless fleet.

Let's see now...I can tell you where I like to be on the ship. You may have other criteria. I like the convenience of being near the aft because I can zip right up to the Lido or the pool using the back stairs. Should you have family with mobility issues, you'll want staterooms near the elevator.

The staterooms low and in the center have less motion of the ocean.

Anyway, I'll bet you're excited about this trip:)

Any information/opinions on the new Zuiderdam renovations? We have booked it for next year (7 day Inside Passage -Alaska) because we hoped it would be like a new ship.

Also, we have never cruised before. Any advice on how to choose rooms? We are a family group so we will have one suite, 4 veranda rooms, 2 outsides and 2 insides (based on everyone's preferences/budgets). Because we are booking early we should have a good selection and would like to take advantage of the best rooms but don't know how to choose?

The ship is in great shape, I sailed it for 24 days right out of drydock in April, Venice-Barcelona, ship and service 'Excellent'...

Sailed on her for 24 days in late June into July. Reported BEFORE drydock that there were areas in many public areas where there were holes underneath carpeting caused by faulty concrete in the original construction. The holes are STILL there especially on the interior walkways to and from the Vista dining room all the way to the Vista show lounge. My wife tripped many times. We started to walk near each wall to avoid this problem. Obviously it was never fixed in drydock.

The ship looks very good. Neat and clean, considering being built in 2000. Kudos to Holland America. But please watch your step!!

Archived