Celebrity Baltic Tours

Maizy

My DH and I are booked on the Constellation Baltic cruise leaving England on 8/16. So far, have only booked St. Petersburg with Denrus. Am looking into ship's tours, private local tours and "doing it on our own". We're pretty much "doing it on our own" folks, but don't want to come to these far away places and expend our energies just finding an address.

Am concerned about waiting until we're onboard to book with the ship only to find what we wanted was sold out. But, often one finds out about wonderful places and tours from other passengers, especially at a cruisecritic party.

Does anyone have experience with booking on the ship - in the height of tourist season? Any do not miss tours offered by Celebrity or privately? Any warnings?

Thanks so much fo any advice,

We are just off the Constellation in the Baltic...In fact, we should be on it right now in Copenhagen, but we had to fly home early due to a death in the family...Also, this was our second Baltic Cruise, third Northern Europe, second on the Connie in Europe...

We had booked ALL of our excursions and tours VERY early (Private tour with Red October in St. Pete, Shore excursions elsewhere)...

I would NOT wait until you get on the ship...

I checked out the shorexes when we got on, just to see about this very issue...I'd say more than half were sold out before we boarded.

The first three ports for us:

Stockholm--We actually started in Stockholm, this was for the morning after the overnight and before we sailed at 2:00 pm--The Ice Bar excursion was sold out...I don't recall which of the others was...

Riga--ALL of the City Tours and most of the others were sold out. We had table mates who went on the Jewish Riga Tour, even though they weren't Jewish because it wasthe ONLY shore excursion they could get.

Gdansk--EVERY single excursion was sold out prior to boarding.

I don't recall past that since we had to leave when we reached Helsinki...

If you plan on doing these ports on your own anyway, then you don't need to worry all that much...I don't know which ports are on your itinerary, but, from my experience,some can be done without a tour, with others, it works out better to just get a tour...

We had planned on a lot of shore excursions for this one since we had been to most of these places on a prior cruise and wanted to head out of town in some ports for a different experience (Porvoo for Helsinki, Rakvere for Tallinn, Elsinore for Copenhagen) of had a specific need or desire...

If you just want to tour Helsinki or Oslo on your own, both have pretty good HOHO buses...Tallinn can easily be toured on your own...

Gdansk is pretty far from where the ship docks, so a tour may be helpful...hard to risk public transportation ad mistiming...

Stockholm is a pretty big city and the ships often dock at Frihamnen--not really condusive to public transportation...To do the Vasa Museum (do not miss) and Gamla Stan and other sights on your own in one port stop MAY be difficult if you don't know your way around...

Good luck...

Maizy,

If you are planning on doing the ports on your own, I would highly recommend reading the Northern Europe board (Click on the Port of Call - Europe, then Northern Europe) . Everyone over there is DIY and so many great suggestions have been posted for each port. We did the Constellation itinerary at the beginning of May and did all the ports on our own and saw so many great places.

Tina

Steve,

Sorry you had to cut short your trip because of a death in the family. I had read about it on another forum. My sympathy to both you and your wife. Thanks for the information. I shall spend time this evening booking some of the don't miss spots.

To Tina,

Have checked out the Northern Europe postings and got some good information. I contacted a few of the recommendated tour operators, most of whom seem to do private and very expensive tours.

Maryann

Archived