Skagway: Avis storefront experiences

curry767

Hey Guys,

I will be in Skagway shortly and we are picking up the rental car from Avis.

I would like to get a picture of how your experience has gone with Avis this year. Things I would to know is:

1. What time did you get there, and how long was the line (if any)?

2. How many ships were in town?

3. How long did it take you to complete the paperwork and be underway?

4. Did anyone miss out due to an oversale?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Curry

Curry -

We rented from Avis in Skagway 2 weeks ago.

1. We arrived there at approximately 8:30 am; there was nobody in line.

2. To my recollection, there were at least 3 ships in port that day. I definitely recall walking past one in the morning & saw more in the afternoon when we returned.

3. I would guess it took approximately 15-20 minutes to complete the paperwork and to check over the car for damage/dings, etc.

4. Did not witness anyone miss out due to oversale.

Curry -

We rented from Avis in Skagway 2 weeks ago.

1. We arrived there at approximately 8:30 am; there was nobody in line.

2. To my recollection, there were at least 3 ships in port that day. I definitely recall walking past one in the morning & saw more in the afternoon when we returned.

3. I would guess it took approximately 15-20 minutes to complete the paperwork and to check over the car for damage/dings, etc.

4. Did not witness anyone miss out due to oversale.

i have been trying to book online with Avis for June 09. Keeps saying I cant do. Is this becuse Im too early? Would anyone have telephone number of office please. With area codes etc. I would be ringing from Australia.

Thank you

Clinkjake - I am also from Australia and have had the same trouble as you trying to book via the internet with no luck, so I would be keen to get a phone number or email address as well!

Also I am trying to work out what time to book the car hire with Avis. If the ship docks at 7am, does anybody know roughly how long does it take to disembark and get to Avis?

We just rented from Avis in early July. We got there when it opened at 8:00AM. There was no line. I just checked our confirmation and it is dated 9/21/07. I know I booked within days of them opening reservations for 2008. Just keep checking. We had done the White Pass RR in 2001 and the trip to Emerald Lake far exceeded our expectations. Have fun!

Clinkjake - I am also from Australia and have had the same trouble as you trying to book via the internet with no luck, so I would be keen to get a phone number or email address as well!

Also I am trying to work out what time to book the car hire with Avis. If the ship docks at 7am, does anybody know roughly how long does it take to disembark and get to Avis?

Phone # (1) 907-983-2247

AVIS office opens at 8:00am, about a 10 minute walk from the ships. Depending on your ship you may be allowed off at 7:00am. Princess docking times are usually the time when you are allowed off.

According to the Skagway office, they will input their 2009 schedule after the close the this year's season. They said by the end of September or early October we will be able to reserve a vehicle for 2009 at avis.com.

We rented a minivan through Avis in early July. I was not able to reserve the minivan online but called them about a month before the trip and they changed the reservation from two mid-size cars to one minivan.

Their office is about a 10-15 minute walk from the ship. There is a shuttle but it was driving off just as we arrived at the bus stop so we figured we could probably be there by the time the next shuttle came by.

We arrived at Avis at about 8:30 and there was one couple ahead of us in line. We waited about ten minutes. There were only two ships in port that day so there were plenty of cars. It was a very easy process. They are very helpful and will provide maps and recommendations if you need them.

According to the Skagway office, they will input their 2009 schedule after the close the this year's season. They said by the end of September or early October we will be able to reserve a vehicle for 2009 at avis.com.

Thanks for the info. Will try later in the year.;)

We are late sleepers and we didn't get over to Avis until almost 11:00. Our car was still there ( a nice new Toyota Corolla) and it was a quick transaction. There were at least 4 ships in port, but we still had no trouble getting a good car.

Even though we started out late, we had plenty of time to drive to Emerald Lake and back. We stopped for lunch in Carcross and stopped often to take a lot of pictures. We had time for a little shopping in Skagway before we boarded the ship.

The scenery was absolutely fantastic. We had an overcast day but we still saw a lot!

Archived