cruising in the month of sept

freddymale

hello,

a group of us is booked on the miracle for sept 09.

we were all wondering what the weather is like for cruising in sept.

we will be departing from NY.

will the water be a lot more choppy?

what about hurricanes?

any info would be great

hello,

a group of us is booked on the miracle for sept 09.

we were all wondering what the weather is like for cruising in sept.

we will be departing from NY.

will the water be a lot more choppy?

what about hurricanes?

any info would be great

We cruised the Miracle in Sept. 2006 with NO problems. Sept. is VERY active for hurricanes, but your ship will always avoid any storms. Since you have a NY departure, you will spend part of your time in the Atlantic, which tends to be a little more bumpy than the Caribbean...............

It is hard to tell the weather a year in advance. Heck I don't even trust the 7 day forecast on the local news! LOL

I have sailed several times in September and avoided hurricanes. The water was no more choppy than usual.

The ships are huge and you won't notice the motion all that much anyway.

Focus on the other parts of your cruise. The weather can't be changed but you can keep a positive attitude and have a great time regardless!

We have sailed a few times from Baltimore, Jersey, and twice from New York. Normally we travel mid october. The atlantic can get quite rough at times according to the captain that is quiet normal for the area. But it is not anything to dreadful but it is worth noting if you prone to sea sickness

thanx for the info

I just don't want the other couples (both first time cruisers) to hate me if they have a bad experience.

I told them that the cruise is what ever they make of it

and that we are all going to have a blast no matter what:D

We have cruised many times in September since that is our anniversary month. Hurricanes are just a chance you have to take.Like mentioned above the ship will avoid the bad weather by sailing away from it. There is a possibility that the ports of call may be changed if the bad weather approaches your original port. The only problem we ever had was not the bad weather affecting the ship, but the hurricane had forced the closing of the New Orleans port for a day. We simply got an extra day at sea, waiting for the port to reopen. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

we cruised once in early september -- but it was Liberty's first year in Europe. What we loved about it was (and sorry about this) the lack of kids. There were actually adults in the ship's pools!! We were talking with one of the Carnival camp counselors and she was saying that all through the summer the ship would have between 600 and 700 kids. On the cruise we were on she said there were about 35. Once school starts it's a different ball game. Now I have nothing against kids -- I was once a kid myself! But I gotta tell you it was a pleasure!

CT Mak

I have to go along w/CT. I cruise whenever I think there won't be a lot of kiddies on board. September is my favorite cruise month because I'm pretty much assured that kids of all ages will have gone back to school. I love kids, have three and a grandson, but much prefer the quiet relaxation when I'm on a cruise.

I've never experienced any bad weather. The captain will take the ship out of harm's way, as they have plenty of notice. You may miss a port, but probably not.

August is the worst hurricane time on record. I've been through many hurricanes here at home, and I feel safer on the ship than I would here. (Katrina leveled my beachfront home.)

Anyhoo...that's my take. I have a cruise planned for September.:)

September, the PEAK of HURRICANE SEASON. Waves the size of mountains submerging the ship every few seconds. Howling wind driven rain that will flail the skin off your bones like a blowtorch. Everybody wide eyed and pale with fear. A complete epidemic of seasickness. And those are the good days. OR, it might be smooth calm and sunny. It...Could...Go...Either...Way!!!

The chicken hearted Captains always steer around the best storms. Just can't have any fun anymore.

OK, OK, I cruise a lot in Sep. Rates are low, kids are in school. And even tho it is the peak of hurricane season, storms are still rare. You might have an itinerary change due to a storm.

Dan

it was a little rougher coming out/into jacksonville than Port Canaveral, and i have heard the farther up north you are,the longer you will have the "rough" seas until you get to the smooth caribbean waters. They will go around storms. I would definitely do Sept again!

You actually are in the best situation for a September cruise.

We prefer cruising in September, like already stated, for the cheapest rates due to being the height of hurricane season and the lack of kiddies on board with you.

Those of us departing from Florida or Gulf ports have to worry about a hurricane not only hitting islands on our itinerary (like happened 2 weeks before our Glory cruise last year, which scrubbed Belize and Costa Maya from our cruise), but you have to worry about whether a hurricane might hit your departure port when you are set to depart or while you are away.

By leaving from NYC, the only thing that can happen to your cruise, is having a port changed due to it being hit by a storm.

Your ship will be easily able to steer clear of any hurricane and take you somewhere enjoyable.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Bill

we cruised once in early september -- but it was Liberty's first year in Europe. What we loved about it was (and sorry about this) the lack of kids. There were actually adults in the ship's pools!! We were talking with one of the Carnival camp counselors and she was saying that all through the summer the ship would have between 600 and 700 kids. On the cruise we were on she said there were about 35. Once school starts it's a different ball game. Now I have nothing against kids -- I was once a kid myself! But I gotta tell you it was a pleasure!

CT Mak

Don't feel bad...one of the reasons I picked September is the lack of kids and I have kids that are coming with me. They are young and attached to my hip though. I was hoping to avoid the run-around-obnoxious-unsupervised type.

Archived