Tampa pre Cruise

Sirdar

Taking the Veendam out of Tampa on January 11, 2009. I saw some info posted elsewhere on hotels convenient to the port (Channelside??) but the rates (well it is Florida in winter) were in the $200 per night and up range. I hate to pay almost as much for a couple of nights on land as for the cruise itself. Suggestions?--or do we just bite the bullet?

I think you should post this over on the Holland America board. This is the princess board. Also there is another forum on this site called North America Homeports forum. Scroll down to there, then hit East Coast Departures, then Florida departures. there is all sorts of info about Tampa hotels.

Marilyn

Taking the Veendam out of Tampa on January 11, 2009. I saw some info posted elsewhere on hotels convenient to the port (Channelside??) but the rates (well it is Florida in winter) were in the $200 per night and up range. I hate to pay almost as much for a couple of nights on land as for the cruise itself. Suggestions?--or do we just bite the bullet?

There is a Townplace Suites in Temple Terrace (not far from downtown - about a 15-20 minute drive to the port max) at that time for a AAA rate of $80. If you are seniors, it's $76 a night. The area is good, close to Busch Gardens if you decide to go there.

The closer you get to downtown, the higher the rates.

I live in the Tampa area. I would suggest looking in the following areas: downtown, Westshore, Airport or Ybore. The port is located at Channelside which is in the downtown area. The other areas I mentioned are 5 to 15 minutes away from the port. Here are few suggestions:

Hyatt Westshore

Marriott Westshore, Marriott Airport, Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina

Renaissance Tampa International Plaza (Next to International Plaza for shopping Restaurants and Airport)

Embassy Suites Downtown

All the above are nice places.

Good luck!

Kidding!

I think you'll find that Marriott is a comparatively pricey brand anywhere in Florida in winter (Rennaissance too).

If you are looking to avoid a car rental and simply want a fair roof over your head for a pre-cruise night, then I'd check the major online travel agencies for Tampa Stadium area hotels (HoJo, Extended Stay, Comfort Inn) that offer free shuttle to the airport where you can connect with the cruise terminal shuttle. There are a number of these hotels in the $80-120 range. Otherwise, if you are spending more than 1 night for a pre-cruise extension, then I rent a car and stay on the gulf beaches of Pinellas County (St. Pete) where there is a wide range of accomodation (some surprising affordable).

Good luck!

I live in the Tampa area. I would suggest looking in the following areas: downtown, Westshore, Airport or Ybore. The port is located at Channelside which is in the downtown area. The other areas I mentioned are 5 to 15 minutes away from the port. Here are few suggestions:

Hyatt Westshore

Marriott Westshore, Marriott Airport, Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina

Renaissance Tampa International Plaza (Next to International Plaza for shopping Restaurants and Airport)

Embassy Suites Downtown

All the above are nice places.

Good luck!

Those are all approx. $200 a night at the time, unfortunately. I was trying to direct them to a relatively nice area, but not so "tourist laden" as to command the higher rates.

If you are not "party animals" I would suggest that you stay away from Ybor.

Archived